X290 Citroen Relay radio auto turn-off

brom

Given that the answer seems to be to go for Radio Prep when ordering, how would this affect the factory-fitted rear camera, for which the standard radio screen provides the monitor?

Would one need to fit a different camera, or can the Sevel camera run through a different radio screen?

No use to me, of course, as we have the factory radio, but might be of assistance to others.

..the factory-fit rear view camera has a pre-requisite of an appropriate factory-fit radio.

With radio prep, you would thus have to fit your own camera (the Fiat camera can be bundled with an options package in other markets, not sure about the UK, but a stand-alone selection of the Fiat camera, still dependent on the correct radio, would be considerably more expensive than an aftermarket one, especially if you were to do your own fitting).

I fitted my own, which was time-consuming in routing the cables, but less difficult than I feared. I understand some owners (not me) have discovered that the factory wiring is in place, and have managed to bodge connections at both ends.

CORRECTION

Alanb - 2017-04-02 9:59 AM

The single centre OFF switch also selects either timed, or continuous operation, so in practice we have left the at a nominal 33 minutes (11111) in binary.

Alan

My apologies to all readers. For 33 minutes, please read 31 minutes.

May I add that I have also done what Robin has described and supplied the radio from the habitation battery, but with the following addition.

The ignition switch controlled supply to the radio (ACC+) is diverted to energise a changeover relay.

The common contact of this relay is connected to the ACC+ connection of the radio, the normally closed contact goes to the timer or remote switch, and the normally open contact is connected to the new supply.

With the ignition ON the radio functions as normal, and with ignition OFF the radio may be operated when the timer/remote switch is operated. Not perfect, as there is no remote control for the radio functions.

Alan

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread!

I've just been corresponding with the owner of a Westphalia motorhome on a 2017 Ducato X290 chassis, and he has the 180 minute off delay in his VP2 radio settings. I gave him instructions to bring up the software version of his unit on the display screen, but he says that doesn't work on his radio, so I can only assume at the moment that his unit may be on a later software version than mine.

This is an image of the off delay settings on his unit. I only have 0 or 20 minutes available on mine, and Fiat were adamant that there was no other option on the Unconnect 5.0 units.

Another owner on a different forum recently had an update applied to his radio by a Fiat dealer to improve DAB reception. Whether "Campermode" is also included in that update I can only guess, but something else to ask the FP dealer when I take my van in for service in the next month or so.

VP2_radio_off.jpg.338e6435113a239ab0172c85b9b72104.jpg

Archived