29th of March......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2017-03-21 9:43 AM

StuartO - 2017-03-21 8:40 AM

Junkers was quoted recently along the lines of "once the negotiations with UK are completed, no other country will ever want to leave".

He clearly wants to punish UK to set an example. 

Or, hopefully, he means that the people running the EU will consider the effect of their policies on the populations of the EU countries more carefully - and improve things so that no one else will want to leave ?

I suppose that is possible.

;-)

With all this talk of Frexit, Nexit, Grexit, Iexit, Hexit etc .......I think Junkers doing a wonderful job :D .......

https://www.indy100.com/article/the-countries-most-likely-to-follow-britain-and-leave-the-eu-next-7445636

B-) .......

pelmetman - 2017-03-21 9:59 AM

Junkers was quoted recently along the lines of "once the negotiations with UK are completed, no other country will ever want to leave".

Or, hopefully, he means that the people running the EU will consider the effect of their policies on the populations of the EU countries more carefully - and improve things so that no one else will want to leave ?

;-)

With all this talk of Frexit, Nexit, Grexit, Iexit, Hexit etc .......I think Junkers doing a wonderful job :D .......

https://www.indy100.com/article/the-countries-most-likely-to-follow-britain-and-leave-the-eu-next-7445636

B-) .......

But Dave every chart shows a majority for their country to remain in the EU. Odd that that poll still shows a majority in the UK to leave as well (albeit a slim one) as 11 out of 13 recent polls here show a swing to remain. What it clearly shows to me is that Britain is (So far) alone in wanting to leave.

StuartO - 2017-03-21 8:40 AMJunkers was quoted recently along the lines of "once the negotiations with UK are completed, no other country will ever want to leave". He clearly wants to punish UK to set an example.  Hopefully it won't be as one-sided as that!

He won't need to. The damage has been self inflicted. Beano Brexiters are still under the naive impression millions is going to come magically pouring into the coffers of the Exchequer like Monopoly money. It's not. It's going to cost billions. First we have to pay £52 billion back to EU in unpaid budget commitments and the cost of leaving without single market will be 'at least' £66 billion a year with GDP possibly falling by as much as 9.5% under WTO.The Beano Brigade typically have shown zero regard or thought for countries such as Gibraltar which voted an overwhelming 96% to Remain. Many British residents with businesses there must now be regretting their decision to remain an Overseas Territory and wondering how they will sustain the 300,000 Spanish citizens they employ who cross the border daily. As Freedom of movement is such a sore point with Brexiters i expect they will have no objection if Spain closes it's border throwing thousands out of work and forcing previously thriving businesses to close down.At least Gibraltar got a vote......unlike Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey, not to mention UK’s Overseas Territories such as the Falklands which receives EU money from the European Development Fund. They also rely heavily on EU for their export market, 75% of which goes there. Not only would the Falklands’ export market be in danger, so would the guaranteed solidarity of all 28 EU member states in recognising British sovereignty over the islands. Whenever an Argentine president launches a new diplomatic drive against the self-determination of the islanders, as the last one did, they receive no hearing at all in European capitals. By removing the obligations to Britain in the European treaties, leaves the front door wide open for any future Argentinian president. Falklands islanders must be kicking themselves. It's no use looking to who we think is our "new friend", the US, either, because they've long refused to recognise self-determination of the islanders as the US want to keep Argentina sweet fearing a Russian domination of Latin America.So the £350 million per week LIE which was going to "fund our NHS" pales by comparison to what people are going to be paying for many many more years to come. No, Junkers does not need to "punish UK".......we're doing a damn good job of that ourselves.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-03-21 10:49 AM

pelmetman - 2017-03-21 9:59 AM

;-)

B-) .......

But Dave every chart shows a majority for their country to remain in the EU. Odd that that poll still shows a majority in the UK to leave as well (albeit a slim one) as 11 out of 13 recent polls here show a swing to remain. What it clearly shows to me is that Britain is (So far) alone in wanting to leave.

You need to give Junkers time Barry ;-) ........and once they see that the UK is thriving, then you'll see the rats jump off the SS EU Titanic B-) .......

Charles - 2017-03-21 9:46 AM

Nuclear weapons have kept the peace since the 2nd world War. So far, so good...

One of the reasons that the EEC / EU etc were set up was to stop European countries going to war among themselves - which had been a bit of a habit.

That has been successful. Wars in Europe since the second world war have been outside the EU.

Nuclear weapons have prevented global conflict ( so far - so good, as you say ) - on the basis that no-one would win.

;-)

Archived