Satellite , which one

Pete-B

Uk progs come from Astra satellites located at 28.2 degrees east of south meridian. Unless you know a particular frequency and polarisation on a specific satelite, it doesnt matter to you whethr you call it Astra2a or astra2b , . Just point at the right spot and search for a signal.there are dozens of receivable channels, some free to air, others scrambled.

What receiver are you planning to use..I have silvercrest one and rotateable dish on a diseqc controlled motor, and can receive Astra1, astra2, and hotbird but only free to air . Uk, german and french stations.at home location.

Tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2017-03-16 7:53 PM

Uk progs come from Astra satellites located at 28.2 degrees east of south meridian. Unless you know a particular frequency and polarisation on a specific satelite, it doesnt matter to you whethr you call it Astra2a or astra2b , . Just point at the right spot and search for a signal.there are dozens of receivable channels, some free to air, others scrambled.

What receiver are you planning to use..I have silvercrest one and rotateable dish on a diseqc controlled motor, and can receive Astra1, astra2, and hotbird but only free to air . Uk, german and french stations.at home location.

Hi Tony, I'm new to this Satellite business, I've got a 65cm Satgear dish on a tripod which I got just yesterday. It's got an easyfind LNB fitted and I'm connecting this to my Avtex telly which also has easy find.

I spoke to Avtex yesterday and they said just connect dish to telly, click on the search button (which they call AQT) and the easyfind window will open then set elevation, rotate dish from south towards east until red light turns to green and you will be locked on.

Tried it at home today and all I got was the flashing red light but there are some houses across the road so I guess that could be the problem. We're off to Norfolk next week with the van so will give it a go there.

Tonyg3nwl

When pointing at the Astra 2 satellite it doesn't really help knowing it's at 28.2 degrees east of south.

What you really need to know is the position of the satellite relative to your current position.

For instance, if you were located in London, the whole circle bearing would be 146 degrees (34 degrees east of south), dish elevation 26 degrees. Or in Glasgow, 37 degrees east of south, dish elevation 20 degrees.

A handheld compass is good for establishing the initial search area.

If the OP has a smart phone he could download a sat pointer app to give bearing and elevation - never used it myself but understand it works OK.

Archived