Which Club?

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I've been a member of the CC for some time and have had only positive experiences. However, I'm thinking of widening my choices and also joining the C&CC. What is the opinion of the members who are in both and which do you prefer?

Also, are there any others that I should consider instead of the C&CC?

Edited to say - Should I have posted this in the 'Sites' forum?

We are in both as doing so doubles the options of where to stay and we feel both are good value.

We don't "prefer" one over the other; some in each have worn sites and less than perfect wardens.[Have to forgive this thought as I am not always at my best!]

CC magazine runs rings round the C&CCs. Generally doing good articles on locations/sites and equipment rather than three line reviews. Prefer the CCs editorial response to Letters rather than the C&CCs lack of response and so lack of knowing the Clubs stance.

C&CC rallying system is much better for us solely as its flexible; you don't need to book in advance just turn up if your travels or wishes take you there.

They are both good; both not prefect and lets hope both prosper.

I am a member of both. In a fit of pique I joined the C&CC when the CC introduced compulsary electricity charges. I have never got round to dumping one or the other mainly because of the wider choice of sites.

I definitely don't agree with Ocsid about the CC magazine and I can only think the writer has not been a member for too long. I find it totally boring and too commercial. Speaking of being commercial, treat them as businesses and then yes, especially now the C&CC now run the Forest sites, there is not a lot between them.

I have in the period of membership of both tended to prefer the CC, perhaps because of ties built up over the years. This year I have broken the mold and gone more with the C&CC and I can see that continuing except in the winter months when the CC offers a better and wider choice of sites and electricity is more obligatory.

My findings are the C&CC is on the whole cheaper for travel insurance, and sites and I got a very good deal on the ferry fare for next year through them. The over 55 site fee concession is good news and if you are retired their winter sun rallies appealing. The CC has niether of these!

No other clubs can match what these two offer and I will probably continue to pay subscriptions to both.

peedee

Hi Frank

We have been members of both clubs in the past but have only continued with the Caravan Club. In our opinion whilst both have their benefits and downsides we prefer the more organised sites of the CC. Our analogy is it is like comparing Marks and Spencers to a boot sale, the Caravan Club being M&S. If you like bootsales then C&CClub will be for you if you like order and organisation then stick with the CC if you don't mind either then they will both do.

I find the CC magazine very good and very informative and that alone makes the subs to them worthwhile plus the benefit of the CL's (the C&CC don't come close in the sites area) though I have always found the insurance, with the exception of Mayday and Red Pennant, uncompetative.

We have not found any other of the organisations (MHC for instance) much use but that is not to say others don't.

As with alot with motorhoming its horses for courses and only you can judge so it may be as well to try both for a year and dump the one you don't like.

Bas

We have been members of CC for 38 years, and C&CC for 12 years.

We use both club sites, although we lean toward C&CC, with it's age concessions, if both have sites in the area we require.

We have used both Red Pennant and Carefree, and cannot fault either.

CC proved excellent when in 1971, our new Austin Maxi burst a suspension unit in Eastern France - very little British Leyland presence at that time, but CC sorted the problem very quicly.

Carefree has always done what we asked, but thank goodness, we have never needed breakdown assistance again.

Each year we feel that we should save the cost of membership, by dropping one club, but the extra spread of sites available, sees us renewing both, each year, and with the increase in touring which is taking place, we think that it is beneficial to maintain both memberships.

One point I would make, though, is that I am not in agreement with the CC allowing internet site bookings without deposits, as some members will book sites for every weekend, and cancel at the last minute, so that sites become booked up well in advance, depriving others of the opportunity. A deposit on alll bookings, as with C&CC, would stop much of this.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Thanks for the tips everyone. After reading Basil's post I'd decided that I'm more of an M & S man than a car boot person and I'd more or less made up my mind to save a few bob and stick with just the CC.

Having read Lizken however I'm not sure again! I think that I'll follow Basil's other excellent advice and try the C&CC for one year and see how it goes.

Another reason for this post was to see if anyone recommended any other clubs as I've come across one just for motorhomers but it doesn't seem to brilliant so I'll stick with the CC and also join the C & CC for the next year.

Ocsid - 2006-12-16 8:54 AM

Propably we have not been a member of both for very long as suggested. C&CC now 30 years and CC for 27 so I suspect we are still new!

