Which Club?

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I occasionally cut down a quote to just the paragraph I'm referring to but never actually alter any of the wording.

You can amend the 'quote' you're using but that wouldn't be very honest or nice would it .... if you treat the postings of others with respect, and don't tamper with them, there's no problem is there, besides which you'd be a bit daft to alter it as the original could easily be viewed earlier in the thread and I'm sure others would spot the change.

*-)

Mike Chapman - 2006-12-23 11:56 AM
Brian Kirby - 2006-12-22 7:05 PM
Mike Chapman - 2006-12-22 6:21 PM Moderator: Have just noticed that I can change the contents of someone elses quote. Should this be allowed?

Slow, Slow, Quick, quick, slow. Mike, how!!??

Hello Brian, Just like that!! Using editting. Regards, Mike

Mike, I see you were referring to changing the text once it is in the quote box, rather than changing the actual post.  I'm afraid I misunderstood you.  Must read more carefully!

I think this is just to allow you to quote selectively so as to keep your own post, plus the quote, shorter.  After all, the content of the original remains visible for all to see somewhere above, so if it has been misrepresented it becomes quite clear what is going on.  But in any case, would we????  What a naughty thought!

Grey Funnel - 2006-12-24 10:49 AM

See in the January CC mag that the club is aware of this "No show" problem. Their MUC sites require payment and will not return the money unless a valid reason (doctor's note) *-)

This is what the club need to do they are running multi million pound business under the banner of so called club.

Surely that's abit harsh...it is after after all supposed to be a 'recreational' activity.....and we don't want to be forced to book in advance, which is what happesn with so many CC sites, then have to have a doctors note to telephone and say we have changed our plans. Flexibility is essential in motorcaravvaning at least, and i guess far more than tugggers.

As long as there is some way of preventing those who simply abuse the system, then surely that should be enough. Rgetrettably it seems we can no longer rely on old fashioned good manners and coimmon sense. Personally, I would never dream of not turning up - but several times we have 'changed ' our plans and destinations and telephoned to cancel.

Brian Kirby - 2006-12-22 4:33 PM

Neither of the clubs seems keen to deal with the weekending "pitch blockers", who I suspect cost both clubs dear in lost weekday revenue.  After all, if one is touring for more that 5 days at a stretch, where is one supposed to stay at weekends?  Surely one is not expected wild camp??  Oooh, naughty me, how could I?  Mouth duly washed!!

Is it just me who has to work during the week and therefore can only use my van at weekends then!

I use both club sites, wild camp, park overnight in the street, on friends' driveways, stay in service stations, etc, but I have to use the van at weekends only most of the time as, I am sure, many other people do! My van is not restricted to use during my holidays from work - in fact, these are often not even taken in the motorhome, but rather onboard a ship somewhere, thanks to my wife being a cruise ship lecturer and author.

How I wish I was retired, so that I too could enjoy the advantages of weekday holidaying for more than four weeks per annum!

Back to topic - I am a member of both clubs and find that I use both clubs' sites, expecially in winter, when some are closed and the choice is much lower. Frankly, I use club sites about ten nights per year only!

However, I do find that the £27-30 is worth it just to get the advantages of a regular magazine, and benefits such as cheaper (or useable) breakdown cover for my behometh.

What we must all remember is that neither club is really a club anymore - it is big business, out to protect its interest. Consider how much land each club owns, how much revenue it generates and where its interests really lie.

Campbell

messerschmitt owner - 2006-12-26 7:38 AM
Brian Kirby - 2006-12-22 4:33 PM Neither of the clubs seems keen to deal with the weekending "pitch blockers", who I suspect cost both clubs dear in lost weekday revenue.  After all, if one is touring for more that 5 days at a stretch, where is one supposed to stay at weekends?  Surely one is not expected wild camp??  Oooh, naughty me, how could I?  Mouth duly washed!!

Is it just me who has to work during the week and therefore can only use my van at weekends then! I use both club sites, wild camp, park overnight in the street, on friends' driveways, stay in service stations, etc, but I have to use the van at weekends only most of the time as, I am sure, many other people do! My van is not restricted to use during my holidays from work - in fact, these are often not even taken in the motorhome, but rather onboard a ship somewhere, thanks to my wife being a cruise ship lecturer and author. How I wish I was retired, so that I too could enjoy the advantages of weekday holidaying for more than four weeks per annum!  Campbell

Steady on, Campbell!

One day you, too, may be retired, you never know!  Without wishing to offend, can the clubs really be run to satisfy mainly those who only want them for weekends, and have complicated holiday arrangements at other times?

Also, what about all those working folk who take (or would like to take) a couple of weeks summer holiday, maybe starting on a Friday evening after work and ending on a Sunday two weeks (and three weekends) later? 

As you've read the letters in the club's mags, you must have seen the ones complaining that they can't get onto club sites over weekends because they are always fully booked.  Sunday evening to Thursday evening yes, but not Friday/Saturday.  This becomes quite a common complaint around the school holiday periods. 

