Smallest 4 berth camper with loo & shower ideas?

markek

Hi,

Looking for recommended probably new, but could be used if good design, smart compact options on an automatic 4 berth-seatbelt campervan / motorhome.

What are best alternatives to eg a 4-berth Hymercar?

I really like the outside size of the Volkswagen California, have heard it drives v well, I like the roof bed design, but it has no loo/shower and beds seem v small for '4 people'. What else is there similar size, but with loo-shower and better beds whilst also being as compact as possible for narrow lanes and regular street parking in town as a second family vehicle?

Will be used for weekend trips away, not always on sites with facilities.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like , you are looking for "a needle in a haystack" From other postings I get the impression that Automatics are hard to come by. A 4 berth with toilet/shower may too big to use as a second car. Height barrier seem to come into consideration.

Even our local tip has a barrier ,which most 4x4 can't get under. (except on Fridays, when they lift it for a day!! )

Good luck in your search

PJay

Hi markek

Sorry, no help, model-wise but...

With 4 of you (2 adults, 2 kiddies?), with anything T5 sized (or possibly even swb X250/290 sized?) you would probably end up using an awning/canopy(even a pup tent at some stage?) of sorts anyway. If an awning etc is something that would fit your perceived style of usage, then personally, my van search would be keeping the awning usage in mind..

(eg- They'd be little point in dismissing vans, just because not all four bunks were as good as you'd like or because some were a faff to assemble etc, if one/two of you are going to end up sleeping in an awning anyway..

:-D )

We struggled to find a camper with a toilet when we were window shopping last year let along 4 berths.

The Warners Show at Peterborough is later this month and it will have new campers on display. There might be one to suit you on show but if not, you can ask the manufacturers whether one exists.

AutoSleeper make a 4-berth Panel Van Conversion but I don't know whether it is for 4 adults. Knaus produce similar camper vans to Hymer including a 5 berth.

You are more likely to find a small 4 berth with combined loo and shower among older vans. Our Avantgarde is 5490 long 2895 high. To be honest I think its Ok for 2 with all the gear we carry. I wouldn't want to try and spend any time in it with 3 other people and besides it has no rear belt seats.

Hi

You could consider a Globecar. We hare on our second and are very pleased . 4 seat belts.

Now, whilst ours is only two berth earlier this year I saw a 4 berth at SMC Newark.. it had a lifting top to give access to a bed for 2 children. I thought at the time that my kids would have loved that back in the day when they were a suitable age.

Definitely worth a look.

Peter

If you are only going away for weekends, why do you need a shower?

I'm sure you could survive a couple of days without a shower. Unless, you plan doing fell running or other sweaty activities !!!

A shower is a "nice to have" but not essential. A body wash with a flannel is an alternative. :-D

Robbo - 2017-04-05 12:03 PM

I'm sure you could survive a couple of days without a shower. Unless, you plan doing fell running or other sweaty activities !!!

A shower is a "nice to have" but not essential. A body wash with a flannel is an alternative. :-D

Following on about MH showers:

It is worth noting that showering in a MH does require a certain amount of frugality. The boiler contains only about 12litres of hot water. Most pumps deliver at 7litres per minute. So, 4 minutes max with 50:50 hot/cold or one minute per person (assuming 4 persons).

To overcome this, many experienced MH users adopt the "sailor method" when showering to reduce water usage. Initially wet the body and turn off the shower. Soap the body. Turn the shower back on again and rinse off.

This method may not appeal to those used to luxuriating under a shower for minutes on end. Best to be warned, especially if you are the last person to use the (cold) shower !!!

My concern about a minimalist approach to a MH shower is that the elbow room to enjoy a shower will be inadequate and when showers are squeezed into small MHs, they often share space with the washbasin and toilet, so that everything gets wet when you have a shower, which calls for an elaborate wiping down afterwards.

We have a ten year old Hymer which has a swing wall bathroom, which came in as a new design feature and actually manages to provide enough space for both bathroom and shower (although not simultaneously) and without wiping down too much afterwards because at least it's just straight walls so you use one of those wiper blade things.

If you are content to go camping (rather than motorhoming in comfort) using a small vehicle to which various tent-like extensions can be folded out, you might well find something which will make a go at accomodating four.  But God help you if it rains and pours because if you are all in there at once you're going to be falling all over yourselves. Evern in our 7 metre A Class Hymer, four people is two too many.

Hi

I think the poster has the right idea. Small is better in our view as it can get anywhere re white van can get--- and that is almost anywhere. Our experience from when our kids were kids was that they lived outside most of the time, and when they were indoors they just played board games and the like.

True, a shower is not absolutely essential ( our view was that the toilet was necessary) but if kids come in covered in mud a shower can be the best solution. Now We have a small shower with a shower curtain, which can make it a fight, but if I come back from a run or muddy bike ride it does the job.

A drive away awning can solve storage issues and kids can be parked outside.

It might be cosy for a family of four but it can also be fun. We had a tiny caravan with a dinette that converted to a double bed at one end, and two bunks at the other. The smallest kids topped and tailed.

We had some brilliant trips they still talk about now 25+ years on.

Peter

We travelled Europe in a VW campervan with one child (bunk over cab) and a portapotty - luxury.

Had friends, also with a VW campervan with rising roof with 2 bunks in the roof and they had 2 children.

It is possible with a campervan but ideally you need warm weather conditions for outside living.

When our son reached teenage years (and brought a friend along) they slept in an easily erected dome tent.

In the meantime, I used the VW campervan as everyday transport.

A campervan is viable providing you are aware of the limitations.

Robbo - 2017-04-05 2:10 PM

Robbo - 2017-04-05 12:03 PM

Following on about MH showers:

It is worth noting that showering in a MH does require a certain amount of frugality. The boiler contains only about 12litres of hot water. Most pumps deliver at 7litres per minute. So, 4 minutes max with 50:50 hot/cold or one minute per person (assuming 4 persons).

To overcome this, many experienced MH users adopt the "sailor method" when showering to reduce water usage. Initially wet the body and turn off the shower. Soap the body. Turn the shower back on again and rinse off.

This method may not appeal to those used to luxuriating under a shower for minutes on end. Best to be warned, especially if you are the last person to use the (cold) shower !!!

. I started to wonder where you were going with that :D Anyway, moving on. Have you considered having a van built for you to your spec. There are plenty of UK companies or individual who will do an excellent conversion for you at a price.

Archived