no working head lights

Martyn22

last night my head lights did not work, as I do not travel at night I don't know when the problem started, my van is based on a Ford transit 2007 Mrk 7 also the heated screen will no turn off, does anyone know how to fix these problems?, I have changed the head light bulb the one I took out looked ok, the bulbs are the 130% brighter type which I have used for some time have also looked at relays but no sigh of burning but do not have spare to swop

the main beam would light on both bulbs but the would not stay on when I let go the control arm, side lights work fog lights work

If your 130% brighter H4 headlamp bulbs are still 60/55W variants (example here)

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-xtreme-vision-130-h4-twin?gclid=CPaegZD_ltECFU-6GwodK3ALvQ

this should have no potential effect on your light-related problem.

I assume that the main-beam comes on when you pull the steering-column lever back into the ‘headlamp flasher’ temporary position (which at least proves that the bulbs should be OK). As all the other lights will come on, I guess the problem might lie with the lighting switch, but it seems more likely that it’s a relay-related fault (similarly for the heated windscreen). I’d start by removing and reinserting all the relevant fuses and relays, but I think you may have already done that.

It would be worth you enquiring on the Ford Transit forum

http://fordtransit.org/forum/

as there might be a simple explanation.

Just a pure guess - but do the brighter headlight bulbs draw more power, expect they do.

In which case, perhaps the existing relay is not man-enough to handle the increased current and the contacts have become partly pitted.

However, my theory is probably flawed because you can still get main beam when manually operating the stork arm.

It might be worth checking the design loading (amps) of the existing relay and upgrading to a higher rating, if necessary. You should be able to bench-test the existing relay (under load) before going down this route.

The other possibility is, the lighting switch on the dashboard has developed a fault - you say you very rarely drive at night. Perhaps the contacts in the switch have corroded over time and just need a bit of a clean.

Edit, must type quicker, I see Derek has already commented.

Might be corrosion in the switch or the multi pin connector where sub loom from steering column joins main loom.

A dose of contact cleaner inside the lighting switch in the first instance. Leave to soak for ten minutes and then work the switch a lot. Next disconnect the multi pin connector and dose with cleaner then replug and unplug several times. before reconnecting.

A cheap test lamp would enable you to check if the current is arriving at the bulbs when a helper operates the switch.

I would normally say check the earthing of the headlamp unit but the fact the lights work when flashed indicates the earth is good.

Robbo, I have checked all wire connections, all OK, have changed headlight bulbs, no change,had a look at light switch, which will light,side frount and rear fog, hazards also work, so will try and get a second hand light switch if possible, do you have any contacts, don't what to get new switch if its not that giving my van grief

• 3 weeks later...

Archived