Prison Disorder

StuartO

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-01-01 5:52 PM

derek pringle - 2017-01-01 9:30 AM

hi all,

I wonder what the actual number of true British prisoners we have against prisoners who are not actually born here. Considering the potential total cost of keeping somebody in jail it must be quite costly to fund the 'non doms'.

Derek

It's less than 10%. http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04334 Download the pdf file for full information linked at page bottom, it's very detailed. It's a House of Commons Briefing so provides factual statistics as opposed to speculative comments based on certain individuals political agendas.

pelmetman - 2017-01-01 11:56 AM

Bulletguy - 2016-12-31 9:10 PM

At the time of his release he left prison with just £46 and nowhere to stay.

http://thejusticegap.com/2014/04/case-victor-nealon-17-wasted-years/

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/16/wrongly-jailed-victor-nealon-free-streets-postman

At least he got out alive, which is more than can be said for bacon butty boy 8-) ..........

I bet our prison bosses are praying to Allah that he died from natural causes :-| ...........

Is that really the best you can come up with? It's obvious you couldn't even bother to read the linked article preferring to shoehorn xenophobic quips in instead where it doesn't even bear any relevance.

You don't do irony then BG ;-) .......Just the X word :D ......

BTW 10% is a lot of prisoners, so call me a xenophobe if you like.....but I reckon with 10% less prisoners we wouldn't be having this discussion......and maybe there would be more dosh left in the pot for payouts to those who were wrongly imprisoned >:-) ..........

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John52 - 2017-01-01 3:14 PM

Well of course there are plenty like that who haven't committed a crime. So if the Government gives all ex cons an alternative to going back to crime they will be accused of treating prisoners better than victims.

John

I understand the point you're making regards treatment etc but people like Nealon are not convicts in my eye. They were innocent people wrongly imprisoned through a gross miscarriage of justice. But lets not lose sight of the fact that whilst Nealon was in prison, he would have come in for the same treatment as any other rightly convicted prisoner.

Some people seem to think thats acceptable! *-)

pelmetman - 2017-01-01 6:04 PM

hi all,

I wonder what the actual number of true British prisoners we have against prisoners who are not actually born here. Considering the potential total cost of keeping somebody in jail it must be quite costly to fund the 'non doms'.

Derek

It's less than 10%. http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04334 Download the pdf file for full information linked at page bottom, it's very detailed. It's a House of Commons Briefing so provides factual statistics as opposed to speculative comments based on certain individuals political agendas.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/16/wrongly-jailed-victor-nealon-free-streets-postman

At least he got out alive, which is more than can be said for bacon butty boy 8-) ..........

I bet our prison bosses are praying to Allah that he died from natural causes :-| ...........

Is that really the best you can come up with? It's obvious you couldn't even bother to read the linked article preferring to shoehorn xenophobic quips in instead where it doesn't even bear any relevance.

Your "irony" has worn thin over Christmas Dave. It's New Year so try a change of record and sing a new song.

BTW 10% is a lot of prisoners,

I'm afraid it really isn't.........IF you can bother to read that pdf file rather than continue with speculation.

The total prison population at March 2016 was 94,800 so as the figure is less than 10%, accounts for around 8-9000.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-01-01 6:16 PM

pelmetman - 2017-01-01 6:04 PM

hi all,

Derek

Your "irony" has worn thin over Christmas Dave. It's New Year so try a change of record and sing a new song.

BTW 10% is a lot of prisoners,

I'm afraid it really isn't.........IF you can bother to read that pdf file rather than continue with speculation.

The total prison population at March 2016 was 94,800 so as the figure is less than 10%, accounts for around 8-9000.

9000 x £40,000 = £360 million a year.......I wonder how many prison officers, or prisons that would pay for? ;-) .........

BTW it appears those folk from Eastern Europe really like our prisons, no doubt they wont be in any rush to leave MUGUK soon *-) .......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4079852/Albanian-inmates-post-photos-enjoying-Christmas-jail.html

pelmetman - 2017-01-01 6:43 PM

9000 x £40,000 = £360 million a year.......I wonder how many prison officers, or prisons that would pay for? ;-)

Sorry Dave but you just weaken your argument further still. That's a mere fraction of the £7 billion total expenditure limit (DEL). Easily found via MoJ links if you want to check.

In your whimsical cloud cuckoo land we'd have no crime, no prisons and no prisoners.

BTW it appears those folk from Eastern Europe really like our prisons, no doubt they wont be in any rush to leave MUGUK soon *-) .......

You really need to drop the race hate you persistently shoehorn in at every opportunity. It's become tiresome and boring. Does this hatred extend to flat refusal to purchase anything manufactured in East European countries? Nope........thought not.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-01-01 8:05 PM

9000 x £40,000 = £360 million a year.......I wonder how many prison officers, or prisons that would pay for? ;-)

Sorry Dave but you just weaken your argument further still. That's a mere fraction of the £7 billion total expenditure limit (DEL). Easily found via MoJ links if you want to check.

In your whimsical cloud cuckoo land we'd have no crime, no prisons and no prisoners.

You really need to drop the race hate you persistently shoehorn in at every opportunity. It's become tiresome and boring. Does this hatred extend to flat refusal to purchase anything manufactured in East European countries? Nope........thought not.

Race hate?.......how does pointing out how our Eastern European cousins are enjoying our hospitality courtesy of HMP equal a hate crime?........maybe you better call the police? ;-) ..........

