Jump to content

Waterproof hook up socket


Recommended Posts

Sparky7 - 2016-11-24 2:49 PM

Hi everyone, I am trying to source a waterproof campsite style blue socket to install outside, so as to hook the camper up.   So far, no can find.   Does anyone else use on of these?   Any info gratefully received.


I assume you are talking about fitting a socket on an outside wall at home.  A convential outside 13 amp socket should serve the purpose, to which you can convert to a blue socket using a short connector like this:



This will be more versatile (and more weatherproof) than fitting a blue socket directly to the wall, which is the other way.  This one would do the job nicely:



and there are double socket versions too. 


The easiest way to fit one is to drill through the wall from behind an existing internal wall socket, then you can simply wire the outside socket off the ring main as a spur.  (The Wiring Regulations now require all installations of outside sockets to be done by, or inspected by, a qualified electrician.)


Link to comment
Share on other sites

The hook-up outlets I’ve seen on campsites abroad have either been set into some sort of ‘box’ that would provide weather protection, or have no obvious weatherproofing.


I’m not sure if the type of weatherproofing required for a socket intended to accept a UK-norm 3-pin plug is necessary when a CEE plug is involved. Certainly IP44 ‘weatherproof’ outlets are readily available






Link to comment
Share on other sites

Derek Uzzell - 2016-11-25 8:10 AM.... I’m not sure if the type of weatherproofing required for a socket intended to accept a UK-norm 3-pin plug is necessary when a CEE plug is involved. Certainly IP44 ‘weatherproof’ outlets are readily availablehttp://tinyurl.com/jtxllgthttp://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/mk-outdoor-socket


Correct, CEE wall sockets (i.e. blue 16 amp ones) are downward slopping and sufficintly weatherproof, so if you only require the socket for a blue caravan-type plug, that's the simplest way - except that one of these would require its own 16 amp fused supply cable from the consumer unit, adding considerably to the installation cost.  I'm  not sure you can spur a 16 amp CEE socket directly off a ring main, even though a ringmain carries 30 amps, because it would not be protected by a 16 amp MCB.


The advantage of using an outdoor 13 amp domestic socket when you are providing ourdoor power at home, which can be spurred (without a fuse or MCB because the fuses are in the 143 amp plugs) from anywhere on the ringmain and will also serve for plugging the lawnmower, pressure cleaner etc in there.  The power supply will be limited to 13 amps rather than 16, but that will usually be more than enough for a MH.


Note that whichever type of socket you fit, any outdoor socket has to be fitted or inspected by a qualified electrician these days.  I bought and sold houses recently and these days the solicitors want to see proof (an electrician's certificate of work) that all electrical work has been done to these modern standards.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

StuartO - 2016-11-24 3:45 PM


(The Wiring Regulations now require all installations of outside sockets to be done by, or inspected by, a qualified electrician.)


The previously tightened regulations which dramatically increased (from about 2005 I think) the amount of electrical work that was notifiable (and hence effectively requiring certification from a member of a qualifying body) were relaxed in 2013 to remove most work from the requirement of notification. Installation of external sockets was one of the relaxations.


Patently, such work should be carried out to the wiring regulations, and by a "competent" person, but it is not outwith the domain of DIY work (for a competent person), and is not notifiable subject to certain conditions (e.g. it is OK to "spur" it if you adhere to the regulations, but a new circuit back to the consumer unit would be notifiable).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bow to your superior knowledge.  We had some work done recently involving an extension (for towel rail purposes) to the immersion heater circuit at home and the electrician gave us a certificate - which referred to notification but curiously enough didn't seem to specify the work all that closely.


When we sold our house last year I remember the Buyer's Solicitor wanting certificates for all electrical work after a certain date - actually he just asked if any work had been done since the elevant date and would presumably them have asked for certificates.  Not sure how an inspection can tell which work was done before and after the relevant date but it's obviously not a good idea to own up to work as being recent if you don't have a certificate!


Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the previous changes up to the 2013 reversion, a significant amount of work was notifiable (and thus need either inspection, or a self-certifying electrician).


It really was a work-charter for electricians (a good few of whom would aver, even after 2013, that all work had to be done by a qualified self-certifying sparks).


The 2013 reversion made very little work notifiable, thus going back to the position before the previous changes. In very broad terms, the only work now notifiable is replacement of a consumer unit, addition of a new circuit (all the way back to the consumer unit), and work in a "special location", the most common, and just about the only one other than saunas and swimming pools, being in a bath/shower room, within a given range of a "water feature". Depending on your towel-rail installation, it may have fallen under the latter.


It certainly was the case prior to 2013 that external wiring and socketry was notifiable, as indeed was much of any work carried out in a kitchen; these are now exempt.


I wouldn't encourage anyone who is not competent and knowledgeable enough to wire to the required standard to attempt to do DIY, but neither would I discourage anyone who is capable, but doesn't realise that the rules have reverted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...