Fiat Comfortmatic advice

happy1

Hi,

Just ordered my "auto" motorhome and having second thoughts about a manual instead,

had a test drive in auto which went ok but looking at older threads on this site not so sure now!

Appreciate its a manual with bits added to get auto feel, anyone out there been using one for a fairly long time now and what are your thoughts/experiences/advice?

Thanks!

Hi.

I switched to a comformatic with the lower hp 2.3litre engine in April 2015. Since then I have covered 13000 miles including Iceland (with their unmetaled roads), Ireland, Scotland including Shetland, Orkney, and Skye, plus various trips in U.K. and the local Eu countries.

I am converted and would not return to a manual. Very relaxing to drive, not the fasted away from the lights but, hey, it's a motirhome. Fuel consumption is better than my previous van which was exactly the same but manual.

No problems thus far.

The only issue is starting from stationery on a very steep hill, the box wants to change up too early, the vehicle slows because of the steepness and it has to change back to first. In these conditions I just knock it into manual and change when appropiriare.

So that is my experience. It is still early days in the life of the vehicle so we will see but all the reports I read before purchase did not indicate any common regular problems.

Hope that helps

Peter

I have owned one for just over a year, - some swear about Comfortmatic - we swear (or swore) at ours, - the majority are rock solid and the owners are more than happy. Ours left us without drive in the fast lane of the M6, and in a few other places - We survived, and got in sorted, it turned out it was a fault with the brake light switch, sending spurious signals around the ECU which caused the van to drop into neutral. - Replaced under warranty.

It's OK to drive - but not perfect, there is a massive lag when pulling away, you do get used to it and can manage, (start gently, get the van rolling and then boot it), the other problem, currently being investigated by our dealer is that it doesn't want to stop, when slowing down it "holds" onto the gear and then drops out with a jerk, kind of feels in heavy traffic that you might bump something in front. Seems to be getting smoother as the mileage goes up.

Otherwise it does drive nicely, smooth changes etc. - It does have a clutch so on hills to save wear, it's recommended to stop handbrake on etc, in my auto car I hold it against the box with a tiny amount of accelerator. Loads of bleeps when you do anything - likes to be stopped in 1st etc which can be annoying.

On balance - I don't like it, - it does do the job, it isn't unpleasant, it's smooth, hasn't gone wrong since, I can absolutely live with it, we have had some great nights away, but I have lost confidence, dread if it should wrong out of warranty, hugely expensive, my wife has a restricted licence so we need an auto so she can share the driving, our next van will be manual if I have anything to do with it.

My view isn't the average - fully accept that, but you asked for an honest opinion.

happy1

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

It might be useful if you said which make and model of motorhome you’ve ordered and which motor it will have.

The Comfort-Matic transmission was initially available only on Ducato X250 models with the 3.0litre motor, but availability was extended subsequently to Ducatos with 130bhp and 150bhp 2.3litre powerplants. For current Euro 6 Ducatos, only those with 2.3litre motors (130, 150 or 180 Multijet II) can have Comfort-Matic transmission, the 3.0litre motor having been dropped and the 2.0litre motor only being marketed with a manual gearbox.

I suspect that - at least to some degree - your decision to have a manual or Comfort-Matic transmission will depend on the sort of criteria mentioned here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-2-3-Multijet-JTD-150-BHP-Euro5-6-speed-automatic-gearbox/37826/

Hi Derek,

A rollerteam 746 with upgraded load to 3650kg, being an overcab and wanting to drive over the alps etc. opted for the 180. Presume it may help with the starting on hills and changing up/down on hills issues some have had?

My wife and i both drive proper auto's and do not relish going back to a manual, have had a break of 6 years but had 4 manual vans over a 10 year period covering 10's thousands miles abroad and uk.

Hi Happy 1,

We have had ours for three and a half years, 3 litre 180bhp, 4000kg IH panel van conversion. No reliability issues whatsoever, needs a bit of getting used to and takes the edge off performance but wouldn't change back to manual. Terrific in traffic, something less to think about when navigating through tight French or Spanish villages!

Have ordered the same on our new van.

Bill

happy1 - 2017-01-23 2:51 PM

Hi Mike,

Absolutely just what I wanted to hear!

sounds like if the reliability was not a issue for you it would be ok, different but ok as long as you operate within its constraints?

Yep, - it really frightened me, doing about 10mph trying to coast to the hard shoulder with cars everywhere on the M6 and again on the busy Birdlip hill roundabout near Gloucester put me off somewhat. I know of one other owner from the our same dealership who had a similar issue, they refused to drive the thing and had to have theirs towed half way across the UK, Also fixed. - and accepting this is a rarity.

