Migrants situation

hallii

Recent press coverage suggests that migrants are gathering again near Calais, as well as near the Dunkirk Camp near the Dunkirk Auchan.  However the police are activley discouraging any restablishment of a camp near the Calais Port or activity affecting the A16 spur, and would-be migrants are attempting to board lorries at motorway service stations and rest aires on the approach to Calais, including some miles away from Calais itself.  There is a risk of gangs of migrants gathering and of violence at night time at these places.

Some motorhomers have been staying overnight at City Europe again and report no difficulties but I wouldn't try it.  Nor would I try staying overnight at the A16 Bay de Somme service area on my way back to UK.

For motorhomers crossing outbound there should however be no difficulty disembarking from ferries at Calais or Dunkirk as long as you keep driving for an hour or two thereafter before making an overnight stop.  Same for the Tunnel - but no need to spend extra money for the Tunnel unless you want to.

I'm one of those who park at Cite Europe where I have never seen an ounce of trouble probably because there is a large 2 storey Police station not 125 metres from where I park opposite Carrefour.

This Hotel de Police has multiple windows with a direct view over the carpark plus Police vehicles do a regular sweep of the area.

Agaric - 2017-03-10 2:07 PMI'm one of those who park at Cite Europe where I have never seen an ounce of trouble probably because there is a large 2 storey Police station not 125 metres from where I park opposite Carrefour.This Hotel de Police has multiple windows with a direct view over the carpark plus Police vehicles do a regular sweep of the area.

We have a Police Divisional Headquaters about 400 yards from our house but I doubt if that improves our crime prospects much; you see police vehicle driving in and out and being parked there overnight but you can't knock at the door to ask for help; there are only three police stations in Suffolk which have a counter and then its only open 9-5.  The nearest one to us is an hour's drive away.  I haven't seen a foot patrol in our town in years.

Maybe the French Police do look out of their windows during the night, perhaps when they are having a pee!  When I last parked at Citi Europe, a few years ago, we did see immigrants wandering around sussing out motorhomes.  Mind you that was before they cleared out the Calais Camp.

You pays your money (or rather assesses your risk) and you takes your choice!

StuartO - 2017-03-10 4:32 PM
Agaric - 2017-03-10 2:07 PMI'm one of those who park at Cite Europe where I have never seen an ounce of trouble probably because there is a large 2 storey Police station not 125 metres from where I park opposite Carrefour.This Hotel de Police has multiple windows with a direct view over the carpark plus Police vehicles do a regular sweep of the area.

We have a Police Divisional Headquaters about 400 yards from our house but I doubt if that improves our crime prospects much; you see police vehicle driving in and out and being parked there overnight but you can't knock at the door to ask for help; there are only three police stations in Suffolk which have a counter and then its only open 9-5.  The nearest one to us is an hour's drive away.  I haven't seen a foot patrol in our town in years.

Maybe the French Police do look out of their windows during the night, perhaps when they are having a pee!  When I last parked at Citi Europe, a few years ago, we did see immigrants wandering around sussing out motorhomes.  Mind you that was before they cleared out the Calais Camp.

You pays your money (or rather assesses your risk) and you takes your choice!

As it's a modern building the toilets will be close to the core, so windowless.I've seen people at night wandering around the carpark at night, most of them are lorry drivers parked up in the lorry park next to the Police station, on their way back from the Gaumont and the bars. The rest are late night staff, none this gives me any concern.

We were at Cite Europe last Saturday night, the carpark was being patrolled by a police dog handler. Also some new security fences have been erected and the hedges behind the police station where migrants previously sheltered have been dug up.

Stayed on the new aire in Calais last Saturday night not a sign of any migrants, no trouble whatsoever, walked into town had a meal and drink back then back to motorhome, had a very restful night up and off next morning after a coffee and croissant on the front.( Reality different from hearsay)

Archived