Thud on brakes

Dave in Kendal

Hi

I have a Jan 2006 Hymer Starline 655 based on a Mercedes Sprinter on the 316 chassis. I have recently developed a problem with the brakes. Even though they do still work (though they have always felt like they needed to be pumped at least once to be effective) they have recently developed a chunk felt through the pedal when braking slowly or coming to a halt. This does not happen under hard braking. I took it into the local commercial garage and they found that one of the rear wheel bearings had failed and this was replaced under warranty as they had been renewed 4 months ago when I had new seals re-done on the rear differential as they were leaking. However they are a bit baffled - there is nothing showing on the diagnostic computer, the brake pedal shows no wear, the brake discs are only 50% worn and there is not a lot of corrosion on the brake discs so the garage are scratching their heads a bit. I was wondering if anyone on the forum had also experienced this problem with this model and if so were they able to remedy it? Thanks in advance

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a Fiat Scudo. I found it quite quickly though. I had a look at the front caliper bolts and saw that one was missing!

It sounds like a mechanical fault, so why would they expect to see something on their diagnostic machine? Can mechanics at main dealers not actually look at anything any more?

They need to check the calipers, the pads and ball joints, then suspension and .........

My guess is as good as yours as to wether mechanics can look. When I earned a living as one I looked and I still have a driving license which indicates I can still look. If you are trying to help answer the question then being obnoxious about somebody else trying to help is not working. Anyway that aside, you have a good point and would hope that a visual check would have been carried out and if nothing was found then the brake system tested for a partly seized calliper which would show up on a brake test and possible give the effect described. Just trying to help

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the replies. I took it into my local commercial garage this week. They checked out the brakes and suspension members and all looked to be ok. The pedal bushes are ok too. As a last resort they suggested renewing the ABS sensors on all 4 wheels, (which in fairness other people had suggested may be at fault) but after renewing them the problem still persists so I am a lot poorer with still no solution in sight. I will follow up the master cylinder side or maybe just live with the problem as the brakes work properly apart from the chunk noise when coming to a halt.

Archived