Generators and the use of.

keninpalamos

An English friend parked nx to me in Spain has a Spanish couple parked the other side of him, all 3 of us in Hymers. One 614 & two 700's. At ten last night the Spanish chap started his TEC diesel built In genny. It was a warm night so doors and windows still open. These TEC generators are not quite like say a Honda EUi. They do make a bit of a racket at ten in the evening. The exhaust pipe pointed straight at my friends habitation door and eyes were starting to water etc. should he have asked the chap to turn it off or moved himself, or what do you think. Bearing in mind it is his country, (Spain) which he duly pointed out

Unless the campsite had published rules about using gennys (or was this wild camping somewhere) I suppose you'd just have to live with it.  It sounds like the Spaniard was well used to ignoring objections so unless you were much bigger than him and could muster a credibly threatening demeanour, not much to be done.

Worth carrying a CD of bagpipe music perhaps?

It is said that inside a Spanish passport are the words " I am a Spanish citizen, I can do what I want" I also saw a TV programme when an English person, a hispanophile who had lived in Spain for many years, complained to the person who lived in the flat above that the sound of his shoes on the hard floor were very disturbing. The reply was that I'm not a "moro" (moor), I don't wear slippers and if the noise bothers you you should have bought a top floor flat like I did". Also, 10pm is a time when a lot of Spanish people have dinner. The first time my wife went to Spain she couldn't believe that the go-kart track started up at 10pm and went on into the small hours.

StuartO - 2017-03-10 10:08 AMUnless the campsite had published rules about using gennys (or was this wild camping somewhere) I suppose you'd just have to live with it.  It sounds like the Spaniard was well used to ignoring objections so unless you were much bigger than him and could muster a credibly threatening demeanour, not much to be done.

Wouldn't the bagpipe music just have encouraged him to stay and enjoy it? *-) Robert

Yesterday we 'worked on' ( more advice really) a 35 year old Hymer on a Merc chassis in the most amazing condition and this had a built in Kohler petrol Generator which was anything but quiet.

Despite me being a big fan of the Honda Eu10i generator and admiration for the lovely 'Classic' looks of this Generator, I would not have liked to have been parked next to it.

aandncaravan - 2017-03-10 2:33 PM

Yesterday we 'worked on' ( more advice really) a 35 year old Hymer on a Merc chassis in the most amazing condition and this had a built in Kohler petrol Generator which was anything but quiet.

Despite me being a big fan of the Honda Eu10i generator and admiration for the lovely 'Classic' looks of this Generator, I would not have liked to have been parked next to it.

I think you may have miss read. It was a TEC diesel built in generator being operated not a Honda EUi which I carry but very rarely use & never on a site. This incident was not on a campsite

StuartO - 2017-03-10 10:08 AMUnless the campsite had published rules about using gennys (or was this wild camping somewhere) I suppose you'd just have to live with it.  It sounds like the Spaniard was well used to ignoring objections so unless you were much bigger than him and could muster a credibly threatening demeanour, not much to be done.

I didn't hear or see the incident (I was in a bar up the road next to the Go-Kart track listening to Robbin Hall and Jimmy McGregor) but if anyone started to play the bagpipes live or on CD I think we all would have left. Even the Spanish have a limit to noise..... So I've been told :D

keninpalamos - 2017-03-10 4:08 PM

aandncaravan - 2017-03-10 2:33 PM

I think you may have miss read. It was a TEC diesel built in generator being operated not a Honda EUi which I carry but very rarely use & never on a site. This incident was not on a campsite

I was referring to the 35 year old Kohler generator.

I should have written "admiration for the lovely 'Classic' looks of this (Kohler and noisy) Generator, I would not have liked to have been parked next to it because it was so noisy".

Save yourself the stress and move to a quieter spot ..always good to scan the campers you park near for gennys ,kids,dogs or Hire Vans (Alquilar on the side) with youngsters on board especially here in Spain they stay up till the early hours.

malc d quote .... "I'm surprised that the vans are that close together"...Camp or Aire in France or Spain close is the norm.

Brian K

Archived