29th of March......

Guest pelmetman

StuartO - 2017-03-20 2:11 PM

Now that Brexit's really going to happen, I'm feeling a bit nervous about it!

You should be but its a long way from "happening". If your still out in Spain Dave, now would be a good time to change some Euros if I were you as it was after the PM's statement in October about invoking Article 50 that the pound took a dive. Then again the Euro will probably fall with it.

Let the chaos begin.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-03-20 3:23 PM

You should be but its a long way from "happening". If your still out in Spain Dave, now would be a good time to change some Euros if I were you as it was after the PM's statement in October about invoking Article 50 that the pound took a dive. Then again the Euro will probably fall with it.

Let the chaos begin.

The exchange rate out here is still £1.50 for a bottle of wine B-) ......

pelmetman - 2017-03-20 3:43 PM

Barryd999 - 2017-03-20 3:23 PM

Let the chaos begin.

The exchange rate out here is still £1.50 for a bottle of wine B-) ......

Explains a lot Dave ;-)

Will join your virtual party if only to drown my sorrows. Will be paying a bit more for the experience over here in Blighty. :'(

I suspect many of our Grand Parents that fought in the war if they are looking down on us may well wonder why after they fought for peace and unity in Europe and after we have enjoyed relative peace here since the EU was formed we are allowing far right nutters to rise and cause the break up of Europe that will at some stage threaten everything they fought for. Far right leaders of Europe in the past included Franco, Mussolini and Hitler remember.

Barryd999 - 2017-03-20 6:43 PM

I suspect many of our Grand Parents that fought in the war if they are looking down on us may well wonder why after they fought for peace and unity in Europe and after we have enjoyed relative peace here since the EU was formed we are allowing far right nutters to rise and cause the break up of Europe that will at some stage threaten everything they fought for. Far right leaders of Europe in the past included Franco, Mussolini and Hitler remember.

Oh Yeh!! I'm sure my grandfather would be over the moon knowing Germany now rules Europe. Wonder what his thoughts would have been when going paying his respects at his brother's and his cousin's graves in Belgium and France. >:-(

Dave

I know my old Grandad wouldn't think that ... When he used to come home to Huddersfield he always used to say "To think I fought for this" ... The site of his home town turning into a foreign , alien place to him turned his stomach ... Glad he can't see the country now God bless him

antony1969 - 2017-03-20 7:23 PM

I know my old Grandad wouldn't think that ... When he used to come home to Huddersfield he always used to say "To think I fought for this" ... The site of his home town turning into a foreign , alien place to him turned his stomach ... Glad he can't see the country now God bless him

What was the "this" your grandad fought for and spoke of Antony? Did it result from our membership of the EU? I had gathered from you many posts that it was a Huddersfield that took in migrants from Pakistan to work in the textile industry back in the 50s/60s when there was a shortage of British workers who would do the least attractive jobs in it. I may have missed something here.

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2017-03-20 7:43 PM

antony1969 - 2017-03-20 7:23 PM

What was the "this" your grandad fought for and spoke of Antony? Did it result from our membership of the EU? I had gathered from you many posts that it was a Huddersfield that took in migrants from Pakistan to work in the textile industry back in the 50s/60s when there was a shortage of British workers who would do the least attractive jobs in it. I may have missed something here.

Veronica

I dont think you've missed anything "here" Veronica ... Why don't you let your imagination run riot and draw your own conclusions

Barryd999 - 2017-03-20 6:43 PMI suspect many of our Grand Parents that fought in the war if they are looking down on us may well wonder why after they fought for peace and unity in Europe and after we have enjoyed relative peace here since the EU was formed we are allowing far right nutters to rise and cause the break up of Europe that will at some stage threaten everything they fought for. Far right leaders of Europe in the past included Franco, Mussolini and Hitler remember.

So the EU has delivered relative peace has it?  I wonder what kept the peace in the 48 years between the end of WWII and the EU forming on November 1 1993?

Too much credit?....or credence is given to the 'EU' delivering peace.  Actually in reality it has delivered a 'little' war all by it's own expansionist ideas.  You only have to look at Russia and Ukraine.  Russia is somewhat concerned about Ukraine joining the EU and as a consequence was all but forced into the annexation of the Crimea or face (possibly) losing it's access to Sevastopol the home of it's Black sea fleet.  Add to that the looming accession of Turkey to the EU and Russia is understandably feeling squeezed.  So, far from keeping the peace the EU is through it's expansionist policies pushing Russia further towards military intervention.