Given that it has a clutch, it isn't a full auto with a torque converter which can sap power, I think we probably get better MPG out if it than we would with a manual. Bit dodgy on a muddy or slippery site, or driving up our ramps, - drove off the back on one occasion, found that reversing on is much easier than driving on, lower ratio's, no judder like some of the earlier Fiats.

- However it truly isn't that bad and a manual gearbox isn't always trouble free, if it suits your needs, there are not many auto's on M/H's to chose from and these are probably the pick of the bunch.

happy1 - 2017-01-23 12:31 PM

Hi,

Just ordered my "auto" motorhome and having second thoughts about a manual instead,

had a test drive in auto which went ok but looking at older threads on this site not so sure now!

Appreciate its a manual with bits added to get auto feel, anyone out there been using one for a fairly long time now and what are your thoughts/experiences/advice?

Thanks!

Hi happy1

We are currently on our second comfortmatic fitted motorhome. The first, an IH Tio RL panel van, was ordered with it at the time because the first series of X250 Ducatos were prone to 'reverse judder' (with the worst cases eating the innards of the gearbox) as you can read about on this forum. That's long gone now but at the time the Comfortmatic seemed to be the only box not affected and, as has already been said, was only available on the 3.0 litre which bumped up the price quite a bit. I found it so good that, after going back to a manual for a while, I deliberately looked for a motorhome this time around with the comfortmatic box. I also wanted the 2.3 150bhp engine as I thought it would be a better match in terms of power and economy.

Like the IH I have now driven this Chausson coachbuilt through France to Spain twice and it is a pleasure. The comments made above regarding HOW to drive it are valid but once used to it I find it much more relaxing (I'm usually on 'holiday' when in the motorhome) and this trip, for the very first time, used the hill function button (located just above the gearchang) whilst driving across the mountain roads around Ronda and can say it made a big difference to how the box reacted to the changing inclines, lots more changes than without it.

My verdict. It is money well spent - unless you really do like all the gearchanging when touring around.

Good luck and enjoy the motorhome.

David

I was more than happy with mine covering over 20000 miles with absolutely no problems. I drove over the Pyrenees several times with ease and drove along many unmetalled roads abroad without difficulty. I also drive an automatic car and, while the gearbox might not be as refined, it is perfectly adequate and in my opinion far better than a manual as it gives you a more relaxing drive.

Euroserve on this forum who is an expert in Fiat vans as he runs a fleet of them is a fan of the Comfortmatic gearbox. And when you come to sell the vehicle you will get a good price as there is high demand for such vehicles on the used market.

The link from Derek contains comments from me on the Comfort-matic. I'm now at 24,000 miles after three and a half years motorhoming in the UK - mostly cross country running. Nothing much has changed although I am impressed with the majority of its downshifts to first gear on very steep hills [sometimes necessary because of oncoming traffic, very sharp bends] which are as good if not better than I could manage with a manual. The 'Up button' works, especially if switched on before the hill. The Comfort-matic also works well with 'Hill start' and makes for safe and smooth, if unspectacular, getaways on hills from a standing start.

The Comfort-matic has proved reliable to date. It does what it is designed to do but I'm still not convinced it is money well spent unless, like the OP, you need it.

It does of course, fall well short of the Iveco autobox and autos that read the terrain ahead such as in top spec trucks and Rolls Royces.

Like you, I've just collected my Fiat Ducato Autotrail automatic. This was a brand new motorhome but considered 'old stock' so it is registered as 2017 but has the Euro 5 130bhp engine in it. We are getting to grips with the auto box, not tried the manual change or using the box as an engine brake for long descents. I've found that it you lift off the throttle momentarily and then re-accelerate you will encourage the box to change without that characteristic drag.

It could well be me but I've never met a gearbox that has three stable settings and three unstable settings according to the handbook. I think that what that refers to is that you can put in Auto 1 but the box will then change to either manual 1 or worse, N, (it's a bit like Harry Potters staircases, never the same twice)

It's early days yet but for straight forward driving it seems fine, very smooth when reversing uphill. ;-)

I believe you are misinterpreting Fiat’s special brand of English...

As I understand it, the ‘stable’ and ‘unstable’ references do not refer to the transmission as such, but to the gear lever. A ’stable’ position just means that when the gear lever is moved to that position it stays there until it is moved to another position. Conversely, an ‘unstable’ position is where the gear lever is moved to a certain position then, when released, immediately returns to its original position.

So the N, R and central positions of the gear lever are ’stable, whereas the A/M and manual upshift/downshift positions of the gear lever are ‘unstable’.