BTW I reckon the prison service would disagree with your view 360 million being a drop in the ocean :-| ....

Have to say you've got me on buying anything from Eastern Europe :-S .........Do they actually sell us anything? (?) .......

pelmetman - 2017-01-01 9:03 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-01-01 8:05 PM

Race hate?.......how does pointing out how our Eastern European cousins are enjoying our hospitality courtesy of HMP equal a hate crime?........maybe you better call the police? ;-)

If it's not "them mooslims" it's East Europeans you snipe about. You really should stop reading the Daily Wail.

BTW I reckon the prison service would disagree with your view 360 million being a drop in the ocean.

£360 million from £7 billion leaves £6bn 650,000,000.......so indeed £360 million IS a mere fraction. I'm no mathematical genius but even i found that simple enough to work out.

I thought you ran a business?

Have to say you've got me on buying anything from Eastern Europe :-S .........Do they actually sell us anything? (?)

By the truckload on a daily basis around the clock. Mainly clothing, shoes and electrical goods. Bosch, Electrolux, Samsung, LG, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, General Electric, Siemens, Acer, Honeywell......the list is endless.

After Hungary and Czech, Poland is the third largest electronics manufacturing but has the largest GDP of all East European countries at $473.5 billion (2016 figure).

Bulletguy - 2017-01-01 6:06 PM

Well of course there are plenty like that who haven't committed a crime. So if the Government gives all ex cons an alternative to going back to crime they will be accused of treating prisoners better than victims.

John

I understand the point you're making regards treatment etc but people like Nealon are not convicts in my eye. They were innocent people wrongly imprisoned through a gross miscarriage of justice. But lets not lose sight of the fact that whilst Nealon was in prison, he would have come in for the same treatment as any other rightly convicted prisoner.

I should have phrased that diffrently to show I get that he wasn't guilty.

But the ill effects of the housing crisis have spread far and wide.

Where rents are higher than wages, and benefits have to cover rents, those people who can claim them are better off on benefits. Similarly if they provide job opportunities and housing for ex prisoners to stop them going back to crime, they will be treating ex prisoners better than those who have never committed a crime.

We really need to stop counting house price inflation as 'Growth' and 'Recovery', and see it for what it really is.

hi,

On the one hand we have politicians and businessmen telling us we need immigration to give us a workforce for jobs in say the crop picking season for instance and we are still allowing entrants in to this country for such purpose. With the amount of non british in our prisons and the associated costs given in an earlier posting,why do we not use these prisoners as the supply for such work or deport IMMEDIATELY they are convicted of a crime. If they were put to work then it would be cost effective AND reduce the numbers we would have to allow in to GB.

cheers

derek

derek pringle - 2017-01-02 9:12 AM

hi,

On the one hand we have politicians and businessmen telling us we need immigration to give us a workforce for jobs in say the crop picking season for instance and we are still allowing entrants in to this country for such purpose. With the amount of non british in our prisons and the associated costs given in an earlier posting,why do we not use these prisoners as the supply for such work or deport IMMEDIATELY they are convicted of a crime. If they were put to work then it would be cost effective AND reduce the numbers we would have to allow in to GB.

cheers

derek

As I said the biggest cost of Prisons is the high 24/7 level of security to prevent the political embarrasement of a prison escape. Imagine how much that would escalate if the prisoners were dispersed around fields all over the countryside picking crops.

John52 - 2017-01-02 7:01 AM

Bulletguy - 2017-01-01 6:06 PM

John

I should have phrased that diffrently to show I get that he wasn't guilty.

But the ill effects of the housing crisis have spread far and wide.

Where rents are higher than wages, and benefits have to cover rents, those people who can claim them are better off on benefits. Similarly if they provide job opportunities and housing for ex prisoners to stop them going back to crime, they will be treating ex prisoners better than those who have never committed a crime.

We really need to stop counting house price inflation as 'Growth' and 'Recovery', and see it for what it really is.

The "right to buy" Thatcher gave council tenants created the inevitable shortage of affordable rental properties, and those properties were bought at a fraction of their value, ironically some may even now be owned and rented out by private landlords who were previously tenants!

As regards property inflation John, in my case property prices in my locality plummeted post property crash and remained pretty much stagnant now for the past eight years or so....my direct neighbour bought their house six years ago and i know mine wouldn't sell for much more than what they paid.

By comparison, my sons house has soared in value to the point where just the increase alone has outstripped the total value of my property i've lived in for 22 years. They've lived in theirs for just six years.....but that's the madness of London property prices.

Benefits vs wages is a never ending often controversial debate! So many different cases which often don't stack up. The woman who tried to fiddle the Lottery.....she was on a programme about benefits and she was picking up more than i used to earn working three shifts! Obviously she had no intention of working! On the same programme, a young lad who did want to work, but was a single father of one child who he had sole custody of.....yet his benefit payments amounted to less than one third of what Lottery fiddler woman was picking up. I couldn't make sense of that at all.

Rehabilitation of prisoners? Something has to be done. I don't claim to know the magic solution but apart from the most extreme cases i'm not a believer in "lock 'em up and throw the key away". One problem we do have in UK is banging people up on IPP's. Watch the linked video.

https://news.vice.com/video/jailed-for-life-for-minor-crimes-the-uks-forgotten-prisoners

Archived