The Pilote Range

Bop

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind but I'm after your thoughts and experiences of the Pilote Range, namely the Low Profile 740/746/700/706/vans but any comments on the other 6-series variants would be warmely welcomed too.

Any pointers on build quality, reliability, comfort, load capacity, running costs, water integrity, ground clearance, European travel, ferry access, and any other facts would be a bonus.

I have so far inspected a Low Profile P 740GJ Sensation and an A-Class G650U and my initial impressions have been good.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards to all,

Andrew

We bought a Pilote 710 Sensation last year and although we have not been too far in the last year (5000 Miles) we have had no problems with the van's build quality or reliability. The only problem we have encountered is with the Fridge Freezer which has a problem running on gas. A Dometic agent replaced the control panel and it seemed to cure the problem for a while but played up last week. It is going in for its first service next week and hopefully they can sort it out. We have not been on the continent with it as yet due to moving house but hope to drive down to Greece later in the year. We are very happy with the van and would recommend having the 150bhp engine which does not seem to use any more fuel than our old 130. We normally get between 28 and 30 to the gallon driving steady. We would definitely recommend Pilote. It is our 5th van and it is the only time at the NEC that we did not bother looking at new vans.

I bought a new P600 last summer and my neighbour bought a new P650 at the same time.Neither of us have had even the slightest problem with them and we are delighted with the quality of the motorhomes.

I can highly recommend them. We purchased them from Robsons of Wolsingham in the north east and we have also been equally impressed with them. Very honest,very nice people to deal with.

Good luck with your purchase.

Graham.

We've had a Pilote Reference 716P for three years, bought second hand when 6 months old, and now with 22,000 miles on the clock it still hasn't had much wrong with it.

The 150 engine works well and despite clogging it down the M1, round the M25 and M20 on the way to Eurotunnel (and back again) the fuel consumption isn't bad.

A tap replaced in the bathroom sink is about the only thing I can think that has gone wrong and that was only a couple of weeks ago.

No water ingress, Eurotunnel access easy, ground clearance no problem.

Check payload before buying (whichever make or model you buy) as the payload quoted by the Salesmen and Brochure seem to have been worked out on the back of a fag packet with no relation to the real world of a fully loaded holiday mode vehicle – mine's okay but you may be taking many more people on board than we do.

A few squeaks (which MH doesn't) and a few alterations to a some of the original habitation bits and pieces have been done but the MH has been, and still is, a good'un.

Petra - 2017-03-02 4:11 PM

We bought a Pilote 710 Sensation last year and although we have not been too far in the last year (5000 Miles) we have had no problems with the van's build quality or reliability. The only problem we have encountered is with the Fridge Freezer which has a problem running on gas. A Dometic agent replaced the control panel and it seemed to cure the problem for a while but played up last week. It is going in for its first service next week and hopefully they can sort it out. We have not been on the continent with it as yet due to moving house but hope to drive down to Greece later in the year. We are very happy with the van and would recommend having the 150bhp engine which does not seem to use any more fuel than our old 130. We normally get between 28 and 30 to the gallon driving steady. We would definitely recommend Pilote. It is our 5th van and it is the only time at the NEC that we did not bother looking at new vans.

A great write up Petra. I've not got to grips yet between the Sensation spec level and the other one but I'm working on it. There doesn't seem too many Pilote vans on the market with the 150BHP configuration so you've done well to get it.

Thanks again for the notes,

Andrew

0194geep - 2017-03-02 4:32 PM

I bought a new P600 last summer and my neighbour bought a new P650 at the same time.Neither of us have had even the slightest problem with them and we are delighted with the quality of the motorhomes.

I can highly recommend them. We purchased them from Robsons of Wolsingham in the north east and we have also been equally impressed with them. Very honest,very nice people to deal with.

Good luck with your purchase.

Graham.

Graham,

That's a fab post and it made me smile - lots!

I've only just visited the Wolsingham crew (they are my local dealer) and it was there that I got to inspect the two vans mentioned in my original post.

The only hurdle with the Robinson's Pilote Team is that they can't/won't take high value vans in PX so if I wanted to buy from them then I would first have to sell my current van privately.

That being said I reckon their service will be good.

The P600's and 650s are nice looking motorhomers so you must be pleased.

Thanks for the note,

Andrew

EDIT: FYI - we are off to SMC Motorhomes in Newark on Saturday to check out its Pilote Range. They may do PX.

