2017 Ford transit mk8 Issues

andy mccord

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry to read about all these problems with the mk8 transit.as i blogged before,mine has had none of these issues,4.500mls now and all o.k. adblue warning on dash still gives 1400 mls to refill time,not blogged to be smug,but to wonder why my experience is the opposite of others.i do agree that sixth gear is hard to hold but not a game changer,as fifth is pretty flexible.been on the side of the road.and know what a pain in the ass it is!

• 2 months later...

:-(

Ford Mk8 Transit Roller Team picked it up new Sept 2017

After 100 miles and 2 days it came up with service required and went into limp home mode but it went away. So I thought its just a glitch.

Second time out I found it wasn't a glitch coming up with service required and going into limp home mode when under load in 5th or 6th. All the time!

Ford Tonbridge replaced no 2 injector it appears to be ok now. I have only tested it out for 45 mins but fingers crossed.

If in Nov you see me sat by the side of the road in France crying you will know it has gone wrong again.

• 3 months later...

In case anyone is interested this is the sorry tale of our NEW Chausson 530 Welcome on a 2017 Transit platform :

Sorry for the length of the post!

26th May 2017 - Picked up motorhome from Lowdhams in Huddersfield

26th May 2017 - fuel topped up and within 10-15 minutes got ‘Service Required’ message, which then disappeared and reappears 10-20 mins later

No further problems until 17/18 June 2017 on journey to Pickering in N. Yorkshire - same problem after topping up. Reported to Lowdhams. They suggested I contact the Ford Dealer in Scarborough and get the vehicle checked out

19th June - booked in at Ford in Scarborough - they checked the vehicle over and said that apart from a ‘Low Fuel Pressure’ fault code, there were no others and in their view it could have been due to refilling into a new tank which may have had some dirt in it.

No further problems until now.

Sometime in December, logged onto the Ford ETIS database and found that there was an Outstanding Field Service Action of ‘17B24 - FUEL INJECTOR CORROSION’

As we had booked to go abroad in April, I decided than rather than wait for the vehicle to be recalled or breakdown, I would get it checked at the nearest Ford Transit Centre in Warrington - (TrustFord Warrington Car and Transit Centre).

Vehicle was booked in on January 3rd 2018 and checks revealed that all 4 injectors needed replacing. Vehicle was booked to go into the workshop on 10th Jan 2018. I was also told at this time that “we have never done one of these before”

10th Jan 2018 took vehicle in as arranged only to be told all parts had NOT arrived and there was no date as to when the missing part would be available. Left it for them to contact me when parts arrived

16th Jan 2018 received call to say parts arrived - vehicle booked in to workshop at TrustFord, for injector replacement on 23rd Jan

23rd Jan took vehicle in and left it with them advising them that if they needed it, it could stay until the 24th. Again I was also told that “we have never done one of these before”

Around 4.00pm on the 23rd received call from TrustFord to say vehicle would not be ready until 24th

24th - called TrustFord at around 4.00pm to ask for update, to be told that they had had some difficulties but all the work had been completed and it was awaiting road test. Agreed I would pick it up the following day (25th)

25th - picked vehicle up and started drive home (about 15 miles). All appeared and felt normal until after about 12 miles, having stopped at traffic lights, the engine started to misfire and strong smell of diesel fuel noticed.

Managed to drive a couple more miles at snails pace and get it off the road and onto a car park. Switched off, tried to restart - no success.

Called TrustFord and they advised to call Ford Roadside assist

30 mins later AA arrived, took long hard look at engine around injector area and concluded injectors were faulty! As vehicle was over 2 tonne they had to arrange for breakdown truck.

Recovery vehicle arrived about 19.30 and took vehicle into storage for delivery following day(26th). Advised TrustFord to that effect.

I'm now wondering what my rights are in possibly rejecting the vehicle as being unfit for purpose. Thoughts anyone?

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Keith.

Obviously it is infuriating when this sort of thing happens with a new vehicle, but it might be best to see what TrustFord Warrington have to say before going down the rejection route.

It may be that the AA technician’s diagnosis is correct that the replacement injectors are faulty, though it has to be said that this would be a mite odd.

As TrustFord emphasised to you that they had “never done one of these before” and later told you that they " had had some difficulties” carrying out the work, it has to be asked whether the problem you encountered on 25 January was due to the replacement injectors being faulty or was the result of what TrustFord had done. If it transpires that TrustFord's actions caused the problem, I’m not sure if you’d be in a viable position to reject the vehicle as being ‘unfit for purpose’.

Having said that, if you really want to reject the motorhome, I think you’ll need to immediately stop TrustFord from working on the vehicle further, take the matter up with Trading Standards and tell Lowdhams what you are doing. Being a motorhome, rejection on an ‘unfit for purpose’ basis may be a lot more complicated than it would be for a car.

Keith keep your records on paper. The ford engine first stage is under warrantee for two years, or by a paid extension for three years up to five as is possible whit fiat. When buying a hymer now you will get it for free. Very important if you drive whit a comfort matic gear box. Back to topic on ford, chausson is not responsible for the ford engine. The same goes for the house builder final stage unless he did something which ford does not like.In Germany their are advocates to handle this for motorhomes. But this a ford problem. put them under pressure not fullfilling their obligations.Fitness for purpose lies whit ford. And the problem whit the euro 6 injectors on their new egine is not clarified yet'. I wll sew them a law suit.

Thanks for the reply David. We actually spoke to the CAB this morning to see where we stood and he has given us some good pointers. Firstly, Lowdhams (where we got the MoHo from) has to lodge a complaint with Ford and then we can follow it up with our complaint at Ford. Also, the dealer (or in this case the ones who replaced the injectors have 3 attempts to repair, and after that we get into serious arguments.

I have already notified Lowdhams and am going to e-mail the Service Manager at Trust Ford for a written statement as to what went on - I have a feeling that they did only a very, very short road test if at all.

Will keep updated as the sage continues!

i recently took my 2017 170 tranny in to have the injectors sorted and the dipstick replaced.i had to inform my local ford agent when the service light kept appearing.ONLY THEN...did they tell me there was a recall on this issue.not to inform owners is a serious issue and the only reason for this is to avoid a rush on the local ford agents.not good. 8o|

• 1 year later...

I am obliged to those who have pointed out the Transit Injector Problem on the new engines. I post this for information of others.

I have a 2018 Wellhouse Terrier 2 bought new from "Brakes of Ilminster" (Ford Dealership). The core vehicle was probably built by Ford at the end of 2017, it has the 2.0 130bhp Ecoblue engine.

From new I had persistent problems with low torque and seemingly ad hoc going into "limp mode" until it had cleared its throat, it would not pull 6th gear at anything below 60mph.

After research on this and other forums and after talking to Wellhouse it went back to Brakes for diagnosis, they immediately said it needed ALL 4 Injectors changing. It is a known fault but not all engines are apparently affected.

Brakes later changed all 4 injectors ( I waited a week or so for the injectors to come in and Ford approval).

I have done over 1000 miles since they were changed, with no recurrence. The vehicle pulls better from low speeds, has more torque, fuel consumption has improved by over 10mpg and 6th is now a useable gear. I am now happy with the vehicle and with Brakes. TheIr workshop tells me THE PART NUMBER OF THE REPLACEMENT INJECTORS IS NOT AS ORIGINALLY FITTED.

The Wellhouse Conversion is I add, excellent and rattle free

David

Archived