21w Flourescent modified to 2w LED @ £1.50 - How to

aandncaravan

747 - 2017-08-08 3:56 PM

I bought the original COB LED lights and had heat related problems. I am now looking for another solution to fit into my Fluorescent fittings. I have sent off for the voltage regulators recommended by Alan and would be interested in the longer COB LED shown in one of Alans photos. Can I have a link to a supplier please...

http://tinyurl.com/go7ss5b

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derek Uzzell - 2017-08-08 6:45 PM

747 - 2017-08-08 3:56 PM

I bought the original COB LED lights and had heat related problems. I am now looking for another solution to fit into my Fluorescent fittings. I have sent off for the voltage regulators recommended by Alan and would be interested in the longer COB LED shown in one of Alans photos. Can I have a link to a supplier please...

http://tinyurl.com/go7ss5b

Thanks Derek. The link works but I was unable to purchase, it must have timed out. I had a browse and found another one that could be suitable so I ordered two of them. It says 12 - 14 volts but I doubt that they are tolerant of 14 volts. They have an aluminium backing which might make a decent heatsink. I will test them first but reckon I will need the voltage regulators that I have ordered.

Link to eBay

There are lots of COB LED strips being marketed on-line at remarkably low prices and with (apparently) similar specifications

http://tinyurl.com/ycew92o2

Many of those strips are advertised at being suitable for vehcle Daytime Running Lights and have pre-connected cabling for a 12V power supply. DRL applications would expose the strips to the vehicle alternator’s over-14V voltage, but there is nothing to suggest that the strips have any voltage regulation. However, as a DRL will be outside the vehicle, even if the LEDS heated up significantly that heat could radiate away.

If used for interior lighting inside a motorhome - particularly if the COB LED strip is to be enclosed in a light fitting - heat build-up will have less opportunity to dissipate and adding a voltage regulator would always be wise.

Aten Lighting’s website includes a caveat about unregulated 12V LED strips (not the COB variety) and offers a 10V-30V voltage regulator

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/inline-regulator.html

• 1 month later...

Just reviving this thread to say I finally got round to fitting one of the longer COB LED lights I linked to a couple of posts earlier. They are a really good light and I am very happy with it. I bought 2 but only fitted one as I added a voltage regulator (as recommended by Alan earlier in this thread) to the 2 original COBs that Alan recommended. The original type are now running cool as is the long one.

My batteries are topped up and I measured the voltage out of the regulator as 11.4 volts. I am not sure that I may have to adjust the voltage higher at some point as I am thinking if my batteries are a little run down, the regulated voltage might drop also, stopping them from working on low voltage.

My original Fluorescent fittings have suffered a bit with heat problems. :D Luckily it is all hidden from view and should not occur again.

The performance of these panels has been brilliant whilst they were working. But without a voltage regulator they have only lasted a week or so, despite being mounted unenclosed for good heat dissipation. So I have gone back to LED strips (cheap off e-bay) - most of which are still going after 8 years without any voltage regulator. :-S

I'm not impressed with cob LEDs. Too much faffing about with regulators and heatsinks. The whole point of LEDs is efficiency not wasting current generating heat. Put the ones I bought to test away.

I've got a cob head torch too the rechargeable batteries only last 2 hours, my other head torch with 5mm LEDs in lasts over 8 hours.

They give a nice spread of light but that's all they've got going for them.

Archived