The Auto Trail Apache 632 (2017 model) ooops, we did it again!!

kevandali

Well, we went to the event NEC show to look at all the lovely motorhomes and in particular to see if there were any Auto trail tracker RB's at the show.
We found the tracker RB's but also the Apache 632,long and short of it, the Apache gets delivered in July 8-) 
We loved the idea of the bed in the Tracker that would save me getting trampled over by my better half when she decides to get up for whatever reason, but the Apache did it for us with the wider bed, better storage and garage that has access from the living area so the pooch can see us from her cage/home (I wonder how long that will last?)
Anyway, I know its a bit like shutting the door when the horse has bolted but just wanted to know if there were any reviews of the new model anywhere and if anyone owns an Apache 632 and what are your views on how it works for you.
Thanks in advance.
Kev and Ali x

Hi both

As you can see we own an Apache 632, had our first in 2011, and we love it, the garage is big and holds our 2 electric bikes. Has a water shower and a gas connector on the outside for washing boots or your pooch and BBQ ing

Found the inside ideal for what we need, i.e. Good dining area for us 2 and a cooker with an electric ring. Loads of storage and a nice drive.

We part exchanged the Apache at the NEC last October so will be picking up the new 2017 model in March, loving the large fridge & freezer, can hold more wine!!

Sure you will enjoy

Derek & Pauline

kevandali

There’s a 2009 “Practical Motorhome” report of an Apache 632 here

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/30047-auto-trail-apache-632

but the latest version is evidently a good deal longer, will be built on a Fiat Ducato X290 chassis (rather than the X250 chassis used in 2009) and will have a Euro 6-compliant motor not the Euro 4 powerplant used pre-2011.

Some throw-away observations just based on Auto-Trail’s on-line technical data

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/range/apache/632/technical-data

The Apache 632 is a tall design (even in Lo-line format), quite heavy (3275kg quoted for its Mass in Running Order) and has 225/75 R16CP tyres as standard. This combination - significant frontal area and MIRO, plus highish gearing - suggests to me that you’d be wise to opt for the 150bhp motor rather than the standard 130bhp one.

The 632 is available with a maximum gross weight of 3500kg or 3650kg. With a MIRO of 3275kg this translates to a user-payload of 225kg or 375kg respectively, meaning that you’d need to be careful not to overload at 3650kg and even more careful at 3500kg.

A current-model Ducato’s fuel tank capacity is normally 90 litres, whereas the 632’s capacity is given as 60 litres. Ducato 60litre fuel tanks have been mentioned in the past on this forum, so the Auto-Trail datum is probably correct. 60 litres is still 13 Imperial gallons (so hardly tiny) but it’s probably a good idea you be aware of this now rather than wonder about it later.

We have a 2011 model which has basically the same layout as your 2017 but slightly shorter at 6.95m. We love it. The layout seems to give definite areas e.g. lounge, kitchen, toilet and bedroom with lots of storage in all areas including the garage. It is perfect for 2.

We have made a few minor tweaks to suit ourselves which I think most people do, but the one that we think is most beneficial was the fitting of a second swivel table so that we have two and seldom use the larger table in the central isle. When we have grandchildren and want a little more space, we take out the tables and store them on the bed.

We have found Autotrail backup and service to be very good and if and when we replace would certainly want to stay with the AT logo.

We are sure you will enjoy your new MH.

We tried it at the show as well, only one very minor dislike which applies to other MH'sas well, is we prefer a bund between the worktop and the seats in case of spillage. There aint one anymore.

B-)

Also got caught in the storms on Thursday, got there fine, getting home there were no trains to Brum, big queues for the buses into Brum, then train to Cradley only went from Moor St to Snow Hill, so back on the bus. >:-(

lancepar - 2017-02-25 11:10 AM

We tried it at the show as well, only one very minor dislike which applies to other MH'sas well, is we prefer a bund between the worktop and the seats in case of spillage. There aint one anymore.

B-)

I agree, would of liked some sort of screen, could fit one but would not like to drill any holes in the woodwork.

Anyone got any ideas ?

You could probably fit some sort of protective ‘screen’ using brackets attached to the underside of the work-top (photo of kitchen-area attached). Might not be pretty, but at least the screw holes would be invisible if you removed the screen later.

