Safefill gas cylinder remote filler

Guest machra

Has anyone managed to fix a remote filler kit to a safefill refillable gas bottle? As yet I have never been refused a fill at petrol stations both here and abroad. However I am aware that people are experiencing issues filling gas bottles that do not have a remote external filler.

are you saying that you have a std safefill bottle and have had no problems....

wont a 'safefill with an external filler' be a gaslow (or similar) system...?

if ypu have a MH i dont really see the advantage of a safefill as i would have my MH with me when using my gas.....to go and fill seperately in a car is not something i would be doing....can see it for tuggers or thise that tow a car....

machra

As has been said above, a Safefill bottle has a combined inlet/outlet designed to accept a LH-threaded male POL connector of the type used with traditional UK-standard propane bottles. Remote filling kits for ‘genuine’ user-refillable bottles have 3/4" UNF hose connections, so will not attach to a Safefill bottle.

If you wanted to fit a remote filling kit, you’d need an adapter with a LH-threaded male POL connector on one side and a male 3/4” UNF connector on the other - something similar in shape to this

http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/calor-propane-cylinder-pol-adapter-to-jic-hose/

However (and it’s stating the obvious) even if one produced a ‘one hose’ arrangement that would connect a remote filling point to a Safefill bottle, before refilling could be carried out it would still be necessary to disconnect the bottle from the motorhome’s gas system and connect the refilling hose to the bottle and, when refilling had been completed, reverse the procedure.

Like the MTH bottles (photo attached) that preceded them, Safefill bottles are essentially modified ‘exchange-only’ containers and, because their outlet and inlet are not separate, their ‘logic’ is that the bottle is disconnected before refilling is performed.

In principle, it should be possible to cobble together a ‘multi hose’ system that allowed the refilling hose and the hose feeding gas to a motorhome’s regulator to both remain attached to a Safefill bottle, with a changeover valve being used to switch between gas going into the bottle and gas coming out of it. But, if I’d reached that point, I’d be swapping the Safefill bottle for one designed to be remotely refillable.

(When a remote filling-point is fitted to a motorhome that has, say, a Gaslow bottle, doesn’t the hose between the filling-point and the bottle remain full of gas after refilling has been completed?)

mth.jpg.8e0d78b0dfca1a7334569e1054566206.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2016-12-15 9:00 AM

machra

As has been said above, a Safefill bottle has a combined inlet/outlet designed to accept a LH-threaded male POL connector of the type used with traditional UK-standard propane bottles. Remote filling kits for ‘genuine’ user-refillable bottles have 3/4" UNF hose connections, so will not attach to a Safefill bottle.

If you wanted to fit a remote filling kit, you’d need an adapter with a LH-threaded male POL connector on one side and a male 3/4” UNF connector on the other - something similar in shape to this

http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/calor-propane-cylinder-pol-adapter-to-jic-hose/

However (and it’s stating the obvious) even if one produced a ‘one hose’ arrangement that would connect a remote filling point to a Safefill bottle, before refilling could be carried out it would still be necessary to disconnect the bottle from the motorhome’s gas system and connect the refilling hose to the bottle and, when refilling had been completed, reverse the procedure.

Like the MTH bottles (photo attached) that preceded them, Safefill bottles are essentially modified ‘exchange-only’ containers and, because their outlet and inlet are not separate, their ‘logic’ is that the bottle is disconnected before refilling is performed.

In principle, it should be possible to cobble together a ‘multi hose’ system that allowed the refilling hose and the hose feeding gas to a motorhome’s regulator to both remain attached to a Safefill bottle, with a changeover valve being used to switch between gas going into the bottle and gas coming out of it. But, if I’d reached that point, I’d be swapping the Safefill bottle for one designed to be remotely refillable.

(When a remote filling-point is fitted to a motorhome that has, say, a Gaslow bottle, doesn’t the hose between the filling-point and the bottle remain full of gas after refilling has been completed?)

Yes

machra - 2016-12-14 11:41 PM

Has anyone managed to fix a remote filler kit to a safefill refillable gas bottle? As yet I have never been refused a fill at petrol stations both here and abroad. However I am aware that people are experiencing issues filling gas bottles that do not have a remote external filler.