Oopps... just shows you how you can get the wrong impression, still don't agree with you though.

peedee

lizken,

Your last comment about CC booking on the Internet really annoys me, as I know it annoys Wardens as well who have signs up saying site full, and they have empty spaces as people have not turned up. In my opinion it is gross mis-management of sites to allow this to happen, and much lost revenue which after all is members money.

They only have to demand a sum be paid for cancellations without genuine reason, and if the same member was seen to do it regularly refuse membership.

David

Frank Wilkinson - 2006-12-16 8:16 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. After reading Basil's post I'd decided that I'm more of an M & S man than a car boot person and I'd more or less made up my mind to save a few bob and stick with just the CC.

Having read Lizken however I'm not sure again! I think that I'll follow Basil's other excellent advice and try the C&CC for one year and see how it goes.

Another reason for this post was to see if anyone recommended any other clubs as I've come across one just for motorhomers but it doesn't seem to brilliant so I'll stick with the CC and also join the C & CC for the next year.

Frank

Since you can visit most CCC sites without becoming a member, why not visit a few and see how they compare?

Car boot sale vs M&S seems, to me, to lack balance.  Looking at the current rash of sickeningly smug and self congratulatory M&S ads on telly, is that really where you want to be with a motorhome (or anything else for that matter!)?  M&S does very good shirts, socks, and undies, and long may it do so.

I agree as to the difference between the two mags.  CC looks and feel more professional, CCC is in reality a bit of a comic, with amateur layout and gaudy graphics.  However, the CCC mag is relatively more open in fostering (some) discussion of contentious issues whereas the CC prefers to avoid anything unsettling.   CCC will publish the odd critical letter, but invariably puts the CCC view in response, CC won't print the letter but sometimes gives a sanitised version of comments submitted by readers with an anodyne response.

CCC sites and CC sites are almost equal in facilities, appearance and manic grass cutting.  CCC site wardens, generally, are more relaxed as to where/how you pitch up, CC site wardens are far more likely to want you "on the pin", all in neat little rows, just like a holiday camp.

CCC members seem on the whole to be fairly relaxed and outdoorsy, CC members a bit stiffer and more formal.  Crude parody from days gone by, but CCC = public bar, CC = saloon bar.  There are, of course, those in the snug, who don't really want to admit they're in a pub at all.  However, we won't count them, will we?

Overall, I just find the CCC a bit more relaxed and easy going, with a richer and more interesting mix of people  (which, before that comment is misinterpreted, is not to say that I find those in the CC boring, uninteresting or an any way deficient).

Try it and see. 

For real preference, I'd far sooner be on almost any continental site than either of the clubs' sites.  No booking expectations, turn up and leave when you like, come and go as you wish, pitch where and as you will, mostly choose your pitch, and the other campers, generally, shut up at around 10:00 at night and don't just retire inside their awnings and talk and drink until past midnight (unless they're members of the CCC going to an international rally, that is!), oh, and the mower only gets used when needed, not as a form of displacement activity!

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Brian, Thanks for that. The M & S simile was a good one I thought but I don't think that we need to take it too literally! I take the point about not having to join and try out the C & CC clubs as a non-member, which I hadn't really considered. However, I think that being part of a club is more than just its sites. I actually enjoy the CC magazine. Some months are better than others but there can be good articles on places to visit for instance and reviews on their sites, which are handy.

I think, in fact I know, that I shall join the C & CC for a year and give it a try. We're not talking about a lot of money and I will get their magazine and will be able to compare their other services.

I too do what you do, in that I go to France slightly off season and never book but just roll up, although of course in August, this is asking for trouble!

With the CC sites in this country I find that it's not worth the risk as they are very popular and I always phone in advance. I also suspect that CC sites are run on tight staffing levels whereas commercial sites can possibly employ more staff, particularly part-timers, which helps with dealing with those of us who just roll up.

It appears to me that most replies are concerned about what I term the commercial aspects of belonging to either or each Club. Fair enough, if you are contemplating joining an organisation for what you can get out of it. Yes, Club A may have better toilet blocks in their campsites, or Club B do a better deal on cross-channel bookings, etc. But surely the measure of any Club, whether for motorhomers, sportsmen or lonely wives is - what can I and the other members do the enhance both our and others enjoyment of the Club? None of the replies seem to touch on the ethos on which both the Caravan Club and the Camping & Caravanning Club were founded - a group of enthusiasts getting together at weekends and other times, in a field, with their camping unit ( in our case, Motorhomes) and having a good time at minimal expense. As a member of both clubs, I feel the Caming & Caravanning Club score because the vast number of 5 day or less 'Meets' are not bookable and open to all members of the club. Unfortunately, Caravan Club 'Rallies', of whatever length are open only to those who have booked, which, to me, does not go along with the ideal of motorhoming, which is more 'let's-get-up-and-go-on-the-spur-of-the-moment' camping. But, whichever Club you camp with, you can be assured of a good weekend between enthusiasts at an economical price. Enjoy! :-D

