Rapido 999m

davidmac

Don't know what you can hang on the back weight wise. We have a tow bar and tow a Matiz.

As far as I know, all the auto models had to be on the 3850 chassis.

I was warned that it always ran close to the front wheel weight limit but have never ventured near a weighbridge!

No problems with the gearbox - it just works!

Did have an intermittent problem with starting but have solved that one.

Finding the problem was the difficult bit but the solution cost less than a couple of hundred quids.

David

The following links carry a Rapido 999M review and some documentation

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/30225-rapido-999m

http://www.kpcm.co.uk/downloads/rapido/Rapido-Serie9M.pdf

http://www.kpcm.co.uk/downloads/rapido/Rapido-GT.pdf

The technical information on Pages 20 - 23 of the 3rd link (2009 model year) indicate that the 999M was available with a MAM of 3500kg or 3880kg. The weight penalty for specifying the 3.0litre motor and automatic gearbox was given as 72kg, plus a further 10kg for obligatory reinforced rear suspension units.

The 999M model was not too long (7.4m) and built on a Mercedes long-wheelbase (4.325m) chassis. The resultant reasonable-length rear overhang and the fact that reinforced rear suspension units were fitted when the 3.0litre motor was specified, suggest that hanging a Honda Innova on the back ought not to present any problems.

The automatic gearbox will have been the desirable ‘traditional’ torque-converter type, rather than the widely-maligned “Sprintshift" robotised-manual transmission.

The ‘empty’ weight for a basic 999M was quoted as 3245kg and when the 3.0litre motor/gearbox was specified the user-payload would have reduced to around 450kg. Heavy accessories (eg. a large awning) are likely to have been fitted to a 999M and your Honda’s weight needs to be factored in. Realistically, you’d need to be careful about not exceeding the vehicle’s 3880kg overall weight limit, though - as the motorhome is rear-wheel-drive - the rear-axle maximum-load-value will probably be quite high.

We bought a new 2006 987M Rapido and ran it for 6 years until we had had enough of repetitive places and simply 'doing it'. The traffic increase where we live plus Mrs became unwell was the reason for selling.

I spent 6 years researching and hiring and found it to be the best for us. The gearbox was never a problem. It was always an easy, smooth and pleasant to drive. We carried no extras apart from an awning.

I moved the spare wheel to under the bed and made several additional modifications to suit our needs. My role was 100% in all things. I did everything. It was large enough to each have our own space when the other wanted rest. We had a double bed each (with the overhead).

The only nuisance's were draughts from gaps in the bodywork which I soon sorted. I bought at a show from Rapido Wokingham. They were always helpful.

Will

Archived