UK breakdown cover

david lloyd

It's insurance renewal time again and, for a variety of reasons, I am thinking of changing my present insurer who currently provides motorhome, house, contents and travel insurance. The alternative supplier does all of this at a competitive price and with a few better options like length of European trip and unoccupancy. However, the present insurers motorhome cover includes full UK and European breakdown cover (as an optional e tea) whereas the alternative option includes European cover for the duration of the trip. That leaves me with no UK breakdown cover unless I purchase it separately.

The Caravan and Motorhome Club offer their Mayday service at a reasonable £76 (ish) but I went on the RAC site and it was something outrageous like £250! The option in our present policy for full UK and European cover is only £60.50 on top of the insurance premium - and its with RAC!

Does anyone recommend a good, reliable UK breakdown policy?

David

Not a UK Company but we have been with ADAC for a few years now -  it's about €114.50 (family cover) and covers all vehicles registered in your name and any vehicle you are in. 

Plus the policy has loads of other benefits.

Specifically covers motorhomes above 3500kg up to 7.5 tonnes and up to 3.2 metres height.

Never had to use it but it's a good package with good feedback.

Having read many, many threads on this topic, I have concluded that breakdown cover which is included in vehicle insurance or similar (i.e. bank) is quite limited and, when farmed out to a local contractor, can leave you sorting out the resultant confusion when they send the wrong sized recovery vehicle, or take you to an unsuitable/overly expensive garage. I prefer to separate breakdown cover out specifically and to remove as much risk as possible from overseas cover. For that I use C&CC Mayday for the UK, which I cannot fault and which can cover all your vehicles, not just the MH. For the continent I use CC Red Pennant because they will talk directly to any problem you may encounter as well as providing one of the most comprehensive and least excluding travel insurances. ADAC are often quoted and I have no experience of them but, there have been rumours of their tendency to dump persistent UK claimants and that they are coming under pressure from the AA for their presence in the UK market. Brexit may also have some effect on this in the future?

I use Britannia Rescue. Called them out twice over the years for breakdowns on my drive. Turned up quickly [the local fitter is a mile away!) and on each occasion spent a couple of hours getting me fit for the road. Never used them on the highway.

I get a discount in the rate for being a member of the CSMA [now called Boundless I think].

crocs - 2017-04-11 11:31 AM

I assume your bank account doesn't cover it?

Robert,

I have never used this type of breakdown attached to the bank account - usually have to pay a monthly fee for the account and many report problems when it comes to call outs to Motorhomes.

WhiteVanMan,

It is the Red Pennant I am thinking of moving to and insurance for the motorhome with C&MC. I do think they offer a good service and reports I have seen from people who have had the need to use it are akways favourable. The Mayday service offered by C&MC also seems a better price too so this may be the answer.

Brock,

May just check Britannia out.

Thanks to all,

David

WhiteVanMan,It is the Red Pennant I am thinking of moving to and insurance for the motorhome with C&MC. I do think they offer a good service and reports I have seen from people who have had the need to use it are akways favourable. The Mayday service offered by C&MC also seems a better price too so this may be the answer.Brock,May just check Britannia out.Thanks to all,David

Yes, I meant C&MC for Mayday! Our MH Insurance though is with C&CC and, seems as comprehensive as any......but cheaper. Depends where you live etc., etc..

Have made the decision now and gone with C&MC insurance with their Mayday UK roadside and recovery which is provided by Green Flag. I hope to renew the house/contents with them next month at a competitive rate and then use their Travel Insurance for our winter trip to Spain.

All up it comes to the same amount as our present policies but I think better cover in many respects.

Davud

Archived