Spireite - 2017-03-02 7:31 PM

We've had a Pilote Reference 716P for three years, bought second hand when 6 months old, and now with 22,000 miles on the clock it still hasn't had much wrong with it.

The 150 engine works well and despite clogging it down the M1, round the M25 and M20 on the way to Eurotunnel (and back again) the fuel consumption isn't bad.

A tap replaced in the bathroom sink is about the only thing I can think that has gone wrong and that was only a couple of weeks ago.

No water ingress, Eurotunnel access easy, ground clearance no problem.

Check payload before buying (whichever make or model you buy) as the payload quoted by the Salesmen and Brochure seem to have been worked out on the back of a fag packet with no relation to the real world of a fully loaded holiday mode vehicle – mine's okay but you may be taking many more people on board than we do.

A few squeaks (which MH doesn't) and a few alterations to a some of the original habitation bits and pieces have been done but the MH has been, and still is, a good'un.

"A cracking set of notes Spireite" many thanks indeed ;-)

Mrs Bop and I are going to check out the demo vehicles and the nearly new vans too. It sounds as if you get a good deal on your 716P; did you buy it from a Pilote Dealer or an independent?

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi

Just 2mths ago collected a Bavaria 740GJ class' practically identical to the pilote 740GJ sensation We've been on hookup and off hook up so tested all the systems so far so good. We ordered the heavy chassis 4400kg as want to carry a small motorbike in the garage, also 150bhp engine. Appears to have good ground clearance quite a fair overhang though. Dealer fitted a spare wheel underneath (payload no problem) manufacturer advise is 240kg max in the garage.Really happy with the quality and finish lighting is exceptional, beds have and good headroom despite being over garage and are easy to enter and exit even in the dark. Toilet opposite the shower is quite small but the door can be opened and locked across the corridor thus making a super large bathroom. Domestic toilet has a ceramic bowl and is "SOG" ready so already fitted one really easy. Only design gripe is the lounge bed (it's an option) the fill in cushion which rests on top of the center leg table has steel brackets which clip on the side bench but screw heads underneath would definitely damage the table top so I've purchased a couple of short table legs from b&q and will fit these to a small frame to support the end of the table, as the table has a center leg it's off set and needs support when used a's a bed Base.

Eggy

Eggy - 2017-03-02 8:54 PM

Hi

Just 2mths ago collected a Bavaria 740GJ class' practically identical to the pilote 740GJ sensation We've been on hookup and off hook up so tested all the systems so far so good. We ordered the heavy chassis 4400kg as want to carry a small motorbike in the garage, also 150bhp engine. Appears to have good ground clearance quite a fair overhang though. Dealer fitted a spare wheel underneath (payload no problem) manufacturer advise is 240kg max in the garage.Really happy with the quality and finish lighting is exceptional, beds have and good headroom despite being over garage and are easy to enter and exit even in the dark. Toilet opposite the shower is quite small but the door can be opened and locked across the corridor thus making a super large bathroom. Domestic toilet has a ceramic bowl and is "SOG" ready so already fitted one really easy. Only design gripe is the lounge bed (it's an option) the fill in cushion which rests on top of the center leg table has steel brackets which clip on the side bench but screw heads underneath would definitely damage the table top so I've purchased a couple of short table legs from b&q and will fit these to a small frame to support the end of the table, as the table has a center leg it's off set and needs support when used a's a bed Base.

Eggy

Thanks Eggy, so the garage retains a 240Kg max payload even with a 4.4T chassis. Do you find that to be OK with everything you need.

What I did like about the 740GJ was the sheer volume of storage space available, i.e. the two large cupboards under the beds. It's probably the best MH that I've seen too date for practical storage (within our budget). It also looks quite nice on the road too :-)

Like you I was also impressed with space in the bedroom compartment which sat above the garage. It looks incredibly well designed but I have to admit that I didn't take much notice in the loo set-up.

It's definitely one of our favourite vans so far but we'll need to travel about 130-miles to access our nearest accommodating Pilote Dealer.

Thanks Eggy,

Andrew

0194geep - 2017-03-02 9:07 PM

Andrew, the PX issue is a shame. I have also bought a new van from SMC and I know who I would rather buy from.

Thanks Graham, I really do appreciate your honest approach as it's advisory points like yours that help make or break the whole experience.

