Christmas use of van

spospe

I intend to use our Warwick Duo as overspill accommodation during the Christmas season and do not wish to fill the tanks with water (and have to drain them down again). The van is fitted with a Truma 6E heater and I would like to know if this will be OK to use without the tank being filled?

Any tips / suggestions from those of you who have done this will be most welcome.

Will86 - 2016-12-13 4:17 PM

We had a different make and could do just that.

Assuming the van is parked on your premises you could use a standard domestic heater.

I'm with you on this. I've no idea whether the OP can do that, I would just use an electric convector heater or oil filled rad.....on a thermostat. Simples.......if hooked up!

You can use the Truma Combi without water in the system but surely your visitors might need the loo in the night - it doesn't take much time to fill up the fresh water tank (no need to fill it right up) and drain the system down afterwards does it.

Alan

AlanS - 2016-12-13 9:18 PM

You can use the Truma Combi without water in the system but surely your visitors might need the loo in the night - it doesn't take much time to fill up the fresh water tank (no need to fill it right up) and drain the system down afterwards does it.

Alan

I'm with you on this. But maybe the occupants of the van will be youngsters, who can wait until they back in the house !1 I assume the van is parked at the house, that is.

PJay

spospe

If your Combi 6(E) is the earlier type with grey casing, you should find that Truma’s Operating Instructions for it clearly state that it can be operated (on gas, 230V or both) empty of water.

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/2%20gb/combi_gb/combi_gas_gb.html

(All Trumatic C-Series and “Combi” heaters are designed to be operable empty of water, but some of the operating istructions are clearer about this than others.)

Mike88 - 2016-12-14 9:52 AM

I would sleep in the van myself rather than let visitors use the toilet. The thought of emptying other people's toilet waste would spoil my Xmas.

We had some friends sleepover in a previous van for a night (after a BBQ gathering..)

...I went to pull out the cassette to empty the loo.. and SPLOSH!...pish and tissue everywhere! (luckily, no "solids")..

..they'd used to the loo but hadn't thought to empty the bowl!.... 8o| 8o|

After having a brief "discussion" with them, we haven't heard from 'em since...

Indeed the van functions well without water - Our heating has a selection - Heating only, - then Heating with Water heating, we use the setting - "heat van without water heat" to heat the van up enough to reset the boiler dump valve, and then to fill the thing with water.

I think I would probably put 20 ltrs in the fresh tank though to get the toilet and water for hand wash working, doesn't take long to drain everything again.

Thanks to you all. I have now found the (missing) instructions and as Derek says, the Truma 6E heater can be used without water.

The people using the van for overspill accommodation will be my wife and myself, so no problems with toilets and people pressing odd switches to see what happens.

All the best to you all for Christmas and the New Year

Michael

A postscript which may be of help to other Truma owners.

There is an App for the iPhone and iPad (and probably Android devices as well), which gives the same information as the paper copy of the user manual for Truma products. Install the App and choose which device(s) you want to read about at leisure. The iPad is the preferred way to go, as the screen is so much bigger and this makes the detail of the cutaway diagrams much easier to see.

edit to add iPad

Archived