Emoticons

BKen1

starvin marvin - 2017-03-11 1:30 PM

What are you talking about?

You are obviously not on FaceBook where can post a "thumbs up" Emo if you like a post ...thats all Im talking about .

On other forums they have it or there is a "thanks" button or similar.

Brian K

BKen1 - 2017-03-11 12:59 PM

starvin marvin - 2017-03-11 1:30 PM

What are you talking about?

You are obviously not on FaceBook where can post a "thumbs up" Emo if you like a post ...thats all Im talking about .

Brian K

Dead right, I've got a life. Why not just say thanks?? Too simples?

You are obviously not on FaceBook where you can post a "thumbs up" Emo if you like a post ...thats all Im talking about .

Brian K

Dead right, I've got a life. Why not just say thanks?? Too simples?

Thanks *-)

Guest pelmetman

Fortunately I've never been shy of showing my emoticons :D .......

Although to my mate Derek U they're the devils spawn 8-) ........

For us "unedjermercated" they're surprisingly useful for adding that extra nuance or picante to a otherwise bland sentence ;-) ........

Especially when our apparent intellectuals have claimed all the Oxford Dictionary's posh insults >:-) .......

A 'Like' button could be useful to show I agreed with the comment or at least I found it interesting.

Many years ago, there was an newspaper Editor who chastised his journalists for using exclamation marks. His belief was that the text should be good enough on its own!

In the unlikely event anyone wants to thank me for a post, I'd like to know the reason. Much better to know why you are being thanked rather than wondering whether the poster just has a twitchy mouse. Oh, and if someone explains why they are grateful for a post, it suggests they have made a bit of an effort.

As Brian K says, many forums use them; some forums even count the number of thanks a member posts and receives.

Brian K, it won't accept my thumbs up emoji which I tried to give you because I think this topic should be raised from time to time with the changing membership.

Brock - 2017-03-11 5:00 PM

A 'Like' button could be useful to show I agreed with the comment or at least I found it interesting.

Many years ago, there was an newspaper Editor who chastised his journalists for using exclamation marks. His belief was that the text should be good enough on its own!

In the unlikely event anyone wants to thank me for a post, I'd like to know the reason. Much better to know why you are being thanked rather than wondering whether the poster just has a twitchy mouse. Oh, and if someone explains why they are grateful for a post, it suggests they have made a bit of an effort.

As Brian K says, many forums use them; some forums even count the number of thanks a member posts and receives.

Brian K, it won't accept my thumbs up emoji which I tried to give you because I think this topic should be raised from time to time with the changing membership.

It was suggested in another post that a "Thanks " is good which it is but to post "Thanks " on a great thread could have a thread that is just full of them.

I agree the whole thing could be a "look at all my Thanks " I have ,but there are great threads that are of interest to a lot of us ,but not everybody will post a comment / reply so to me the "thumbs up " button would be useful to show approval.

Brian K

Facebook has a wide range of emoticons

http://emojipedia.org/facebook/

but I’m unsure how merely adding a ‘thumbs-up’ emoticon to the ones currently available on the Out&AboutLive forums would be advantageous.

If you wanted to thank somebody or show approval for a posting or thread, you’d still need to create a posting yourself into which the ‘thumbs-up’ emoticon could be included. And if you were doing that, you might as well do what the last two posters have done and say “Thanks” or “Like” or “Awesome” (etc.) rather than just use the ‘thumbs-up’

As has been said above, plenty of forums have a ‘Thanks Button’ (the Practical Motorhome forum for example) which should be a better approach. But the O&AL forums’ software is way past its sell-by date and the chances of non-essential modifications being made to it are nil.

tup.jpg.e0ccc289cc6ed09101496ef14c4671cc.jpg

Perhaps I was less than specific in my original post ,my thoughts where along the line as you suggest Derek is to have the Like/Thumbs up within the individual post s similar to the Wild Camping Forum ,but as you say maybe not possible with the current site structure ,but for the future .... Still like this site and all the interesting posts here.

Brian K

Archived