2017 Ford transit mk8 Issues

andy mccord

I’m posting this thread to try to get an understanding how big of a problem there is out there for the issue I am experiencing, My 2017 MK8 transit Benimar is

About to go in for the 3rd time in 3o days to evans halshaw preston, The problem it is going in for is the service light keeps coming on

And on one occasion it has gone into limp mode. I am also aware of 3 others in total from marquis Preston having the same issue, along with

A couple at other branches, I was told originally it was a faulty dipstick and an ECU software upgrade that was needed, this turned out to be totally ineffective

As the light came on within 2 miles from ford’s garage, marquis have told me that a customer from wales who had a similar issue, had his injectors changed and this appears to

Have solved the problem, marquis are putting pressure on ford Preston, re the injectors, and they have agreed to change them, but alas they are on back order

Which makes me think that there appears to be a large demand for these modified injectors, so anyone else having this issue and do you have anything to add?.

Regards

Andy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Chausson has just come out of a Ford dealer this morning - 2 days short of 4 weeks after it went in. The limp mode / service required message problem showed up on my way home, with 10 miles on the clock. After speaking to the Ford Help line, I took it down to my local dealer the same afternoon. The fault was not present when the diagnostics unit was attached, but it had logged a "low fuel pressure" fault. I was informed that there was a recall outstanding for "engine noise". The van was booked in for the following week for the recall & I drove 70 miles each way the next day to have a towbar fitted - the limp mode fault occured with monotonous regularity during the journeys.

All the parts had not arrived for the recall when I dropped the van off. I expected that the running fault would be investigated while the recall parts were on the way but, according to the technician who did the work, Ford insisted he did the recall first. The recall is related to an idler gear in the cam drive BTW. When the van was up & running again, it was taken for a run with the diagnostics unit attached & the limp mode fault was experienced. The system logged the faults as "injectors 2, 3 & 4 shorted" - which, apparently, they were not. Ford confirmed to the technician that they had seen this before & that replacement of all 4 injectors had cured it in other cases - the logged faults did not accurately describe the fault, which was said to be "contaminated injectors". When a warranty claim for the injectors was placed, the items were "No stock, on backorder - no ETA".

My MH dealer contacted Chausson, who in turn contacted Ford France & Ford France arranged for the injectors to be shipped from Cologne. This took 6 days, apparently via 2 distribution hubs. Last week when I called in to the Ford dealer for an update, there was another Chausson in that I was told had the same problem.

So you are not alone & I suspect that there will be a lot of vehicles affected. I know my van went through Chausson late November / early December last year & was delivered just before Xmas to the UK dealer. The Euro 6 vans had only been available since August-ish ? At a guess, the chassis would be delivered directly from Ford to Chausson on a "just in time" basis, so my chassis was probably built in November - if all the Euro 6 vans affected are from the start of production until November (at the soonest) before the issue was raised, then that is a potentially a lot of vehicles.

This is not a good situation & it has rather taken the shine off the new van. My MH dealer has been supportive & has tried all he could to help, but he is not Ford. The Ford dealer service people have been pleasant, but seem constrained by an unresponsive system at Ford UK. I am sure all concerned are as fed up with me pestering them as I am of having to pester them !

Hopefully now I can get on with using the van.

Nigel B

Nigel

many thanks for your reply, my ford has also had the Idler work done, but TBH I havent even bothered listening to it as Im that fed up with the constant service light, I plan to let them change the injectors and if it doesnt work then I will reject the van and go back to another chassis, I have emailed ford again today for an update on the situation.

Regards

Andy

What was the problem whit the injectors? Who made them? Has it any thing to do whit their brand new euro 6 engine ? It is still called 2.2 l i4 duratorque and still assembled in dagenham and ford otosan . Since the transit is only made in turkey your engine will be also assembled there. They must have ran test runs whit this new engine. Look at the latest ford fact sheet pdf for Europe to find the right persons and their e -mails. Or go to Jim Farley ford of Europe leadership Team. This is very bad having no injectors available for our motor homes ford engines.

Hi Andy,

No, I can't confirm all is OK now. The van was picked up this morning on my behalf by the MH dealership, who have taken it back to their premises to sort some habitation issues. They are about 25 miles from me (and I am around 3 miles from the Ford dealer) and, as I have not heard to the contrary, I assume that it got back without issues (the Tracker says the van is currently on their site). If that is the case, it will be a major improvement ! I won't get to drive it far before Easter to see for myself how it "should" drive.

Monique - the Euro 6 engine is the 2 litre Ecoblue, as has been stated by Andy. It is an all new engine that has no relationship with the old 2.2 Durotorque (according to the Ford publicity). As far as I am aware, the Ecoblue engine is still made in Dagenham, with the van being assembled in Turkey. As Ford do not appear to have stopped production at either Dagenham or Turkey, I assume that sufficient quantities of new injectors are available for the production of new engines / vehicles. But there is a definate problem getting replacements for faulty or "contaminated" injectors on customer vehicles in a reasonable timeframe.

I did consider going down the rejection & refund route but, after a lot of looking, found very little available at this stage that met our requirements for size, weight, payload, layout & engine options. All would have involved considerable extra outlay & non would have fully met our criteria - hence deciding to wait while Ford sorted themselves out. Very much a case of finding myself between a rock and a hard place !