The ‘unstable’/‘stable’ terminology is used throughout the Ducato Owner Handbook.

In my 04/2014 Handbook there are 6 ‘unstable position' references with the first relating to the ignition-key’s engine-starting position, plus one ’stable position' reference in the Direction Indicators section.

It’s a straight translation of the "posizione instabile” and "posizione stabile” terms used in the Handbook’s Italian version and I guess that (if it’s felt necessary to tell an owner at all) it’s as good a use of words as any.

Somewhere I downloaded the Fiat Comfortmatic Manual fully translated into English from the Fiat Web site onto my laptop, I logged in using Fiat Assist to get it, one issue was the van came with only a single page on the use of the Comfortmatic extolling how wonderful it is and with a few warnings, really should have had the comprehensive detail worth reading the full document over a coffee or 2 in my opinion.

I think if you think of the gear lever as a switch, rather an a traditional lever it becomes easier, takes a little getting used to, you have either "auto" mode which I guess is "unstable" or it's possible to drop out to "manual" and control gear changes yourself which would be "stable", - have used this occasionally for a little extra shove, - the auto gear changes are focused on economy I think and quite lazy although we have the 130 model which is marginally underpowered.

In "manual" there are various protections so you cannot do anything daft, like dropping into low gear at high speed or over rev, it tells you when you should change.

There are a few "tricks," opening the drivers door will drop it into neutral, the box "remembers" your last action, so will either go from neutral into auto or fixed depending upon what you did last, it requires a foot on the brake and occasionally we get an error "brake pedal isn't depressed" when manoeuvring wanting to go from R to 1 or visa versa especially if you do this too fast - perhaps in a car park situation backing and filling. Foot is firmly on the brake. - The resolution is simply "take more time".

There is a massive lag between first and second, problem on busy junctions or roundabouts when you want to nip into a gap, - the secret is to get the van rolling gently and then boot it, - simply booting it doesn't do any good, - think the ratio between 1st and 2nd is badly wrong.

When experienced it's possible to "play" the gearbox, making it change gear by getting the speed and rev,s aligned along with pressure on the gas peddle, for example I can make it drop into 5th on the motorway when passing traffic. It is quirky, it is smooth, it does have it's moments, there are bleeps for everything from it which can drive you to distraction - although most have good reason, - in a Motorhome I guess you do want to park in gear, there is no "P" - rather than risk rolling down a hill in the middle of the night. http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

The main thing is that this is a manual box with a bunch of electronic packs controlling the clutch, it isn't a "proper" auto, the clutch could be damaged, particularly at junctions on hills, stop, handbrake on, foot off gas - and go, otherwise you are slipping the clutch.

Does take the strain in heavy traffic for sure - but I have the issue that it "hangs on" - feels like it's going forwards when I don't want to at very slow speed and there is a jerk when it drops out of gear on stopping, not horrendous but unpleasant and concerning in that you could bump the car in front if you don't take aggressive action like braking harder than you might otherwise, - not smooth.

Very interesting to read. That hang on i remember from years back.However taxi drivers liked it the city. They are still a compromise. The mercedes 7G in the sprinter is the best in motorhomes 3.5 T. The ducato clutch plate starts to stink very rapidly in reverse when slipping in wet terrain.Stop the exercise when you smell the odour of the lime. In My 2017 they say good by to the GP20 box. Not a clue what they use now.

We have the 150hp with Comformatic 2½ years old done 20,000 miles absolutely love it. The hill holder makes it a doddle on steep hill starts as there is no creeping with this type of box.

The sluggish change you sometimes get at low speeds, gets better when the engine is run in. The software is set up for a fully run in engine which Fiat consider to be 15,000 miles. I found mine improved after 12-14,000 miles.

Would I have another one, yes already on order new Hymer due early March.

We have the basic model of the base model van, - but with Comfortmatic - We have no hill start assist, or cruise control, - the van didn't come with a radio and we have no air-con, but it was budget model though, so no surprises.

We do have one button which is meant to make the auto hold on longer in gear on a hill - so far I haven't noticed it doing anything significant but there are not many notable hills in the Thames Valley.

Until we had the brake light switch replaced the van didn't exhibit this "hang on" and I am wondering if just possibly the guys fitted an incorrect unit, the parts are different depending upon what features you have on your van.

It's going in soon for an oil change etc and I will be discussing this "feature" while it's still under warranty, I notice it, a friend who drives trucks and vans regularly notices it - but last time I mentioned it, the dealer didn't see anything, I can imagine that the thought of a complex issue with big $$$ at their expense came to the fore.

Archived