DFDS slots fast filling up

Bulletguy

I logged into the DFDS ferry site earlier today to take a look at prices and was staggered to see the amount of slots already fully booked. Normally i don't start searching until February and last year at that time there was loads of empty slots available. It seems to be a panic rush before the drawbridges get pulled up and the £ plummets even further. We are not that far off £1 to €1 anyway.

There's something odd about the way the DFDS on line booking system reports availability, so I suggest you take what you see with a pinch of salt.  Not sure why but they sometimes seem to block certain ferry crossings by reporting them fully booked - maybe to persuade you to use the other times?

StuartO - 2017-01-09 8:57 AMThere's something odd about the way the DFDS on line booking system reports availability, so I suggest you take what you see with a pinch of salt.  Not sure why but they sometimes seem to block certain ferry crossings by reporting them fully booked - maybe to persuade you to use the other times?

Not just DFDS. Brittany Ferries , have done the same. Went to book a reserved seat, and was informed on the net, that FULL. When on the ferry, all the front of boat was cordoned off , also most of the side loungesIn fact the boat, was not very busy at all. .

You both may well be right. On crossings i've done in the past which were supposed to be *fully booked* there was plenty of available space. Years ago i always paid the cheapest fare crossing, then turned up "on spec" and got waved on to the next sailing but i think they realised a number of people were doing that and stopped it since.

Not sure where you get your £ € exchange rate info from. The exchange rate at the moment is more or less the same as it was in 2009, 2013 and 2014. A fraction down on 2015. The best we had was in 2007 at 1.47. Of course when Brexit happens the rate will get better for us.

Wills Wagon - 2017-01-09 3:37 PM

Not sure where you get your £ € exchange rate info from. The exchange rate at the moment is more or less the same as it was in 2009, 2013 and 2014. A fraction down on 2015. The best we had was in 2007 at 1.47. Of course when Brexit happens the rate will get better for us.

Just checking - you ARE talking about the Pound Sterling, as used in the UK, and the Euro, as used in many European countries?

Because, having done Continental trips in all those years, the current rate seems nothing like those we used to get back then. I do agree that 2007 has never been improved on though - but there was a bit of a global economic issue after that!

Your last sentence only makes any sense if your "us" refers to someone whose income is in Euros who travels to the UK!

Tony Jones - 2017-01-09 6:04 PM

Just checking - you ARE talking about the Pound Sterling, as used in the UK, and the Euro, as used in many European countries?

Because, having done Continental trips in all those years, the current rate seems nothing like those we used to get back then. I do agree that 2007 has never been improved on though - but there was a bit of a global economic issue after that!

Your last sentence only makes any sense if your "us" refers to someone whose income is in Euros who travels to the UK!

Depending on the comparison dates chosen, you could both be correct. Current rate is similar to previous years except 2015/16 and the fall seems worse because of that. Check thi out:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=10Y

Robert

Agaric - 2017-01-09 6:10 PM

The markets are expecting the Pound to go to 1.30 by December.

If the markets were expecting the pound to rise they would buy and it would have already risen.

If they were expecting it to fall they would sell and it would have already fallen.

So its always where the markets think it should be.

John52 - 2017-01-10 11:29 AM

Agaric - 2017-01-09 6:10 PM

The markets are expecting the Pound to go to 1.30 by December.

If the markets were expecting the pound to rise they would buy and it would have already risen.

If they were expecting it to fall they would sell and it would have already fallen.

So its always where the markets think it should be.

You are missing the point, where it goes between now and December is neither here or there, it's where it will be in December, market forces will dictate it's position between now and then.

The view taken is that the pound is below where is should be by December

Not sure where you get your £ € exchange rate info from. The exchange rate at the moment is more or less the same as it was in 2009, 2013 and 2014. A fraction down on 2015.

Here: http://www.pounds2euro.com/Charts i

it's €1.15 as at 1400hr today. Can't get much more precise than that.

The best we had was in 2007 at 1.47.

€1.74 in May 2000.

Of course when Brexit happens the rate will get better for us.

You got that the wrong way round. £ sterling will be peanut money.

derek pringle - 2017-01-10 8:51 AM

Hi Bulletguy,

I think you can can now use 'tesco' vouchers to pay on some DFDS routes, maybe this is the reason or part that they are filling up earlier.

cheers

derek

Not being a Tesco shopper i didn't know that. In the past DFDS used to go to Motorhome and Caravan shows handing out free voucher codes which gave considerable reductions. One year i got a return crossing for £45.....and that was at 12 noon each way!

Bulletguy - 2017-01-10 2:33 PM

derek pringle - 2017-01-10 8:51 AM

Hi Bulletguy,

I think you can can now use 'tesco' vouchers to pay on some DFDS routes, maybe this is the reason or part that they are filling up earlier.

cheers

derek

Not being a Tesco shopper i didn't know that. In the past DFDS used to go to Motorhome and Caravan shows handing out free voucher codes which gave considerable reductions. One year i got a return crossing for £45.....and that was at 12 noon each way!

Our local supermarket is a Tesco so no brainier for us, but you can also get the vouchers by using a Tesco credit card, you get the points wherever you shop and whatever you buy so we also do this when shopping at Asda or anywhere else. We havused this method for a few years on the tunnel.

Good luck

Derek

We've never used such 'sites for anything (as I don't really understand how they work or what the catch is?) but is there anything of any use on any of these voucher-code type websites?...

eg

https://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/dfdsseaways.co.uk

https://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/dfds-seaways

https://www.vouchercloud.com/dfds-seaways-vouchers

etc......

Archived