Transferring a vehicle

John52

I am to become the main driver for my mums car (which saves about £600 (more than the car is worth) on the insurance as she is 93)

So I think we need to transfer ownership. Now you can't transfer the tax with the car, anyone know how to transfer a car at midnight on the last day of the month?

The insurance is already in place do that.

DVLC seems more difficult. The V5C only gives one date for the transfer, and the online tax system won't seem to accept a date of transfer. It does it straightaway?

But I think we need to transfer the ownership when her insurance finishes and mine starts

And I am having nightmares having to pay the road tax for the same month twice 8-)

tonyg3nwl - 2017-01-26 10:09 PM

Hi, just wonder if you declare it sorn on the last day of the month , so there would be any leftover tax to be rebated, then retax it from the next day in new owners name.

All can be done on line, and might solve your problem.

tonyg3nwl

Looks like that might be the answer. Just got this from the money advice service website;

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/car-tax-timing-it-right-reminders-and-biscuits-your-reaction-to-the-end-of-the-paper-tax-disc

How to avoid paying two months of car tax when you buy a new car

One of the most controversial changes surrounded “double taxing”.

Sellers and buyers can no longer transfer existing tax when a car is sold. Instead the buyer must tax the car themselves and the old owner can apply for a refund.

However, new tax is now backdated (no space) to the beginning of the month and refunds are from the start of the next. This means if you sell and then buy a car early in the month, you will be paying tax twice in that period.

A few readers suggested waiting until the end of the month and then applying for a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). Any vehicle that has a SORN doesn’t have to pay tax, as long as it meets the requirements and is kept in a garage, drive or private land. The buyer then pays for the car and gets it taxed at the start of the new month.

It worked for George, who shared this story of transferring a car to his son:

“I SORN'd the car last Friday 29th May on-line & received e-mail confirmation of the SORN instantly.

Today 1st June my son re-taxed the car online using new keeper slip reference numbers. No problems at all.

He paid the new tax from today, I get a full refund on my remaining 7 months tax June-Dec. The DVLA did not get that double V.E.D for May. Ha Ha!!”

Useful advice from George, though this could be tricky if you’re selling the car and people want to test drive it.

crocs - 2017-01-26 8:17 PM

How about using the dvla online system on the last day of the month as close as possible to 7pm? Their system is only available until 7pm.

Then tax it again the following day in new name.

Robert

I think I'll try that thanks, and SORN it on the last day of the month just to be sure.

I wonder why the DVLA still have to run road tax from the start of the month now they don't have to print tax discs

• 2 weeks later...
crocs - 2017-01-26 8:17 PM

How about using the dvla online system on the last day of the month as close as possible to 7pm? Their system is only available until 7pm.

Then tax it again the following day in new name.

Robert

Did that, SORNing it on the last day, and it worked, Thanks.

Got the refund cheque which works out at the full monthly rate, and the new V5c, so by careful timing of the changeover it cost nothing B-)

Bit of a problem re taxing it on the first day of the next month because the DVLA system had not been updated to show it was SORNed. I had to phone DVLA and they said I would have to tax it at a Post Office. (Not a problem for me at the time but certainly would be for some if they had to get to a Post Office that was open before they could drive the vehicle!!. Also a problem for some keeping it SORNED overnight if they have to keep it on the public road - some have been towed away) The Post Ofice also took the old V5c to save me posting it. Then when I got back and checked DVLA online it showed as not taxed because, again, their system had not been updated. So I phoned them again and asked what would happen if I got stopped by the police. The operator told me it would be OK because the police use a different system which is updated more often than the public system I was looking at . Looked again a couple of days later and the DVLA system had been updated to show it was taxed again. So I suppose by DVLA standards thats efficient. But if their online system was updated more often it would have saved my 2 phone calls, which only added to the delay getting through for others. And if they run road tax from any day of the month like they do insurance it would be possible for everyone to change a vehicle without paying road tax twice. :-S

Archived