The Pilote Range

Bop

Hi Bop

We were down in the West Country yesterday having our AutoTrail serviced and while we were down there went to Davan Caravans/MH's and Highbridge, We looked at the A Classes in each and have to say we were not impressed with the Pilote fit and standard of finish and thought that the Rapido's we looked at were much better. Pound for pound there was not much between them but our preference was the Rapido

We also had a look at the Hymers at Highbridge and they, I have to admit were a class apart but were in the region of £100k

Alan

AlanS - 2017-03-03 9:49 PM

Hi Bop

We were down in the West Country yesterday having our AutoTrail serviced and while we were down there went to Davan Caravans/MH's and Highbridge, We looked at the A Classes in each and have to say we were not impressed with the Pilote fit and standard of finish and thought that the Rapido's we looked at were much better. Pound for pound there was not much between them but our preference was the Rapido

We also had a look at the Hymers at Highbridge and they, I have to admit were a class apart but were in the region of £100k

Alan

Hi Alan,

We are just setting off now from the Shire so wish us luck. The Rapido Range, especially the 55th Edn, are very nice vans so we'll be chatting with the dealer about a deal on them too.

Will report back later.

All the best,

Andrew

Current Pilote coachbuilt motorhomes differ from Rapido equivalents in several significant ways. For example, Pilote uses aluminium ‘rails’ as part of its its construction metthodology, the side body-panels (unlike Rapido and Auto-Trail) are aluminium-skinned not GRP and Galaxy A-class designs have standard Ducato headlamps. Pilote also has a multi-part equipment/trim policy ranging (on Galaxy) from “Essential" (basic), through “Sensation” to “Emotion”, so some care needs to be taken when choosing a new Pilote motorhome’s specification. I don’t think there’s anything particulaly special or innovative about Pilote-branded motorhomes - for those characteristics one should look at Pilote Group’s Frankia or LeVoyageur brands.

I noticed at the NEC that Pilote low-profile motorhomes had a radio-aerial on the left front wing and it’s been commented on this forum in the past that Pilote’s cab-radio installation was bloody-minded, but French motorhome design in my experience tends to be a bit strange sometimes and lacks the pragmatism of German design.

(Hopefully Pilote motorhome handbooks are better nowadays than the one I provided the company with an English-language translation of in the early-2000s.)

Derek Uzzell - 2017-03-04 9:21 AM

Current Pilote coachbuilt motorhomes differ from Rapido equivalents in several significant ways. For example, Pilote uses aluminium ‘rails’ as part of its its construction metthodology, the side body-panels (unlike Rapido and Auto-Trail) are aluminium-skinned not GRP and Galaxy A-class designs have standard Ducato headlamps. Pilote also has a multi-part equipment/trim policy ranging (on Galaxy) from “Essential" (basic), through “Sensation” to “Emotion”, so some care needs to be taken when choosing a new Pilote motorhome’s specification. I don’t think there’s anything particulaly special or innovative about Pilote-branded motorhomes - for those characteristics one should look at Pilote Group’s Frankia or LeVoyageur brands.

I noticed at the NEC that Pilote low-profile motorhomes had a radio-aerial on the left front wing and it’s been commented on this forum in the past that Pilote’s cab-radio installation was bloody-minded, but French motorhome design in my experience tends to be a bit strange sometimes and lacks the pragmatism of German design.

(Hopefully Pilote motorhome handbooks are better nowadays than the one I provided the company with an English-language translation of in the early-2000s.)

Thanks Derek - and some great info as usual. I did notice the aerial located on the NSF wing and I've got to admit that it is a long time seen I've seen such a configuration. Very dated.

We did like the Pilote vans and even the A-class was impressive in terms of space and refinement for a 6.99m long van. Mrs Bop and I have a particular liking for the P740GJ and as such we are in talks with the dealer to see how many more £s we need to put into the pot.

