1996 Fiat Ducato gearbox

Gilly4

My husband and I have owned a 1996 Fiat Ducato Swift Royale since 2008 during which time the synchro on the 3rd gear has failed twice (in 2010 and 2012), followed by the 5th gear failing (2013) and now the 5th gear and 2nd gear have failed! After the 3rd gear failed for the first time in 2010, my husband (who was a mechanic) replaced the 3rd and 4th gear synchro hub and when it failed for the second time (2012) my husband fitted another new 3rd and 4th gear synchro hub, new selector forks and replaced all the bearings. In 2013 the 5th gear synchro failed (in France!) and my husband replaced it. Now the synchro on the 2nd and 5th gears have packed up yet again! Since 2010 we have travelled about 20,000 miles - surely the parts should last longer than a few thousand miles before they need replacing. We know from reading MMM that there are many Fiat Ducato owners who have experienced similar gearbox problems and we are concerned that parts for these gearboxes are becoming unavailable, especially as it is a known fact that the gearbox is not fit for purpose. Whilst my husband is prepared to once again repair the gear box we are finding it impossible to locate a 2nd gear synchro (we have found a 5th gear complete assembly). Our local Fiat dealer has told us that they are unobtainable. Does anyone know where we may find one please? Any suggestions would be very gratefully received - we are becoming desperate!!! :-( Perhaps we should consider a reconditioned gearbox?

Try Premier Transmission in Birmingham. They advertise recon Boxer gearboxes (same as Fiat except for badge) on eBay so they must be able to obtain parts or make their own. They were recommended in an article in MMM on this problem. I believe parts are still available in plenty from Poland.

• 2 weeks later...

It must be possible to buy a serviceable gearbox from a scrapyard in your area.

Might be better to replace a gearbox which keeps failing anyway, rather than keep repairing it, in case there's still something going on inside it which is causing premature failures.

hi gilly4 i have the same van 2.5tdi 1996 i am assuming yours is the same although it could be a 2.5 non turbo but highly unlikely i believe Puegeot carry their parts for longer same vechicle or try IVECO as the 2.5tdi was the IVECO engine 94--98. if that leads nowhere try AXEL AUGUSTIN DE fiat profesional they are based in GERMANY they are brilliant main FIAT parts supplier or just phone them english spoken. finally if no success try contacting a chap in france BRITTANY through FLICKER called allan mcdonald he has the same van same year but lives in FRANCE he may have a source for parts out their im sure he wont mind been contacted good luck.

Archived