Garmin Camper 770 - Review

StuartO

david lloyd - 2020-08-11 9:56 AM

Nicepix - I agree with you entirely. This is the second Garmin I have tried with pretty much the same results. The first one I tried I returned and got my money back then bought a a TomTom Pro that is far superior in every way. The only reason I am keeping this 770 is that it came with the vehicle and is linked to a wireless reversing camera - which also leaves much to be desired - so, until I can afford to have a proper camera fitted I will continue to use it. However, if we ever get to go overseas again my TomTom will be the satnav of choice.

David

Unfortunately I paid a lot of wedge for my Garmin 770 and reversing camera which is all but useless when the sun is behind the vehicle and not much better at other times. I refuse to buy another TomTom after they reneged on the updates for life promise despite almost daily pleadings from the company to buy a new product at discount prices.

What really, really pees me off about the 770 is when it directs me to take the road described as something like; "Rue Louis Pasteur" which at best is a small blue sign somewhere on a nearby building, whereas the TomTom would have said something like: "Take the D4 marked Figeas" with a green road sign icon identical to the one I can see on the roundabout exit.

We still use a 760. Generally it is ok, but my wife always back up with a map and we take many short cuts, but generally only on larger roads. When the map has settled down, I feel we are generally covered for weight height and width restrictions. That said, sometimes it messes up completely.

Does anyone actually remember the days when we HAD to use maps! It's all too easy now. (lol)

Archived