First motorhome purchase..HELP

petenbev

Brock, I think that's good advice but really only a weighbridge certificate will confirm what the dealer or brochure says us the actual payload. Petenbev will need to remember, whatever the figure they get, is that on a new vehicle there will be no 'extras' like awning, bike rack etc. The payload is already taking a hit.

I agree that Chausson are making a good product these days and we loved ours but, as I describe above, there were issues in several areas that caused us considerable concern until we had resolved them. Some, like the diesel heating in preference to gas, we were unable to resolve and had to love with. As we often camp without hookup the diesel heating became less attractive due to the amount of 12v power needed to start it up.

But these are not criticisms of the vehicle just our own observations on how we found the 717GA which is a comparable vehicle. Hopefully, it will give them some areas to focus on whilst looking at the 718.

David

mgnbuk - 2017-04-11 6:03 PM

" including "maximum reserve of water in circulation" whatever that means "

Full fresh water tank

Nigel B

I thought it referred to the amount of residual water left in the system(s) once the main tanks were drained.

........so is your response the definitive answer.

Cheers,

Andrew

This was posted in March-17 by a member of the Motorhome Fun Forum. If anything it's just good to have this info in the back pocket ;-)

FYI:

"I'm aware of at least one member who bought a new Chausson with (according to the manufacturer) a reasonable payload. On checking at the weighbridge he found that with half a tank of water and two passengers he was already slightly over the plated limit. Subsequent enquiries revealed that Chausson had used the wrong spec chassis unit. After a battle he got a full refund and an apology but AFAIK Chausson never recalled any other vans as a result of the incident so check yours now just in case. I wonder how many other M/Hs there are out there with inaccurate weight plates"

Bop - 2017-04-11 7:23 PM

mgnbuk - 2017-04-11 6:03 PM

" including "maximum reserve of water in circulation" whatever that means "

Full fresh water tank

Nigel B

I thought it referred to the amount of residual water left in the system(s) once the main tanks were drained.

........so is your response the definitive answer.

Cheers,

Andrew

That is what I was told before I bought my Welcome 610. The dealer did make a point of saying that - unlike Hymer - Chausson MIRO included a full tank of fresh water.

The Chausson Owners Manual also makes reference to staying under the plated weight if a lot of "stuff" is carried by reducing the amount of fresh water that you travel with. A "20 litre" valve is provided to conveniently drain down to that amount if required.

Regards,

Nigel B

Hi Nigel,

I'm reading 'the other forum' at the moment and there is one specific Chausson thread that stipulates 30-litres for the purpose of the Chausson MIRO calculation.

There's also a thread (300-posts long) which talks about one of the members who took delivery of a Chausson 728 on the 1st March 2017. The van had a dealer specified 3.5T MTPLM and a MIRO of 3,080kg meaning a total available payload of 420kg. Yeah right!!

He took it to a weighbridge on the 2nd March with 3/4 fuel, full water and no other items or passengers, only to find that the weight totalled 3,460kg. (He weighs 62kg so in theory he should gain 13kg of extra payload allowance as he's under the 75kg figure for the MIRO calculation). His available payload was 60kg and since his wife weighed 62kg then her presence would have tipped him over the 3.5T limit.

He successfully rejected the vehicle 3-days later.

The 718 is similar I think in tech terms to the 728 so I think the OP should tread carefully and ask for some figures up front.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I have read that saga. I don't know where "30 litres" comes from (maybe the "20 litre" valve operated + 10 litres in the water heater ?), but it isn't from the 2017 Chausson brochure, who's wording (and my dealer's interpretation of that wording) have been stated.

I weighed my 610 on Sunday and, with everything aboard that we would usually take (minus normal clothes and fresh food in the fridge), with all tanks topped off and was exactly on 3500 kg (1530 front, 1970 rear - both well under maximum) at the West Yorks Trading Standards drive-over a weighbridge at Gildersome. So I will be travelling with half a tank of water to get some clothes aboard - though 60 litres will still do me 3 days "off grid", so no real hardship there. My only "extras" are a towbar & a 120w solar panel - the 3kg TV was payload neutral by removing the "pallet" from the shower tray (5kg for that !).

The Welcome 610 is 6.7m & is rated as a 4 berth - to use it with 4 people would mean not carrying bikes (2 electric bikes on an Atera towbar rack is over 65kg), having minimal outdoor equipment & travelling with minimal or no water - or uprating. The rear axle can go to 2250 (can't recall the exact front limit but do recall the maximum combined was over 3850kg, so probably 1650kg ), so the Ford chassis looks like it could handle enough more to be viable for 4 if suitably registered. Assuming you have the licence & are prepared for the limitations of going PHG, that is.

I agree with you that extreme care is called for if looking at larger vans with more than 2 berths, particularly those with layouts that put a lot of storage well to the rear of the rear axle.

Regards,

Nigel B

They look like nice vans Nigel so you must be happy with your purchase.

Our local motorhome dealer sells the Chausson brand but when we came to buy a MH in Sep-16 we found that all of the Chausson models had been sold bar one (it's still for sale BTW) so we didn't get a chance to see the range in the flesh. He was left with ten Autotrails on his forecourt hence the reason why we purchased one of them.