I use Gaslow and now have a remote filler, however for several years l had to open the gas locker to access the filler point. Like you I had no problems, in fact I used to get interest from staff at filling stations and a kind of acknowledgment that what I was doing was ok.

In a rush of blood, I decided that when I changed vans I might as well get an external filler fitted. It is easier.

Thanks to you all, especially Derek that is just what I am looking for, and certainly gives me enough info to 'cobble together' a remote filler.

Steve - while Safefill say it cant be done as it would mean the filler tube would remain full of gas after the Safefill bottle cut off at 80% it could be done and I have two thoughts on the matter:

Do as Derek says and put in a changeover valve so like a gaslow system there will be no need to remove the filler hose at all. Just make sure that the changeover is set to bottle fill so the regulator isn't damaged with the pressure of gas while being filled. Having said that gaslow bottles should be turned off when filling for the same reason so not much difference there, or (and more contentious)

I wonder how much gas we are talking left in the hose (obviously it will depend on the length of hose) and whether it would actually matter whether that escaped post filling. I say this bearing in mind that when you fill refillable cylinders normally (either gaslow type or Safefill) when you disconnect the gas filler nozzle from the bottle there is always a great rushing sound and certainly some gas ejected. It is just how much gas this actually is and whether adding a bit more from the hose would actually matter.

Hi..

I can understand you looking to "pre-empt" any possible problems over being allowed to fill up..

BUT at the moment, you have a factory made, refillable bottle, with which you have had no problems anyway?.....

But if determined to add a remote fill point,rather than shelling out on hoses, fittings, a change-over valve and fill-point etc, in order to "cobble together" some DIYd make-do set up, which could easily cause you more issues than it solves (as to date you haven't had any!), just put the money towards a Gaslow/Gasit type refillable kit.

http://www.gasit.co.uk/leisure-gas-refillable-products/-gas-it-refillable-bottles/gas-it-6kg-refillable-gas-bottle-with-level-/-contents-gauge-price-includes-vat-p377-p378.html

(and use your Safefill as a spare and keep it refilled as/when you can?)

The fewer DIY gas "cobble togethers" we have on the roads and filling station forecourts the better...

(See: "Refillable Gas Bottles Warning" thread. :-S )

I have 2 MTH 20 litre bottles which I perchased when they first came on the market at the shows. One I bought at Malvern and the other I was given (at Browhills Swindon) just before they closed. I've never had a problem with filling them as long as you understand how to use them, show them some respect and are not distracted. Last year I perchased a Safefill for my small Autosleeper Montana as it's the only "refillable" bottle that will fit in the gas locker. On both occasions I would have perchased the Gaslow units but they were either unavailable or not on the market at the time or they would not fit in the space available. Each to his own

The “Safefill” containers are manufactured by Hexagon Ragasco that (I’m pretty sure) also made the cylinders sold by MTH.

http://www.hexagonragasco.com/products/composite-lpg-cylinders

For owners of motorhomes that have very limited storage room for gas bottles and (traditionally) would rely on Campingaz canisters, it’s perhaps worth mentioning that Gaslow markets a 2.7kg-capacity R67 cylinder designed to fit in the same space as a Campingaz 907 bottle.

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/Gaslow-R67-3kg-Refillable-Cylinder-No1

This has a height of 310mm and a diameter of 202mm.

The dimensions of current Safefill containers are shown here

http://www.safefill.co.uk/our-cylinders.html

(All three have a diameter of 305mm.)

The MTH composite bottles were significantly lighter than their steel counterparts and, being translucent, it was possible to identify how much gas remained in a bottle and how much could be put in without overfilling it, thus avoiding needing to weigh it. Otherwise refilling carried all the risks inherent in refilling an ordinary steel “Calor”-type bottle.

Thanks for that Derek. Using gas is always involves some risk to some degree and the risk made less by using safer methods, equipment etc but there is always the main risk of human error which no amount of safety devices will over come. The small safefill bottle I have fits the my Autosleeper pretty much perfectly and has the added bonus of being light wieght as well so for now I'll be sticking with it. The older 2 litre units I have I only use one when touring abroad as a stand-by and use a Repsol bottle as my main supply as it is only about 11€ at present in Spain. talking of which I'm presently in Palamos just north of Barcelona and I'm just about to put the heating on :-) ( not in my little Autosleeper but my trusty old Hymer (well "trusty" until it goes wrong)

Archived