Club ferry bookings - is it me?

sean.clarke

... or are they nowhere near what the used to be?

Just booking up a one way ferry to Santander on comparing the Brittany site and the C&CC online prices the club booking saves us.... just over £3.00!!!

We use the tunnel more, however we did book a ferry to France several years ago and from memory the savings was something around £60-£80.

sean.clarke - 2017-03-14 8:53 PM

Just booking up a one way ferry to Santander on comparing the Brittany site and the C&CC online prices the club booking saves us.... just over £3.00!!!

We use the tunnel more, however we did book a ferry to France several years ago and from memory the savings was something around £60-£80.

Any time I've tried it, I've failed to make a saving but I know that others have.

I get the impression that ferry companies don't give anyone more than 5 or 10% discount and then only on a restricted basis.  For example I tried to book via the Caravan Club last year and their discount was only available on the cheapest, no-flexibility class of tickets.

When I booked with P&O this year I used Boundless/CSMA membership and the nett discount was under £5.

The sensible thing to do is to shop around and avoid last minute booking.  It takes time on the computer and the phone but (as long as you avoid a premium rate phone line you will at least end up with the best available.

hi, never had problems with CCC but only used from dover to calais and harwich to hook of holland, i looked on the ferry websites got the prices then rung up the CCC and asked for a price then ask for a discount, always got at least 10% off done this about 10 times now

Jonathan

I seem to recall there has never been any much savings through the clubs on Brittany Ferries. Living in Devon however, and using the Plymouth - Roscoff route regularly we joined as BF Club members and even after paying the yearly sub, the are still savings even if you only travel once each way!

I notice the OP lives in an area which is well served by several BF routes, and would suggest, depending on what sort of vehicle he uses, he looks at this.

Unlike the eastern ferries from Dover, BF always has used 5m as the standard , and anything over that - ie most of us- incur a penalty. The' usable' height levels are set at 2.6m or 3m and always incur a further penalty.

There are other benefits of being in membership - if using overnight ferries, you get a reasonable breakfast allowance, otherwise theres a 10% discount on meals, subject to a minimum payment of I think £15.

Also if you travel on a outbound afternoon sailing there is a 'free' day cabin, and on the return travel on a morning sailing there's the free day cabin. This may not be applicable to all routes, as I m not sure if all of them have there times available, or indeed whether they all have cabins...but its certainly worth investigating.

I usualy find the CC, or the CMC as they are nowadays are cheaper for the route we use, namely Hull to Zeebrugge. The downside is that you need to contact the Club to make any changes, sometimes a bit more hassle.

Again, a lot depends on when you book and do try a range of dates if you can. Weekends can sometimes be no cheaper but the Thursday for example is much cheaper.

The other factor is that the Pound has dropped in the last year so if it is a European ferry company they may have changed the Pound prices to suit. I suspect we will find a lot of things more expensive as a result, although not always true, but a good excuse for manufacturers and service companies etc.

Hi

I used to book through CMC or C&CC but found two issues.

The first is that, if you want to make a last minute change you need to do it through the club that made the booking - bad luck if it's at a time they are closed. If you book direct you can just phone and make change.

Secondly is price. Generally I get a price online from the clubs then compare to booking direct online, often, but not always, it has been cheaper to book direct.

Peter

At the February NEC show I asked both the CMC and the C&CC what discounts they could achieve on the Portsmouth to St Malo BF route or indeed any BF route.

Both answered - "maximum of 10% - more likely only 5%"

So we will be joining the BF Club Voyage France as membership virtually guarantee a 30% discount plus other benefits as described above. I also queried the 30% discount with a BF member of staff and she said this was standard and very unlikely to be lower except in exceptional circumstances.

And as you are booking direct with BF changes can be made much more easily.

We travel twice/three times a year to France so it's a no brainer for us.

:-D

Matrix Meanderer - 2017-03-15 5:44 PM

So we will be joining the BF Club Voyage France as membership virtually guarantee a 30% discount plus other benefits as described above. I also queried the 30% discount with a BF member of staff and she said this was standard and very unlikely to be lower except in exceptional circumstances.

And as you are booking direct with BF changes can be made much more easily.

We travel twice/three times a year to France so it's a no brainer for us.

:-D

Last year we did 2 returns and one single with BF, and the 'statement' they issue annually, showed saving of over £250.....plus the convenience of not only booking on line, and comparing fare/ sailing times, but easy to amend if required. If you need to talk to someone we also find them very helpful.

sean.clarke - 2017-03-14 8:53 PM

Hi Sean

living where you do, between Poole and Portsmouth, I would say join BF club, the saving is 30%. The journey to the tunnel can take 3 hours, and you can be in Cherbourg in 3 hours from Pompey!

If you join deicide which one, ie. Spain/France, You save 30% on the Spanish trip, if you join the Spain group, and 10% on the France. If you join France group, you save 30% on France and 10% on Spain.

It pays for the joining fee, if you do more than one trip!

PJay

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thanks for all the advice.

PJay, bit the bullet and joined Club Voyage. All booked up, Pompey to Santander and then back Cherbourg to Pompey on the fast cat.

Already have a rough itinerary, just need to get specifics for the sites to stay at.... 3 weeks and counting.

sean.clarke - 2017-03-27 9:51 PM

OK, thanks for all the advice.

PJay, bit the bullet and joined Club Voyage. All booked up, Pompey to Santander and then back Cherbourg to Pompey on the fast cat.

Already have a rough itinerary, just need to get specifics for the sites to stay at.... 3 weeks and counting.

Hi Sean Which one did join? France or Spain?

Be aware that you have to back on the Fast Cat, at both Pompey and Cherborough.

You will have saved the cost of joining, already then, and cheaper following years.

we always use it, 3 hours is great. Of course We can be at terminal in less than 10 mins, so a no brainer for us.When you going/coming back? May see you . We can't go until May, then a quick dash down to Spain back July

Pauline

pagey - 2017-03-16 8:41 AM

HI for info if you hold shares in eurotunnel the will give a discount of 30% on 6 crossings a year we have shares but not many but we get the discount

The tunnel is fine if you live that side of the country . it takes us up to 3 hours to get there from Portsmouth, depending on traffic, and old ups,

We live in Portsmouth, so can be in Cherbourg in that time!

Have tried the tunnel, (twice) (free with Tesco) and great if you have dogs, or even mobility problems, as you stay in van. we had problems on second occasion at tunnel, kept us waiting 2 hours and did not put us on the booked train! So decided not worth doing again

Horses for courses comes to mind.

Hi,

we joined the Spain Club Voyage as we hope to book another Spanish trip later this year or early next. We leave for Santander on the 21st and return on the 7th. A lot of miles, but we're looking forward to it and like to move on after a day or two anyway.

Archived