Buying Used MH Private - potential problems?

sniffy

After being absent from the MH fraternity for 7 years, I'm looking to get back in. This time, it'll have to be secondhand. I've seen a few likely looking vans on offer as private sales. They don't seem hugely cheaper than Trader-sold vans for the same vehicle but the mileages are a lot less so I'm interested.

So, the question is, what to look out for in particular and I'm thinking of paperwork as much as the condition of the vehicle. How do you check it's not been stolen or not yet paid for - that kind of thing. And anything else, including what to look out for condition-wise, would be helpful.

Thanks

sniffy

DVLA can help to a point Mot etc and there are various web sites to check Stolen, finance etc and the AA RAC and others to give it a going over for any problems and pay on collection ask if it has any problems. Buying private is generally sold as seen as long as it is fit for purpose. Let's face it some dealers don't even give that assurance. Just because it's a private sale don't let that put you off and I always put in an offer that I know won't be excepted and a personal preference I find cash can help if your ok carrying it. And don't rush, these things are easier to buy than sell.

Try to make certain that you view the van at the seller's home, and that the seller lives at the address where the van will be viewed. There have been cases of stolen vans being sold off someone's drive while they were away on holiday!

Make sure the seller has, and shows you, the log book, and ideally all manuals and a full service record.

Check the ages of all tyres, and budget/haggle accordingly if any are over 5 years old, and definitely if all are over 7 years old.

Don't get too hung up on low mileage. Vans that do much less than an average of 6,000 miles per year are likely to present problems caused by excessive standing around - unless stored in a well ventilated garage/barn. These vehicles are built for very high mileages and continual use. Brakes especially suffer from corrosion when they stand - not just the discs, but also the part ferrous compound brake pads, which begin to break up due to rusting.

If there is any residual warranty on the van (most likely a water ingress warranty, many of which are 6 years, some 10), make sure that the necessary periodic inspections have been carried out by persons authorised to do so, and at the times stipulated, by the motorhome manufacturer.

MidLifeCrisis - 2017-04-25 8:45 AM

I've just bought privately and found the website Cazana very useful for giving full details of all MOTs for free.

I had someone tell me they'd never had any issues with their van, only to find out that it had major corrosion.

Hi

Glad to see you have got your van. What did you buy?

How are your plans going? Hope you get away soon,

PJay

If you are not 100% sure you can spot every fault in the vehicle, where seemingly small ones can be expensive mistakes, then get it professionally checked.

Buying privately this way doesn't need to be any riskier than a 'Dealer buy' yet can save a lot of money. It also has the added advantage of you being able to talk to the previous owner and find out how they used it.

We looked at a Hymer Camp/Fiat for a customer, R.D, this morning who had clearly been taken advantage of by the Dealer. While the vehicle was quite old, it was not cheap. There were several (expensive) electrical issues, signs of serious engine wear, 8 advisories on the MOT in relation to chassis corrosion, etc.

This isn't something we normally do, but went out to fix an electrical issue and it became clear the owner was struggling with the scale of the issues he had on his recent purchase on it's first outing : Fridge, Gas, Step, etc all none functioning.

The engine Oil was like syrup and the oil level was a long way down, close to the minimum mark. Engine smoked badly, etc So we tried to advise.

In my opinion not fit for purpose.

So buying from a Dealer isn't always a guarantee of a good vehicle, but the better Dealers are worth paying a premium for. Just hard to spot which is which sometimes.

The after market 'Insurance' warranties, are worth investigating.

aandncaravan - 2017-04-25 11:09 PM

We looked at a Hymer Camp/Fiat for a customer, R.D, this morning who had clearly been taken advantage of by the Dealer. While the vehicle was quite old, it was not cheap. There were several (expensive) electrical issues, signs of serious engine wear, 8 advisories on the MOT in relation to chassis corrosion, etc.

This isn't something we normally do, but went out to fix an electrical issue and it became clear the owner was struggling with the scale of the issues he had on his recent purchase on it's first outing : Fridge, Gas, Step, etc all none functioning.

The engine Oil was like syrup and the oil level was a long way down, close to the minimum mark. Engine smoked badly, etc So we tried to advise.

In my opinion not fit for purpose.

Crickey, that's terrible. It sounds as if it's only fit for the scrappies from your description of the faults.

Did the owner not have any idea of what he was buying. It sounds as if the dealer took advantage of a vulnerable person. Very sad indeed.