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Peter B - 2006-12-17 7:41 PM It appears to me that most replies are concerned about what I term the commercial aspects of belonging to either or each Club. Fair enough, if you are contemplating joining an organisation for what you can get out of it. Yes, Club A may have better toilet blocks in their campsites, or Club B do a better deal on cross-channel bookings, etc. But surely the measure of any Club, whether for motorhomers, sportsmen or lonely wives is - what can I and the other members do the enhance both our and others enjoyment of the Club? None of the replies seem to touch on the ethos on which both the Caravan Club and the Camping & Caravanning Club were founded - a group of enthusiasts getting together at weekends and other times, in a field, with their camping unit ( in our case, Motorhomes) and having a good time at minimal expense. As a member of both clubs, I feel the Caming & Caravanning Club score because the vast number of 5 day or less 'Meets' are not bookable and open to all members of the club. Unfortunately, Caravan Club 'Rallies', of whatever length are open only to those who have booked, which, to me, does not go along with the ideal of motorhoming, which is more 'let's-get-up-and-go-on-the-spur-of-the-moment' camping. But, whichever Club you camp with, you can be assured of a good weekend between enthusiasts at an economical price. Enjoy! :-D

Peter, thank you for your post which makes good sense if that's what you're interested in. Unfortunately I'm not looking for weekend rallies and such. My diary is very full because of commitments to an organisation of which I'm very involved and I'm also in my local golf club!

Last year I managed just five weeks holiday in my touring 'van, despite being more or less retired so I've changed to a motorhome in the hope that it may encourage us get out more. I just couldn't be bothered bringing my tourer home and hitching up and all that stuff, just for a long weekend, so we only used it for proper holidays of at least a week.

I'm mainly interested in the sites network and I'm pleased to see that many CC sites are open all year. We've decided to visit York for three or four days in the New Year and stay on the CC site, which is walking distance from the city centre.

Hi Frank- all this tosh of M&S v car boot sales, find repugnant, say if you should go into M&S to buy a shirt for instance, how then would you feel if you were told you MUST also buy 3 pair of socks, not best pleased I would guess, but that same dictate applys to electricity charges with the CC. Also would you prefere to patronise an organisation that is trying to ban aires type sites in Europe, if they are not, why does a leading spoksman for the CC advocate this, and the club still will not clarify their position. Food for thought. Regards chas

From a previous posting by Brian on another thread

:-

"I just don't know how the Spanish, Portugese, Italians, French and Germans manage! Must be absolute hell for them, what with everyone just turning up unbooked: all that disorganisation - and they manage to smile at you when you arrive (well mostly!)."

This sums it up for me.

The worst scenario is for these two mamouth organisations mentioned to get a monopoly - which I see they are working towards.

Most of the "other" sites don,t charge any more than the two clubs members crates for their camp sites anyway.

Do we actually want all the facilities that these two clubs aspire to provide? and if not why do we have to pay for them?

Been a member of C&CC for nearly 10 years. Used one site once.

C.

It's all very subjective really when it comes to opinions on clubs. One thing's for sure though - for less than the price of a tank of diesel you can enjoy the benefits of one of the clubs for a whole year, both the major clubs being very good value.

depends what you want really if like us when you are knackered ned a shower and then get tucked in for the night then we are easily pleased .i dont care what club is doing this or they are not doing this what the heck when you need a rest a lay by will do .everyone is so picky nowadays moaning about what club is best well have fun and get out there and dont worry about anything other than are they open yet and do they have elec hook up to watch corrie lol cheers andy..

To Peter B

Ref CC Rallies. Whilst most people book in advance this is not deemed necessary by the Club. If you just turn up you should be allowed to stay, if there is room.

Unbooked can cause problems if you want to join in any social especially when catering is involved. A lot of popular rallies get booked up a year in advance especially at Valentines, Christmas and New Year.

Sorry our New Year is full. £70.00 for four nights including site fee with professional entertainment one night and make your own on the three other nights. Four course hot meal on N.Y.E.