It is quite common to find that sites are free weekdays but booked at weekends.  This is a simple price rationing matter, that would be better solved by increasing the rate for weekend only bookings, rather than by reducing the price for weekdays.  I think the clubs have their telescopes reversed, that's all.

Brian - surely that's exaclty what the CLub?s do, every year......but site fees are increased for everyday, although some days are 'cheaper' than others. I guess the CC at least (not sure about the other one) has tried most options, and of course they really want to 'fill' the vacant pitches through the week.

Iwas quite surprised recently though to go to Abbey Wood (London) CC for I think 8 or 9 nights, and find that I got a 'midweek' discount.....although the site seemd pretty much full thoughtout the whole period we were there.

Still, anything to keep the costs down, I say.....and I personally still find the CC sites well ahead of most Commercial UK sites in price and standard of facilities. Just wish there were a few more open in the winter season.

Brian Kirby - 2006-12-26 1:38 PMSteady on, Campbell!

One day you, too, may be retired, you never know!  Without wishing to offend, can the clubs really be run to satisfy mainly those who only want them for weekends, and have complicated holiday arrangements at other times?

Also, what about all those working folk who take (or would like to take) a couple of weeks summer holiday, maybe starting on a Friday evening after work and ending on a Sunday two weeks (and three weekends) later? 

As you've read the letters in the club's mags, you must have seen the ones complaining that they can't get onto club sites over weekends because they are always fully booked.  Sunday evening to Thursday evening yes, but not Friday/Saturday.  This becomes quite a common complaint around the school holiday periods. 

It is quite common to find that sites are free weekdays but booked at weekends.  This is a simple price rationing matter, that would be better solved by increasing the rate for weekend only bookings, rather than by reducing the price for weekdays.  I think the clubs have their telescopes reversed, that's all.

BrianI agree wholeheartedly with you about the lack of weekend space but it is when most people take short breaks - including those who are retired. Personally, I'd say, jack the price up for weekends and make more money from the captive market of weekend holidaymakers.Unfortunately, I have at least thirty years to go to retirement, so it will be a long time before I can take advantage of those cheap weekday rates on a regular basis.I like to think of myself as opinionated but able to see other people's viewpoints but some of the letters from mr X orf mrs y (aged 73) in the magazines a bit patronising. I do find that many old people have forgotten what it is like to be young (and working, or with children) and are less tolerant of us youngsters. :-D These are normally the same people who spend their times on sites complaining about all the children making a noise, their neighbours cooking barbecues, etc and then sending letters to magazines about it. Normally, when I'm on site I'm quieter than many of these whinging old gits, leave less mess behind and am more considerate than them to the needs of others. :-> We've also left sites where they have been too noisy (old and young alike creating the noise) or kids have been running about (and that's from someone with a four year old speaking)There have been many times when I have been unable to use a club site because it has been full and I have gone elsewhere - the advantages of the magazine and other club services outweight the inconvenience of not being able to use the sites all of the time.Please don't anyone take offence at what was said above - some of it is intended to be tongue firmly in cheek!Campbell

Keith T - 2006-12-26 3:09 PM Brian - surely that's exaclty what the CLub?s do, every year......but site fees are increased for everyday, although some days are 'cheaper' than others. I guess the CC at least (not sure about the other one) has tried most options, and of course they really want to 'fill' the vacant pitches through the week. Iwas quite surprised recently though to go to Abbey Wood (London) CC for I think 8 or 9 nights, and find that I got a 'midweek' discount.....although the site seemd pretty much full thoughtout the whole period we were there. Still, anything to keep the costs down, I say.....and I personally still find the CC sites well ahead of most Commercial UK sites in price and standard of facilities. Just wish there were a few more open in the winter season.

Keith

What the clubs do, in my experience, is to offer discounts for midweek stays, whereas what I was wishing to suggest was that they should introduce a surcharge for weekend bookings. 

You may say there is no practical difference, but I think there could be two.  One is purely psychological: once having bought their caravan/motorhome, people don't really need discounts to encourage their use, but might need a bit of discouraging from weekend only use, if they thereby prevent others using a site during the week.  It is really just a case of trying to make the weekends less attractive (but selectively, since not all sites suffer to the same degree) rather than trying to make the weekdays more so. 

The other is perhaps more practical, in that the surcharge seems capable of more flexible application than the discount, so allowing a bit more in the way of fine tuning site by site and period by period.  Whether this has been discounted by the clubs I do not know and have not asked.  However, many ideas are considered over time and, whereas a particular idea may have been dropped in the past, times change, so it may come into favour in future.  Trying to get the balance right must be a major headache for the clubs but at the moment, from my fairly limited experience, I think the policy needs some adjustment in favour of non "weekend only" users, if possible without great disadvantage to the weekending group.

Brian,

I think we're coming form the same angle, whether you look at a 'discount' or 'surcharge'......perhpas they should give a 'discount' for those of us who would like to stay for a longer period of time. (I think I did come across this one year, actually, on a very 'countryfied low-faclity CC site).

What we do find interesting though is that weekdays tend to be mainly Motorhomers, and this completely changes Fridays to tuggers!

