Motorhome Road Tax

potus4388

I have purchased a new motor home and have received the paperwork which is somewhat confusing:

The V5 classes it as PLG vehicle, however, the COC classes it as an M1 special purchase vehicle, even though thr firsr year tax was £235, it was taxed March 1st 2017, I am a little confused as to what the situation is going forward, will the tax remain at this rate ?

I w ill be grateful for any comments.

Thank you.

John

...both details are (probably) correct.

A motorcaravan is designated as a "special purpose M1" vehicle, and, if it has a MAM (GVW) of no greater than 3500kg (which is where the "probably" comes in), in the UK it will be taxed in Tax Class 11 as a "Private Light Goods Vehicle".

The £235 is correct for this class at the point it was taxed, but it increased to £245 on the 1st of April.

Unless/until the Chancellor of the Exchequer changes the rules, TC11/PLG will continue to pertain (with any increases, of course).

Thank you very much indeed for explaining this, I now feel more confident I am up to speed and understand the system. It seems that, barring any future changes, it will stay at the current level going forward.

I appreciate all the advice.

Archived