Political Box

PJay

It appears that most postings are now about politics , both UK and USA

I don't think we here in Uk have any right to criticise the Yanks for what they voted, any more than they should comment on ours

Maybe we should have a new heading for Politics ?? and get back to some more interesting topics.

I miss the old regime of more females comments, even recipes , (not that I am much of a cook now)

Why have so many women posters disappeared ?

Come on girls, get your fingers typing!!

PJay

PJay - 2017-01-24 5:01 PM

It appears that most postings are now about politics , both UK and USA

I don't think we here in Uk have any right to criticise the Yanks for what they voted, any more than they should comment on ours

Maybe we should have a new heading for Politics ?? and get back to some more interesting topics.

I miss the old regime of more females comments, even recipes , (not that I am much of a cook now)

Why have so many women posters disappeared ?

Come on girls, get your fingers typing!!

PJay

Hi P Jay. I tend to get dragged into political arguments on here because it does say in the title of the thread that chatterbox is to talk about anything and everything and politics really interests me. I accept it's not everyone's cup of tea mind.

You're right, the fact that there is almost a complete absence of posts from women in chatterbox is a bit disappointing. I wouldn't mind sharing stuff with them if they post something I am interested in. I enjoy reading your posts on the motorhome matters sections and you have been kind enough to offer me advice on there when I've needed it.

All the best

Veronica

At one level, most debate is political (Greek: Politiká: Politika, definition "affairs of the cities"), and I have no problem with that.

At a different level, however, when the issue comes to be argued from the point of view of party politics, given our binary UK party divisions, the debate is spoilt. It becomes it predictable, boring, blinkered, and tribal.

So, I just wish those with their strongly held, "my tribe right, your tribe wrong", attitudes could bring themselves to fully engage their brains, leave their party affiliations aside, and look at issues with the blinkers removed.

It has never been the case that any one party, group, or whatever, has a monopoly on being right, or on having the best ideas.

Those with unthinking, party influenced, mindsets are those with whom I really struggle. Not all issues are a matter of "left", or "right", and it is a great shame when those concepts are introduced.

I suspect, but obviously cannot verify, that these party apparatchiks are at least part of the reason so few now contribute.

So, politics, in the broad sense, is fine by me, but introducing the party political, is just, IMO, boorish and destructive.

Archived