Remote gas shutoff anyone?

snowie

Never had the gas checked by the Ferry Operator in the past 30 years.

Returning to the OP's problem:

1) An electrically operated gas shut-off system at the tank outlet would appear to be the neatest solution. However, how do you prove to Eurotunnel staff this is actually working, as inferred by StuartO. This could be proved by demonstrating that no gas was present at the hob but even that may not convince them.

2) A mechanical turning off of the gas isolation valve at the tank is the ONLY guaranteed solution IMO. However, there is no inference in Eurotunnel rules that this cannot be achieved by a mechanical extension attached to the original valve cock. A possible (relatively cheap solution) would be to connect a metal rod (with adaptor) to the gas cock through a hole made in the surrounding cover plate. The rod would then connect to a 90 degree gearbox. A further rod (connected to the gearbox) would exit the side of the van with a handle mounted on the end. Turn the handle clockwise to close the valve and anticlockwise to open the valve. Simples !!!

Patent pending, haha !!! They don't call me Heath Robinson for noffin B-)

I am very impressed that the readers of this site takes this matter seriously. And never forget to close the cooking fire which is difficult to see at low setting. Since we are heading for hydrogen tanks and fuel cells remember the Zeppelin balloon who burnt out in 60 seconds. So many are afraid about this. But that will be the future and green. The zeppelin got fired by the engines but the burning cloud was above them and the drop out in panic. Your propane in your motor home burns out every thing below his weight level. If in confined spaces also natural gas you can have a explosion.

Brian Kirby - 2017-01-15 5:45 PM

Robbo - 2017-01-15 3:17 PM...................Patent pending, haha !!! They don't call me Heath Robinson for noffin B-)

Too late! See my post above of yesterday. Patent lodged. See you in court! :-D

Yes, I'll grant you that, Brian. But my patent incorporates the essential rightangle gearbox so, no contest, don't waste your legal fees :D

This 2016 Auto-Sleepers Owners Forum thread discusses LPG tank gauges, correct orientation of the tank and switching off the gas supply to meet Eurotunnel requirements.

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t16593-gasit-gauge-reading-gas-volume-on-site

The thread won’t be 100% relevant in Alan’s (snowies’s) case, as his motorhome is a Ducato X250-based bespoke conversion and (from his original posting’s description) his LPG tank’s installation differs from that employed by A-S on their PVC’s, but it may be of interest.

Auto-Sleepers will soon be part of the Trigano Group and - with more funds becoming available - an innovative, but previously considered to be far too expensive, special ‘tool’ (photo attached) will be resurrected to facilitate turning off the outlet-valve on their LPG tanks. Motorhome magazines have reported that the tool will be offered as an option on the company’s forthcoming “Terminator” and “Apocalypse” ranges that will be exhibited at next month’s NEC Show.

1035319300_gas-tanktool.jpg.63db8ad8b5586fed617790755962a948.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2017-01-16 8:21 AM

Motorhome magazines have reported that the tool will be offered as an option on the company’s forthcoming “Terminator” and “Apocalypse” ranges that will be exhibited at next month’s NEC Show.

Very amusing Derek - I had to double check my calendar to make sure I hadn't been fast-forwarded to the beginning of April :-D

Archived