Motorhome tyres

dav7

We need two new tyres for our motorhome. Upon Googling E-tyres, we see that they have advertised Michelin Agilis and another tyre Michelin Agilis Camping, what is the difference in the two, apart from the price. Any advice on these tyres would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michelin’s “Agilis+” is a ‘general purpose’ tyre intended for use on commercial utility vehicles and vans

http://tinyurl.com/jonzmcy

“Agilis Camping” is aimed at motorhomes primarily and is designed to tolerate higher inflation-pressures than “Agilis+” (It is also has M+S (Mud+Snow) marking.)

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-agilis-camping

Continental has a similar policy, with their “Vanco 2” and “Vanco Camper” tyre ranges, while Pirelli has “Carrier” and “Carrier Camper”.

This article may be of interest

http://whichtyres.com/2012/05/do-i-need-camping-tyres-for-my-motorhome/

(Is your motorhome still a 2002 Autocruise Wentworth? If so, what tyres - make and size - does it have at present and which two tyres - front or rear - do you plan to replace?)

Hi Derek thanks for your reply, yes we still have the Wentworth it is the front tyres we are replacing as the sidewalls have started to crack. Afraid that I can't remember the make of tyre, and as the M/H is several miles away in storage at the moment I can't just pop out to have a look, I think they are of some obscure make , the size is 215/70R15C.

I know this will double your cost!! But you state that you are only thinking of replacing the front tyres as they are showing signs of cracking.

If the rear tyres are the same age as the front I would suggest that they might not be far away from 'starting to show signs of cracking' as well. Unless you do a really high mileage it is unlikely you will wear tyres out. I agree, it does go against the grain to dispose of tyres with a lot of serviceable tread but far better to replace all 4 and prevent a possible tyre failure.

You never know you might even be able to negotiate a better price per tyre if you buy 4!

As tyre deterioration and loading on a Motorhome is different to any other vehicle, it is sometimes worth looking at swapping tyres to suit it's unique characteristics?

A front wheel drive Motorhome has the drive going through the front tyres with most of the braking effort on the front tyres, so these tend to wear slightly faster. Although, overall, the usual reason for tyre replacement on a Motorhome is tyre degradation, like cracking or ply separation, rather than wear.

Unlike any other vehicle, it is often the rear axle that tends to carry the most weight, likely the rear will be overloaded more than the front. Especially so in versions with large rear storage areas with a Garage or Electric bikes on a rack.

So if it was me, I would always put the new tyres on the back if only changing 2 and actually adopt a procedure to do this long term. It would save money by dropping the need to 'Rotate the tyres'.

You do want good tread depth on the front for obvious reasons of grip, etc. but tread deterioration is rarely an issue on a Motorhome. Even at 5 years there can be 5mm of tread left on the rears.

Because of the unique use and wear characteristics of Motorhome tyres I would therefore suggest a deliberate practice of only changing a pair at a time.

How about replacing the rear tyres every 4 - 5 years (whether they need it or not) and moving the old ones to the front of the vehicle, providing the rears are not showing signs of deterioration and have sufficient tread depth.

In reality this involves replacing the Front Tyres with new, but then putting those wheels on the rear and moving the Rear wheels to the Front.

Obviously you need to bring this change time forward if the fronts are showing signs of deterioration or the rears are getting below 4mm

This ensures that, for the majority of Motorhome owners, the fronts which do wear faster will always be adequate but the Rears will be new and the ones most likely better able to tolerate the heavy loading of the rear end.

The overall time a tyre is on the vehicle will never be more than 8 - 10 years maximum, in most cases less. Recent posts on here of tyres over 10 years suggest they are not uncommon.

One of the problems with the current guide lines to rotate the tyres so they all wear evenly, is that they all need renewal at the same time.

As this can be a financial burden some can't easily bear, tyres can be on the vehicle until the very last minute. Sometimes well after is safe.

Adopting a deliberate process of 2 tyres every 4 - years might mean they are changed more readily with safer vehicles as a result and at lower overall cost?

Just an idea that might need adapting to suit your particular usage?

Don't forget to replace the valves at the same time. Lots of information from Derek supplied in this thread below on the valves to use :

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/High-pressure-bolt-in-tyre-valves/46453/

Archived