That being said, we can't be too critical as just think of the number of newbies that buy a new MH from a dealer without knowing the first thing about what they are buying. I was one of those guys but I now have a staple diet of 2-hours of various motorhome forums per day.

:D

Yes it really was that bad, but did have good tyres!!

He had never even had a Caravan before let alone a Motorhome. Even sadder that he bought the vehicle so he could use it to chase work, not just around the UK, but Europe.

He faces spending thousands to get it reliable/usable.

We are in discussions with the Dealer on the Gentlemans behalf but so far no progress.

aandncaravan - 2017-04-26 1:47 PM

Yes it really was that bad, but did have good tyres!!

He had never even had a Caravan before let alone a Motorhome. Even sadder that he bought the vehicle so he could use it to chase work, not just around the UK, but Europe.

He faces spending thousands to get it reliable/usable.

We are in discussions with the Dealer on the Gentlemans behalf but so far no progress.

I'm sure you've already advised him to do this, but your client really should be talking to Trading Standards or Citizens Advice about suing for the return of all his money, plus his potential loss of earnings in using the vehicle. With whatever support you can give him on the technical issues, he should have a strong, and relatively straightforward, case.

Then, with his money returned, he could start looking for a sound vehicle, rather than having to wait for extensive repairs and then live with the (I suspect less than satisfactory) consequences.

I have told him I don't think it is fit for purpose, but all he asks is how much to fix.

The Motorhome does look unusually good inside so in his words, "I really like it and they are all around the same money".

He wasn't given any handover at all, probably because they wanted to avoid showing him just exactly what wasn't working.

I really don't think he wants to take it back for a refund, but fix it up. Even though I have pointed out the potential costs of a rebuilt engine, serious chassis corrosion, etc.

One of my worries is that the 8 Chassis corrosion 'Advisories' might be failures at an MOT station that didn't have a lot of work put their way by a big Dealer.

Nor can I believe the exhausts impression of the Flying Scotsman at full speed should have passed a 'proper' MOT.

I have therefore advised he gets an MOT done ASAP. If it gets a clean bill of health then he can ignore me, otherwise he has some evidence.

I can't do any more than I have except try and get the Dealer to sort out some of the problems.

I have phoned the Dealers again to day, but once again, not returned my calls.

We acted to help someone else recently who was being ignored by a Dealer and we put a few words on the website.

I feel another new page might be about to be written.

*-)

The above sounds, and is, poor service, but please can I balance that by pointing out that there are many good Dealers out there who genuinely look after customers. Returning to the point of this thread, they are still one of the safest ways of buying a Motorhome.

Guest pelmetman

Given what I've read in MMM for decades......... 1986 I think was the earliest copy :$ ........

Then I'm firmly of the opinion that buying privately is no more hazardous than using a dealer ;-) ........

There is an issue here regarding finance that's still to be paid on the vehicle. Dealers themselves are still getting caught out selling cars and later on the buyer getting letter from finance company to say vehicle has still got money owed on it. In this case the dealer has to settle what's owed but if it was a private sale there may be a problem. The issue is on original seller of the vehicle not mentioning the finance when he puts car in as a part exchange. It seems that this doesn't come up on hire purchase checks for some reason, as to say its still on hire purchase is a voluntarily thing. It sounded a bit stupid but goes on.

Can I just expand on Alan's post regarding "Dealers"

IMHO that should read "Motorhome Dealers" & exclude any Car Dealer who has just got one or two motorhomes on the forecourt. Car dealers will not have the same knowledge, resources, etc., & can be unaware of the potential problems.

Flicka you are right and I know exactly the type of company you are referring to.

However one of the best companies we have ever dealt with, multiple times since 2012, is Nick Whale Sportscars who have started selling Motorhomes.

The support they give to the customer seems to be amongst the best, as quite often they just refer the customer to us and they pay our bill either directly or through the warranty company.

So we see both sides of their 'business' as in how good the accounts are settling a bill (that really does tell you a lot about a company) how good are the technicians we talk to, the guys authorising the work, etc

Plus we see the Motorhome buyers when we fix the vehicle who not only seem to be full of praise for the company, but delighted how they handle an issue when things do go wrong.

That shows just how different Motorhome Sellers can be.

It is the same with some Private sellers who will do everything they can to conceal issues and some will treat you really well, like you are taking over the care of an old friend.

Archived