I wholeheartedly agree about deposits when booking we are also members of both clubs and are absolutely sick and tired of not been able to get on sites because of selfish people that have the time to book up as many sites as they can and cancelling last minute. My son and his wife who both work shift systems and are members of both clubs were unable to stay on either club sites last summer as every site they tried to book was full. Needless to say they are not renewing their memberships as they have stayed at park sites with no problem which makes me think that that is probably down to the depost system.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Is this not another urban myth? Sites may just be full because they really are full! I can't believe that anyone would book several sites for the weekend just because they can't make up their mind where they are going.

Is there any real proof that this practice is widespread?

If it was, surely the wardens themselves would be complaining to head office to have something done about it.

Finally, I shall be on a CC site in the new year and I'll make a point of asking the warden if it really happens.

Frank Wilkinson - 2006-12-22 8:28 AM

Is this not another urban myth? Sites may just be full because they really are full! I can't believe that anyone would book several sites for the weekend just because they can't make up their mind where they are going.

Is there any real proof that this practice is widespread?

If it was, surely the wardens themselves would be complaining to head office to have something done about it.

Finally, I shall be on a CC site in the new year and I'll make a point of asking the warden if it really happens.

It's not entirely an urban myth, Frank.  Both Clubs do, from time to time, complain about "no shows".  However, what seems the larger problem is the number of "weekenders".  It is quite noticeable that many sites are fully booked weekend after weekend, but almost invariably have space Sunday - Thursday nights.  Thus, if you want to stay for a week, you can't. 

I have also found that if you want a serviced pitch for a week - at a site with both serviced and non-serviced pitches - and there are serviced vacancies for Sunday-Thursday only, but with non-serviced vacancies for the weekend, you cannot take the serviced pitch for the weekdays and move to the non-serviced one for the weekend.  However, I do not know how widespread this inflexibility is.

Neither of the clubs seems keen to deal with the weekending "pitch blockers", who I suspect cost both clubs dear in lost weekday revenue.  After all, if one is touring for more that 5 days at a stretch, where is one supposed to stay at weekends?  Surely one is not expected wild camp??  Oooh, naughty me, how could I?  Mouth duly washed!!

We are currently in CC and C&CC. Not renewing C&CC though, as we find there sights are less good, and for our purposes, locations not beneficial. Also, do not like the attitude of 'Site Managers' , nor indeed of the people at the top. We do have specific reasons for this, which are not relative to the debate at present However, whilst I have not tried it, I understand you cannot book single nights in advance,on C&CC sites, and given the 'touring' nature of motorhoming, very often do not wish to stay more than one night, rather using sights on an 'en route' basis, depending on where we are.

In terms of the 'fullly booked' problem - CC only

firstly if the internet shows 'full' there are often spaces available by contacting site direct, and once you are on any particular site, you are in the best position to ask daily (or even several times per day!) if space has bcome available thereafter.

secondly, you cannot now book on more than one site at a time, even on the internet, as they have changed thebooking programme from that used when it first came on-line

thirdly, personally I do think there should be a 'deposit' system, proivded this is transferable in the event of a 'pre-advised' cancellation

fourthly, having spoken to a number of CC wardens about the considerable number of 'no shows', I believe they should keep a 'black book' of regular offenders, and assuming the technology is available, consider blocking them from booking on-line, or by telephone in advance...even if only for a season, as a penalty for abusing the privelege of being members but more importanly for very often preventing other members from using some sites.

Keith T - 2006-12-22 5:46 PM

secondly, you cannot now book on more than one site at a time, even on the internet, as they have changed the booking programme from that used when it first came on-line

Hello Keith,

The CC system only stops someone booking on more than one site at the same time therebye stopping members booking several sites and choosing which at the time they wish to visit. Unfortunately those members going with friends can get round this by one person booking site A for two pitches and the other site B for two pitches.

The system still allows the booking of site reservations as long as not more than one site is booked for the same time period hence members booking multiple weekends "just in case".

I totally agree with you that a deposit system or as Omar suggests paying in full in-advance (with some obvious rules) would reduce the incidence of no-shows. A penalty system for misusing the booking system should be introduced.

Frank,

Not a myth. Several site wardens have made comment about this and it causes them no end of trouble dealing with members being refused access when pitches are unoccupied but cannot be released because the pitches are pre-booked by what turn out to be no-shows.

Regards,

Mike.

Moderator:

Have just noticed that I can change the contents of someone elses quote. Should this be allowed?

Archived