rear camera

concrete

Help.

Has anyone fitted a reverse camera to a motor home. I have purchased one to fit to my 2008 Swift RL90

the camera has two lens for the long and short view. The monitor fits on the interior rear view mirror.

I am reliable told I can use an existing 15 amp fuse operated by the ignition key for power supply.

A major concern is removing the cab trim in order to "hide cables".

Any advice greatly appreciated.

The first thing to ascertain is the type of cabling and connectors between the cameras and monitors. If the system is using the 4-Pin Aviation connectors then the monitor will be supplying the power to the cameras.

A 4 or 6 Pin Mini DIN connector can also be used to feed power to the cameras.

Otherwise you will have to supply a separate power feed to the cameras and monitor.

It is not too difficult to find an spare connector in the fuse box that is ignition switched. You may also want to identify a circuit that goes live when reverse gear is selected. This will allow the monitor to switch between driving and reversing mode.

I cannot comment on the required power requirement without knowing the specifications of the monitor and cameras. Presumably the kit came with some literature.

I strongly advise you use a multimeter to check all the circuits before powering on. Most of the trim around the cab of a Swift/Fiat is easily removed. Factory fitted Swift systems usually have the cabling from the monitor run down the B-pillar then along the underside of the floor.

If you are not absolutely sure what you are doing with electric circuits and trim removal then get an expert to fit it

If you are lucky and you have a fairly recent mh you might have the cabling pre-installed. Unfortunately, this is not the panacea that it may appear at first sight. On my previous Hobby Siesta the pinout on each end of the cable was different and the number of wires was not the same as either! I ended up having to use the braided protection layer as an earth return. Also, I found that the cable was unable to provide sufficient current to drive the cameras at night, probably due to voltage drop.

You will need to work out how to switch the cameras to have the downward facing camera coming on when you engage reverse. In my case I used a manual rocker switch fitted to the dash

The original poster said “Has anyone fitted a reverse camera to a motor home. I have purchased one to fit to my 2008 Swift RL90.” I’m guessing that this reference is to a “Sundance 590RL” model and (as you’ve advised) cabling for a reversing camera may have been pre-installed.

This MHFun discussion may be of interest

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/wiring-reversing-camera.106795/

However (as you’ve also mentioned) marrying a twin-lens camera system to pre-installed cabling may prove tricky.

concrete - 2017-03-21 11:09 AM

Help.

Has anyone fitted a reverse camera to a motor home. I have purchased one to fit to my 2008 Swift RL90

the camera has two lens for the long and short view. The monitor fits on the interior rear view mirror.

I am reliable told I can use an existing 15 amp fuse operated by the ignition key for power supply.

A major concern is removing the cab trim in order to "hide cables".

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Rightly or wrongly, I took my live feed from the back of the cigarette lighter socket. Not had any problems.

Its possible you may, like me, have a degree of radio interference from the proximity of the rear view mirror mounted monitor to the aerial cabling. This is worst in marginal signal areas.

Archived