Keith T - 2006-12-28 2:28 PM Brian, I think we're coming form the same angle, whether you look at a 'discount' or 'surcharge'......perhpas they should give a 'discount' for those of us who would like to stay for a longer period of time. (I think I did come across this one year, actually, on a very 'countryfied low-faclity CC site). What we do find interesting though is that weekdays tend to be mainly Motorhomers, and this completely changes Fridays to tuggers!

Agreed!  The comment re weekend tuggers is very true, but I think more so off season.

As a new motor caravan owner (April 07 when I take delivery of a Hobby Van) I am considering which club (or both) to join. I am concerned to learn from this discussion that it is necessary to book in advance for CC sites. It rather goes against my idea of a spontanious lifestyle that I hope will accompany my new acquistion.

In general terms, is it always necessary to book CC sites in advance, or is it mainly during school holidays?

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Peter Pan - 2007-01-03 11:21 AM As a new motor caravan owner (April 07 when I take delivery of a Hobby Van) I am considering which club (or both) to join. I am concerned to learn from this discussion that it is necessary to book in advance for CC sites. It rather goes against my idea of a spontanious lifestyle that I hope will accompany my new acquistion. In general terms, is it always necessary to book CC sites in advance, or is it mainly during school holidays?

I know that this is going to wind up a few people but I just have to say it. What is it about motorhoming that makes people think that they have a right to have a pitch reserved for them on every site in the U.K. just in case they think that they may drop in?

Would you roll up at an hotel without first phoning to make a reservation or check availibility? Of course you wouldn't, so what's special about camp sites that makes people think that they should have this privilege?

We live in a small and overcrowded island. Caravanning in all its forms has increased massively in the last few years and it is very difficult and very expensive to source land and build more sites. It isn't necessary to book a CC site, or any other for that matter. You can roll up at many sites in the quiet periods and find a spot but anyone wishing to travel like this must take the inevitable risk that, even off-season, the site may be full.

Every year I go to France and never book but I go in June. But try doing it in August in the hotspots! I hired a motorhome for three weeks twenty years ago and couldn't find a site anywhere in the Dordogne area.

Motorhoming is no different than any other form of holidays. We should look on the bright side and be grateful that, if we haven't booked and there's no room at the inn, we are mainly fairly self-contained and we can at least tuck in on a car park or in a layby.

Peter Pan - 2007-01-03 11:21 AM

In general terms, is it always necessary to book CC sites in advance, or is it mainly during school holidays?

Hi PeterPan

No , far from it, and many sites it is easy enough in most seasons to find a space, perhaps by telephoning when in the area. A lot depends when and where, and by and large those sites in easy reach of large sities can get very full ( like York and Bristol).

Why not take the precaution of checking in advance on the CC website - then booking if you feel you want a 'guaranteed' pitch.

To some extent I can agree with Frank's comment, but of course we've got used to the relative 'freedom' over the years, especially with motorhomes, where we like to simply go...not plan meticuloulsy in advance.

Enjoy your new acqusition.

Ultimately it's up to you, if you want to be free and easy then don't book but you run the risk of ending up with no where to stay for the night. If you want to leave it as late as possible why not just ring the site first thing in the morning on the day you want to stay there, at least that way you can plan whether to head there or to another site if thats one hasn't got a pitch available, nowt worse than going to a campsite and then finding you can't stay, especially after a long day's touring around.

Frank, Keith & Mel,

Thanks for your replies. You have reassurred me. Of course it is necessary to phone a site beforehand to check availability, but I was getting the impression you had to book CC sites 2/3 weeks in advance.

Frank, I take your point about France in August. We intend to spend 3 weeks on the continent each summer but it will be in June or September.

Peter Pan - 2007-01-03 9:35 PM

Frank, Keith & Mel,

Thanks for your replies. You have reassurred me. Of course it is necessary to phone a site beforehand to check availability, but I was getting the impression you had to book CC sites 2/3 weeks in advance.

Frank, I take your point about France in August. We intend to spend 3 weeks on the continent each summer but it will be in June or September.

Some sites are actuaully booked months in advance, which is part of the problem I think. THE annual holiday is generally booked well in advance - but you also need to book short breaks well in advance, which does remove the spontaneity of camping. The clubs also prefer the longer stay associated with 'tuggers' it's less paper work for them.

Go East - then go South - [or further east or North] much more fun, just don't do it in July / August peak.

B-)

Peter Pan - ah, what a wonderful name......!

From experience, I would also suggest you check out any 'Bank Holidays' in France, as they can be very busy, both from the travel point of view, and also sites. We have aslo found if the Bank Hol falls on a Thursday, Friday is often a 'non-working day, whcih can even affect some of the Supermarkets.....! The following is a useful link, but make sure you use the correct year!.... http://www.qppstudio.net/bankholidays2005/france.htm

Bank hols in France tend to be religious holidays, so check your calendar and avoid the main ones - BUT - Whit Monday here is unlikely to coincide with their Pentecost!! also avoid Ascencion Day and Corpus Christ [both thursdays and so become long weekends as mentioned above] Mothers day [also diferent day to ours] can be a bit of a killer as well.

B-)

Archived