Nigel B

Had the same problem with my 2017 - 2.0 transit on a Chausson about 50mls from new service light came on tolk it to the local dealer no. two injector faulty had it replaced no problem since 1000 most now on the clock keeping everything crossed Edd

i have a new 2017 chausson on a ford.have done approx 400 miles and all seems o.k.it seems that the problem is with the 130 unit according to what i read,and perhaps having the 170 unit the problem does not apply.can anyone confirm this? mine is the mk8 with adblue

tazdog6007 - 2017-04-08 7:35 PM

i have a new 2017 chausson on a ford.have done approx 400 miles and all seems o.k.it seems that the problem is with the 130 unit according to what i read,and perhaps having the 170 unit the problem does not apply.can anyone confirm this? mine is the mk8 with adblue

Mine is a 2017 170 PS Euro 6 with Adblue & the problem first appeared with 10 miles on the clock. 4 replacement injectors seems (at the moment) to have cured it. As far as I am aware, all the Chaussons on the Ford chassis have the 170 option specified - I had no choice when I ordered.

Nigel B

tazdog6007 - 2017-04-08 7:35 PM

My 2017 Chausson is the 170 unit and I only got 50mls before it went off cels got no two injector replaced and all ok now

It's possible that Adblue is the cause. Given the time lapse from chassis build to sale of the motorhome, it could be the Adblue has crystallised and fouled up the injectors. Iveco tell you not to leave their Adblue vans in full sun for long periods to avoid this happening. Changing the injectors and Adblue should solve the problem.

Just spoke to a neighbour who works in a Ford dealership. He says an alternative cause is that for reasons he doesn't know, and he's not sure whether Ford knows, the injectors over fuel, the AdBlue then cannot cope, the vehicle sensors pick up the problem [emissions related?] and switch to limp mode. However, he has never heard of this happening in the later models and wonders whether these motorhomes are early builds of Euro 6. He confirms they have been changing the injectors and it seems to work.

Brock - 2017-04-12 6:19 PM

It's possible that Adblue is the cause. Given the time lapse from chassis build to sale of the motorhome, it could be the Adblue has crystallised and fouled up the injectors. Iveco tell you not to leave their Adblue vans in full sun for long periods to avoid this happening. Changing the injectors and Adblue should solve the problem.

The Adblue doesn't come anywhere near the fuel injectors in the cylinder head that are being changed - it is injected into the catalytic converter in the exhaust system, way downstream of the diesel injectors.

Nigel B

OK A question for clarification, which 'Injector' are you all talking about? Is it one (or more) of the Diesel injectors or is it the AdBlue injector?

Reading the Transit forum linked to in post 2 I note all those who have had repairs made quote that only one injector was initially replaced, hence my question.

Keith.

PS Crossed posts with Nigel, and yes AdBlue is injected into the exhaust downstream of the engine and turbo.

All 4 fuel injectors changed on mine - no mention of the Adblue system at all during the time the van was with the dealer. Faults logged by the ECU (that they told me about) were "low fuel pressure" & "Injectors 2, 3 & 4 short circuit". The technician I spoke to who investigated the fault told me that Ford told him to change all 4 injectors.

Ford seemed to have been telling different dealers to do different things earlier - maybe now they have a better idea of what the problem is and, rather than changing the injectors piecemeal as originally seems to have been suggested are now recommending changing them as a set ?

I'll find out over the long weekend whether mine is "fixed" - seems to have performed without fault for 60 - 70 miles since it was picked up from the dealer after repair.

Nigel B

Brock - 2017-04-12 6:19 PM

Following on from Brocks observation that Adblue can deteriorate with age, well so does Diesel Fuel.

Modern Diesel formulations, especially the low Sulphur versions can deteriorate much more quickly than they used to.

I guess a Motorhome Build from deliver of the Drivable chassis to sale of the finished Motorhome in the UK can take quite a while, is that a factor?

Any 'Diesel Bug' or Fuel degradation that does develop, even to a minor degree, is likely to impact the Injectors far more than any other part of the fuel system?

Are the Ford Euro 6 Injector spray holes smaller than have been rolled out previously?

Is it going to be more of an issue with Fiat Euro 6 in the future if they have finer spray openings than did Euro 5?

I know that is pure speculation without knowing more, but if that is just a vague possibility, are there simple steps that can be taken to help mitigate the potential issues without any real expense?

Maybe like filling the tank to the brim with Diesel ASAP after leaving the Dealer to dilute the potentially contaminated fuel?.

Putting in an 'anti Diesel Bug' additive with that first tank full? Maybe even asking the Dealer to add some Marine 16 (£9 a bottle) to the tank as part of the PDI ?

Explanation of the issue and 12 different treatments tested here : http://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/12-diesel-bug-treatments-tested-43353 )

The Article shows how even Fuel without Diesel Bug will be improved after treatment as some disperse the Water that is likely to be present.

It might be a complete Red Herring, but if it doesn't take much effort to try some simple steps, then the hassle it saves might be worth the gamble?

Archived