It takes me 15-minutes to get to Wolsingham and 125-minutes to SMC; add 45-minutes in the van.

Food for thought eh.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

0194geep - 2017-03-02 9:15 PM

Incidently,Robsons did a high value (30K) PX for me!

We are getting rid of our Autotrail van which is on a 66-plate. The AT Dealer is just up the road from us, within reason, so I'm suspecting that Robinsons didn't want to take an Autotrail due to proximity issues with the other dealer. They only seem to focus on a small range of new Pilote's and secondhand Elddis vans which seems to work for them.

Cheers Graham,

Andrew

A great company to deal with is Hayes leisure. The Original family importer of Pilote.

They do take high end PX's and know this brand extremely well and they carry spares.

Should you require them.

Den

Den - 2017-03-02 9:51 PM

A great company to deal with is Hayes leisure. The Original family importer of Pilote.

They do take high end PX's and know this brand extremely well and they carry spares.

Should you require them.

Den

Good Morning Den,

I'm pleased that you've mentioned Hayes Leisure as they seem to do the best deals on Pilote vans in the UK. The guys in Perth seem to do a good job too.

I did check the 'Dealer Locator' on the Pilote home page and it appears that we are not blessed with dealership numbers in the UK. I am also a bit concerned about where I eventually buy from due to the issues with warranty repairs etc.

I did notice that Pilote only run a 2-year warranty but at least they don't seem to be peddling some questionable elongated-style warranty as per other brands. All things considered I reckon 24-months is enough to help cover any new van issues.

I'm going to give them a call and see what PX deals can be done.

Cheers Den,

Andrew

We bought the MH at the Lincoln Show from SMC and got, what we think, was a good price on our 'old' MH – a Knaus.

The Pilote had been used by the Staff of MMM for jaunts on holiday in the UK and in France – the reports are in the magazines in 2013.

The Magazine's holidaymakers, it wasn't their vehicle so presumably it didn't matter how they left it, had left the vehicle needing a bit of TLC and that's what we gave it.

The price from SMC also was reasonable and having read the reports we knew, more or less, what to expect.

Whichever model you buy make sure it has a 'proper' spare wheel, not that gunk rubbish, and if possible get it fitted with a smoke alarm, Carbon Monoxide alarm, fire extinguisher and fire blanket.

We've added a second leisure battery, two Gaslow 11kg refillable cylinders, an 80w solar panel, B2B charger and alarm system and now can stay in France for long periods without access to hook up or LPG outlets.

Bop - 2017-03-02 9:24 PM

We are getting rid of our Autotrail van which is on a 66-plate. The AT Dealer is just up the road from us, within reason, so I'm suspecting that Robinsons didn't want to take an Autotrail due to proximity issues with the other dealer. They only seem to focus on a small range of new Pilote's and secondhand Elddis vans which seems to work for them.

Cheers Graham,

Andrew

Not much of a recommendation, if you are "getting rid" of a six months old van! A loss of 20% (Vat)

I don't think I would want to buy a van on the recommendation of some-one who sells a6 months old van. Why are you changing it??

PJay

Den - 2017-03-02 9:51 PM

Should you require them.

Den

Den,

While beating up a concrete floor this morning (we have a house project on the go), I've decided that Hayes Leisure is a bit too far from home in the event that something goes wrong and we require help etc.

If the MH Network was more like the car system whereby any dealer would support a warranty claim then we would have jumped at the chance to get a good deal.

As it stands we are not able to access our local Pilote Dealer (7-miles away) so our only real choice is SMC or nothing.

Cheers,

Andrew

Spireite - 2017-03-03 10:48 AM

We bought the MH at the Lincoln Show from SMC and got, what we think, was a good price on our 'old' MH – a Knaus.

The Pilote had been used by the Staff of MMM for jaunts on holiday in the UK and in France – the reports are in the magazines in 2013.

The Magazine's holidaymakers, it wasn't their vehicle so presumably it didn't matter how they left it, had left the vehicle needing a bit of TLC and that's what we gave it.

The price from SMC also was reasonable and having read the reports we knew, more or less, what to expect.

Whichever model you buy make sure it has a 'proper' spare wheel, not that gunk rubbish, and if possible get it fitted with a smoke alarm, Carbon Monoxide alarm, fire extinguisher and fire blanket.