RogerC - 2017-03-20 8:29 PM
Barryd999 - 2017-03-20 6:43 PMI suspect many of our Grand Parents that fought in the war if they are looking down on us may well wonder why after they fought for peace and unity in Europe and after we have enjoyed relative peace here since the EU was formed we are allowing far right nutters to rise and cause the break up of Europe that will at some stage threaten everything they fought for. Far right leaders of Europe in the past included Franco, Mussolini and Hitler remember.

So the EU has delivered relative peace has it?  I wonder what kept the peace in the 48 years between the end of WWII and the EU forming on November 1 1993?

Too much credit?....or credence is given to the 'EU' delivering peace.  Actually in reality it has delivered a 'little' war all by it's own expansionist ideas.  You only have to look at Russia and Ukraine.  Russia is somewhat concerned about Ukraine joining the EU and as a consequence was all but forced into the annexation of the Crimea or face (possibly) losing it's access to Sevastopol the home of it's Black sea fleet.  Add to that the looming accession of Turkey to the EU and Russia is understandably feeling squeezed.  So, far from keeping the peace the EU is through it's expansionist policies pushing Russia further towards military intervention.

Ok so the EU in its latest form was created in 1993 but the EEC was formed not long after the second world war and of course us working together, having a common market and in more recent times a common European Parliament and union has kept the peace but I did say relatively. We do not know how it would have fared without all that but our European History prior to it is littered with conflict.Swapping all that for a broken Europe with countries all going their separate ways and electing hard line extremist governments is an accident waiting to happen. As mentioned earlier. Franco, Mussolini and Hitler to name just three pretty bad examples. Where is Dave Pelmet by the way? Has he been crushed under a barage of mobility scooters at the super market? I hope ive not upset him :D

RogerC - 2017-03-20 8:29 PM

I wonder what kept the peace in the 48 years between the end of WWII and the EU forming on November 1 1993?

Originally it was the European Coal and Steel Community set up in the early fifties with the idea of unifying certain countries and " making war unthinkable"

Then along came the EEC ( and EFTA ) and eventually the EU.

Compared with the first half of the 20 th century in Europe I reckon the second half went fairly well.

;-)

OK so I was playing semantics over the date/name issue....but in terms of that union keeping the peace I suspect that the advances made in weaponry, in monitoring, in communication, in reconstruction etc etc would have played a big part in the relative peaceful progress that has been made.  Incidentally as relations with the USSR didn't lead to war (apart from the proxy ones between the USSR/USA/CHINA elsewhere of course)in Europe one suspects there is more to European peace than just the beginnings of a trading bloc.  Although like a great many other things going on right now there is a lot of 'what if' coming from certain quarters.

There might be, to the amazement of a great many people, a fantastically beneficial outcome to all of this.  As with remaining in the EU....there are equally too many unknowns and no really informed crystal balls.

Barry....sorry but I don't consider 7 May1945- 25 March 1957 to be 'not long after'......almost 12 years?

I see the expansionist ideals of the leadership leading to the Kremlin taking military action in Crimea has bypassed your response.  Too much of an 'own goal' in terms of keeping the peace maybe?

Just because the UK voted to leave shouldn't mean a 'broken Europe'.  If it is such a good organisation, as it is considered to be by some, then surely just because one of it's net contributors (last count £8.5 billion) decides to leave shouldn't mean it will 'break'?  If it does then that might indicate that those within the EU bureaucracy tasked with negotiating the terms of our exit should consider where that £8.5 billions could be destined after we leave.  It is an awful lot of 'pocket money' and will certainly be spent somewhere!! 

Thanks for the info malc d, some might have needed it, fortunately I was already aware of the history and was just 'playing' with Barry.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-03-20 9:31 PM

Swapping all that for a broken Europe with countries all going their separate ways and electing hard line extremist governments is an accident waiting to happen. As mentioned earlier. Franco, Mussolini and Hitler to name just three pretty bad examples.

Where is Dave Pelmet by the way? Has he been crushed under a barage of mobility scooters at the super market? I hope ive not upset him :D

Broken Europe? *-) ........Looks fine from where I'm sitting B-) .......and finally heading in the "Right" direction :D ........