We also popped into Brownhills for a coffee and the Swift 684 Champagne van took my liking too. The quality of the Swift is more like the Autotrail Range than that of the Rapido/Pilote but I liked it nevertheless.

I think we'll just buy something and start enjoying life.

Thanks for the points Derek,

All the best,

Andrew

We collected our new Motorhome from Hayes Leisure last week and were very impressed with the level of service given. I believe we were given a good deal and at no time were put under pressure to buy, everything was arranged as per our requests.

A Pilote 741G sensation with uprated chassis to 4400kgs, 150bhp engine with auto box which is very good despite a lot of people's negativity.

There is only two of us so we had cupboards installed instead of the cab bed, the rear bed goes up and down electrically and is very useful when in the garage.

Obviously we haven't put it through its paces yet but first impressions are very good.

Barcobird - 2017-03-05 9:36 PM

We collected our new Motorhome from Hayes Leisure last week and were very impressed with the level of service given. I believe we were given a good deal and at no time were put under pressure to buy, everything was arranged as per our requests.

A Pilote 741G sensation with uprated chassis to 4400kgs, 150bhp engine with auto box which is very good despite a lot of people's negativity.

There is only two of us so we had cupboards installed instead of the cab bed, the rear bed goes up and down electrically and is very useful when in the garage.

Obviously we haven't put it through its paces yet but first impressions are very good.

I've just checked the G741-series in my Pilote brochure and I have to say that it is a spectacular looking vehicle. Which variant did you opt for in the end - (a) Island bed, (b) twin beds to rear, or © rear bathroom.

I think you have made a great decision.

Very best, (and thanks for the post-up),

Andrew

Bop - 2017-03-07 8:16 AM

I've just checked the G741-series in my Pilote brochure and I have to say that it is a spectacular looking vehicle. Which variant did you opt for in the end - (a) Island bed, (b) twin beds to rear, or © rear bathroom.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

We went for the island bed which goes up and down giving more or less space in the garage, which is ideal when loading up. It gives you a lot more headroom when loading and then you can drop it down to the load.

Some might say it's a bit of an exarrangent to have a designated bedroom but it's nice not having to put infills and mucking about every night ( or maybe the day (lol) ). You can also close off the bedroom from the bathroom or the bathroom from the kitchen area or both which gives one large bathroom area.

Good luck.

Peter

Barcobird - 2017-03-07 8:52 AM

Bop - 2017-03-07 8:16 AM

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

We went for the island bed which goes up and down giving more or less space in the garage, which is ideal when loading up. It gives you a lot more headroom when loading and then you can drop it down to the load.

Some might say it's a bit of an exarrangent to have a designated bedroom but it's nice not having to put infills and mucking about every night ( or maybe the day (lol) ). You can also close off the bedroom from the bathroom or the bathroom from the kitchen area or both which gives one large bathroom area.

Good luck.

Peter

That layout sounds like a really nice combo, Peter. I saw a nice Piolte A-Class with an Island Bed at the weekend and the quality was top-notch. It was a smaller van to yours but nevertheless it seems that Pilote is producing some real nice vans across its entire range. I can see why people like them, i.e. You work hard and deserve something nice.

You'll have to update this thread once you've returned from your first adventure.

All the best,

Andrew B-)

It's official: Mrs Bop and I will be joining the Pilote Owners Club in June. We've just finalised the last of the details before ordering a new Pacific 740GJ (150BHP).

Very happy indeed.

Peter: I may see you at one of the up and coming club meets ;-)

Cheers,

Andrew

Spireite - 2017-03-07 2:24 PM

Congratulations.

June is going to seem like a very long time to you.

Thanks S, we are really looking forward to the change.

Our current van has very limited amounts of storage space and even poorer access from outside-in, so the addition of bigger outside lockers and a huge garage will be a big bonus for me.

I can't wait until June/July/August................... :-) but if we do receive it in June then it will be a big thumbs up from me.

All the best,

Andrew

Archived