We've added a second leisure battery, two Gaslow 11kg refillable cylinders, an 80w solar panel, B2B charger and alarm system and now can stay in France for long periods without access to hook up or LPG outlets.

Thanks Spireite, I appreciate the comments, especially the pointers for the kit need to tour France.

All the best,

Andrew

PJay - 2017-03-03 11:20 AM

Cheers Graham,

Andrew

Not much of a recommendation, if you are "getting rid" of a six months old van! A loss of 20% (Vat)

I don't think I would want to buy a van on the recommendation of some-one who sells a6 months old van. Why are you changing it??

PJay

The long story in short version:

We bought the AT from our local dealer as an impulse purchase and as a way for Mrs Bop and I to avoid ever having to visit some grungy hotel/B&B again while touring around the UK.

We settled on the Autotrail as the sales guy said they were the best on the market and since I didn't know much about MHs we proceeded with his advice.

The van is nice albeit a bit dull inside compared to the likes of the European-style manufacturers. We've made a few local UK trips and we think we now know what we want - yeah right :-)

That being said, Mrs Bop and I have spoken with herds of motorhomers in recent weeks and all have mentioned that you never get it right first time, or second, or third.......................

Bop - 2017-03-03 11:36 AM

PJay - 2017-03-03 11:20 AM

Cheers Graham,

Andrew

PJay

The long story in short version:

We bought the AT from our local dealer as an impulse purchase and as a way for Mrs Bop and I to avoid ever having to visit some grungy hotel/B&B again while touring around the UK.

We settled on the Autotrail as the sales guy said they were the best on the market and since I didn't know much about MHs we proceeded with his advice.

The van is nice albeit a bit dull inside compared to the likes of the European-style manufacturers. We've made a few local UK trips and we think we now know what we want - yeah right :-)

That being said, Mrs Bop and I have spoken with herds of motorhomers in recent weeks and all have mentioned that you never get it right first time, or second, or third.......................

Expensive mistake then.

I don't agree with the saying about not getting it right first time. We have had our van for 11 years now, and it will be our only one! We came to MH's late in life, having been sailors before. There are pro's and con's to all vans. I think you need to get the right lay out for your style of use.They cost a lot of money, to sit around for many weeks at a time

i hope you get the right one next time

PJay

We bought our motorhome from SMC last March as we lived in Lincolnshire at the time. We found them Ok to deal with but we had previously a Burstner from one of their salesman who had changed Motorhome dealers. We had to negotiate hard for a decent deal but both parties seemed to be happy. We bought the motorhome that was in the showroom which had several extras that we probably wouldn't have specified such as the second bed and fancy cushions and the reversing camera. They seem to have a decent selection of Pilote motorhomes when we went there so I am sure they will have something to suit you. I am not surprised you want to sell your Autotrail, I only had an Autotrail for 6 months and couldn't wait to get rid of it. Although we bought our motorhome at SMC Robsons seem happy to service it and do any warranty work. As for getting the layout wrong on the first attempt, after 4 vans all with different layouts our 5th van has gone back to the layout of the first.

Petra - 2017-03-03 4:29 PM

We bought our motorhome from SMC last March as we lived in Lincolnshire at the time. We found them Ok to deal with but we had previously a Burstner from one of their salesman who had changed Motorhome dealers. We had to negotiate hard for a decent deal but both parties seemed to be happy. We bought the motorhome that was in the showroom which had several extras that we probably wouldn't have specified such as the second bed and fancy cushions and the reversing camera. They seem to have a decent selection of Pilote motorhomes when we went there so I am sure they will have something to suit you. I am not surprised you want to sell your Autotrail, I only had an Autotrail for 6 months and couldn't wait to get rid of it. Although we bought our motorhome at SMC Robsons seem happy to service it and do any warranty work. As for getting the layout wrong on the first attempt, after 4 vans all with different layouts our 5th van has gone back to the layout of the first.

Hi Petra,

I've only just realised that you're local to me so thanks for posting such an honest reply. Im off to SMC tomorrow so I'll see then what they can do in terms of PX. We will be visiting Brownhills anyway to check out the Rapido Range but at least I'm getting close to making some form of decision.

It's funny that you guys and the Bop family have exactly the same take on the Autotrail vans. We just want something which has a nicer interior and a design which best suits our needs.

Thanks for the note,

All the best,

Andrew

Archived