RogerC - 2017-03-20 10:14 PMOK so I was playing semantics over the date/name issue....but in terms of that union keeping the peace I suspect that the advances made in weaponry, in monitoring, in communication, in reconstruction etc etc would have played a big part in the relative peaceful progress that has been made.  Incidentally as relations with the USSR didn't lead to war (apart from the proxy ones between the USSR/USA/CHINA elsewhere of course)in Europe one suspects there is more to European peace than just the beginnings of a trading bloc.  Although like a great many other things going on right now there is a lot of 'what if' coming from certain quarters.

There might be, to the amazement of a great many people, a fantastically beneficial outcome to all of this.  As with remaining in the EU....there are equally too many unknowns and no really informed crystal balls.

Barry....sorry but I don't consider 7 May1945- 25 March 1957 to be 'not long after'......almost 12 years?

I see the expansionist ideals of the leadership leading to the Kremlin taking military action in Crimea has bypassed your response.  Too much of an 'own goal' in terms of keeping the peace maybe?

Just because the UK voted to leave shouldn't mean a 'broken Europe'.  If it is such a good organisation, as it is considered to be by some, then surely just because one of it's net contributors (last count £8.5 billion) decides to leave shouldn't mean it will 'break'?  If it does then that might indicate that those within the EU bureaucracy tasked with negotiating the terms of our exit should consider where that £8.5 billions could be destined after we leave.  It is an awful lot of 'pocket money' and will certainly be spent somewhere!! 

Thanks for the info malc d, some might have needed it, fortunately I was already aware of the history and was just 'playing' with Barry.

Actually its beginnings were in 1950 with the European steel and coal community (as mentioned) https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/history/1945-1959_enAs for it being broken up there are many on here that have gleefully wished for this to happen. If they get their wish and the far right extremist parties start to take power then it will indeed be the end of the Union and God knows what they really have in mind. Of course this will shatter the peace once they get their feet under the table. I have faith in the European people that they wont let whats happened here happen to them but I could be wrong. Clearly they have gained a lot of support.As for the 8.5bn I wouldnt get too excited about spending that pocket money. Firstly we can expect a bill for €60bn which apparently many are saying we can just tell them to get stuffed over but lets just wait and see who ends with who by the short and curly's and secondly if the economists are proved right just a 1% dip will cost us €20bn per year so you may get your Brexit but its going to be really really expensive. It will be worth it take back control though huh? Of what I am not sure as the immigration myth has been put to bed, that wont change which leaves EU laws. Nobody can name any I bet.

The EU tried to keep the peace because it was against the illegal invasion of Iraq - which has now lead to countries like North Korea developing Nuclear Weapons to make sure it doesn't happen to them :-(

Germany has come to dominate Europe and become very prosperous and egalitarian by developing its industry rather than its military. Britain could have done the same :-S

StuartO - 2017-03-21 8:40 AMJunkers was quoted recently along the lines of "once the negotiations with UK are completed, no other country will ever want to leave". He clearly wants to punish UK to set an example.  Hopefully it won't be as one-sided as that!

Isn't it ridiculous ... Has echoes of threats to those who want to leave the Islamic faith ... http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/781608/Brexit-news-outrage-Jean-Claude-Juncker-claims-not-worth-leaving-EU ... Freedom of movement ??? ... No freedom of anything belonging to that club by the sounds of it ... Rule by fear maybe ... Roll on the 29th and roll on when the talks collapse

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-03-21 8:46 AM

The EU tried to keep the peace because it was against the illegal invasion of Iraq - which has now lead to countries like North Korea developing Nuclear Weapons to make sure it doesn't happen to them :-(

Germany has come to dominate Europe and become very prosperous and egalitarian by developing its industry rather than its military. Britain could have done the same :-S

One of those quirks of history I think you'll find John ;-) .......Germany wasn't allowed to develop its military for obvious reasons........Although it appears they have found another way to dominate Europe *-) .......

Old habits die hard eh? >:-) .......

StuartO - 2017-03-21 8:40 AM

Junkers was quoted recently along the lines of "once the negotiations with UK are completed, no other country will ever want to leave".

He clearly wants to punish UK to set an example. 

Or, hopefully, he means that the people running the EU will consider the effect of their policies on the populations of the EU countries more carefully - and improve things so that no one else will want to leave ?

I suppose that is possible.

;-)

Archived