Or you could use double-sided carpet-tape to temporarily attach a strip of flexible material (eg. a strip of domed rubber) around the work-to’s upper surface adjacent to the settee. That should prevent washing-up water from spilling on to the seat-upholstery, though I’d be a mite wary of the tape’s adhesive possibly staining the plastic work-top over time.

18716-10.jpg.80c80c7f894416e0cad3c0a81904b81f.jpg

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies, we have been sat in our old van discussing wether we did the right thing and going over all the situations that we have ever been in and how the 'new van' will be used.
Feel a lot better now that we have decided that it will cover all our needs and in most cases better than our old van.
Roll on July :-)

Caddies104 - 2017-02-25 11:25 AM

lancepar - 2017-02-25 11:10 AM

B-)

I agree, would of liked some sort of screen, could fit one but would not like to drill any holes in the woodwork.

Anyone got any ideas ?

I think the worktop 'island' is the same size as our Savannah and it has a curved screen at the edge of the worktop that prevents spillage and provides a nice visual separation. You should be able to get one from AT.

Robert

kevandali - 2017-02-25 5:59 PM

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies, we have been sat in our old van discussing wether we did the right thing and going over all the situations that we have ever been in and how the 'new van' will be used.

Feel a lot better now that we have decided that it will cover all our needs and in most cases better than our old van.
Roll on July :-)

Yes, don't get dragged down with buyer's remorse. That happens to all of us but you'll love it!

Robert

crocs - 2017-02-25 6:13 PM

...I think the worktop 'island' is the same size as our Savannah and it has a curved screen at the edge of the worktop that prevents spillage and provides a nice visual separation. You should be able to get one from AT.

Robert

I believe you’ll find that the kitchen-unit of a current model Apache 632 (photo in my posting above) differs from a Savannah’s (images attached) with a significant factor being that the latter’s work-top has no ‘overhang’.

It would appear that - with the Savannah design - Auto-Trail recognised that washing-up water could splash/leak on to the seating and addressed that potential problem, but has not done the same with the Apache 632.

Savannah.jpg.c7184572a3abe6cfbde92716c5a9f2b5.jpg

Savannah2.jpg.33141a62a75daa1f414bd1df94924fd5.jpg

Having looked at it again, Derek's right, this screen would need fixed to the counter with sealant and it may not be long enough. It actually provides only a cosmetic function on the Savannah as there is a slight space between it's bottom and a slightly raised edge which actually stops the water.

Robert

Not sure of the shape/size of the area you want to screen, but we are just about to purchase the 610SE PVC from Autotrail, and that has a (presumably glass) screen at the edge of the cooker, and would think its portably about 40cm x 10cm. Don't know whether this would suite, but..it does appear AT use them in some models.

You don't have t go to AutoTrail for the 'glass' divider as have a look at the following link:-

http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/en/Auto-Trail-Spares/Auto-Trail-LED-Illuminated-Divider.html

All you will need is a piece of half-round beading and fix this to the worktop and the divider fits to the top of this and at £14.95 not a bad price.

This is the same as in our Savannah and I am sure it will work in your Apache you don't have to wire it in but does look quite nice in the evening when it is.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Kev and Ali

We picked up our Apache yesterday and spent our 1st night in it at their overnight... Loving it, has so many good features from the big fridge freezer, bigger bed, drop down HD telly with built in DVD player and lots of USB points for charging.. And even a light in the oven,,, All round very happy with it,,,,

Caddies104 - 2017-03-07 2:10 PM  Kev and Ali We picked up our Apache yesterday and spent our 1st night in it at their overnight... Loving it......  
Bet you were both so excited, Ali has already found bedding to match the interior. We have been back to have another look and I think we might go for an extra 240v socket or usb charger in between the two cupboards above the fixed bed, just to the left of the shelves, mainly so we can charge our phones if needed when we are in bed.
Other than that, we might go for the Gaslow sysrem and a second leisure battery but not made our minds up yet.
Any surprises/tips/tricks then please PM us and let us know.

I suppose it will take a while to work out whee you want everything, one other thing I realised, was that the long fridge door opens from right to left so you have to walk past the fridge to open it when making a cuppa, it can be easily changed over so the catch is on the left and it opens the opposite way.

Happy motorhoming and please keep us informed how it is going :-)

Archived