Since then I've seen the new MY17 Chausson range and the ones I've seen have been good looking bits of kit :-)

They certainly look nice on the road.

All the best,

Andrew

I'm seeing now why it takes such a long time to find a suitable motorhome for people,pity there isn't a a dealer with a weighbridge on site,I'm ok to drive a bigger than 3500kg but my father in law is nearly 70 and its a shared venture,The dogs aren't too big,a rottie and a husky,but wild camping is something we'll definitely do,We naively dreamed of finding and purchasing one today but thanks to you lot I now see the research goes a lot deeper than swivel captain chairs and a big garage lol.We're going to lowdhams in a min and I feel well armed and slightly sympathetic for the salesman with 5 of us bombarding him.Im tempted to print all this post off and go through it step by step with him

Thank you so much again.

Have a good day Pete and I hope all goes well mate.

Incidentally we have two rescue Rotti's (Zena and Roman) and they weigh just short of 100kg according to the vet.

The best thing about having big dogs (I suspect) is if you find that your rear axle weight has been exceeded then you simply shout "here" and you get 100kg quickly moved from the rear axle to the front :D

All the best,

Andrew

petenbev - 2017-04-12 9:06 AM

I'm seeing now why it takes such a long time to find a suitable motorhome for people,pity there isn't a a dealer with a weighbridge on site,I'm ok to drive a bigger than 3500kg but my father in law is nearly 70 and its a shared venture,The dogs aren't too big,a rottie and a husky,but wild camping is something we'll definitely do,We naively dreamed of finding and purchasing one today but thanks to you lot I now see the research goes a lot deeper than swivel captain chairs and a big garage lol.We're going to lowdhams in a min and I feel well armed and slightly sympathetic for the salesman with 5 of us bombarding him.Im tempted to print all this post off and go through it step by step with him

Thank you so much again.

So how did your viewing and first impressions of the Chausson go petenbev? Is it something you feel could meet your requirements or does the search continue?

David

Well we've done it,we were well armed with everyones advice,full of great information,planned our day to visit several dealers in the area.And we bought a bessacarr 454 from brownhills even though we weren't even going to go to them but thought we'd give it a quick look,and we bought a new one,even though we were determined and advised to get an older one,But we're very excited and our planning our first trips for when we collect it on the 11th of May.eeeek!!

That's great - first trip though load it as if you were doing a proper trip with all of you and your kit on board then take it to the nearest weighbridge. Weigh both axles individually (together this will give you the gross weight too) just to make sure it does what you need - the brochure weights and sales staff advice can, how can I say - be slightly optimistic sometimes.

Good luck when you get it and enjoy the freedom it brings.

David

Thanks David,I've googled the nearest weighbridge its not too far so we'll definitely weigh it before setting off,can't wait to get out n about now.Its a bit of a shock looking at the ferry prices to Ireland though we'll have to start spending on our Tesco credit card.

Many congrats Pete. It's nice to have something new eh B-) Does the 454 come in two formats; standard or lounge - which one did you opt for?

The next big decision is what polish to use to help keep your pride and joy all shiney and new.

Good luck ,

Andrew

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-04-20 2:53 PM

And how are you draining easy to 20? In a chausson? Please advice exactly how you are doing that. What a waste of clean water.

Hi Monique,

I can't speak for all 2017 Chaussons, but the Welcome 610 has a two position valve next to the water tank - with the valve handle horizontal, the full tank capacity is available. With the handle vertical, the tank is drained until only 20 litres remains. This not the main tank drain - to completely empty the tank, a stop end has to be removed from the (separate) drain pipe under the van.

Yes, it is a waste of clean water to drain before travelling - but only if you fill with more than you require for the stay. From experience, I know we use around 20 litres a day & one of my "to do" jobs is to mark the tank levels in 20 litre increments. The end of the tank is visible while filling, so it should be possible to put enough in at the start of a stay such that not much would require draining before travelling.

Nigel B

mgnbuk - 2017-04-21 10:12 AM

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-04-20 2:53 PM

And how are you draining easy to 20? In a chausson? Please advice exactly how you are doing that. What a waste of clean water.

Hi Monique,

I can't speak for all 2017 Chaussons, but the Welcome 610 has a two position valve next to the water tank - with the valve handle horizontal, the full tank capacity is available. With the handle vertical, the tank is drained until only 20 litres remains. This not the main tank drain - to completely empty the tank, a stop end has to be removed from the (separate) drain pipe under the van.

Yes, it is a waste of clean water to drain before travelling - but only if you fill with more than you require for the stay. From experience, I know we use around 20 litres a day & one of my "to do" jobs is to mark the tank levels in 20 litre increments. The end of the tank is visible while filling, so it should be possible to put enough in at the start of a stay such that not much would require draining before travelling.

Nigel B

If you have acess to tank, you could put a measure of water in by using a large water bottle (the type you but in supermarkets). You would then know hiw much you have in tank. we find these useful to have on board , when a tap is not easy to access

PJay

Archived