Brand new motorhome

petenbev

petenbev - - 2017-05-02 7:02 PMWe pick our new motorhome up in just over a week and I was wondering,after reading some contradictory reports,do you still have to run the new engine in or doesn't that apply with the new diesels?
Just being nosey :-)
What is it?
You pleased with it?
Do tell :-)

It's the Bessacarr 454,we liked it as soon as we saw it but I suppose only time will tell,it was a joint purchase with my father in law so we had a few added compromises as they'll have different holidays than us.I can't find many reviews or videos online about this model though,We collect it on the 11th from brownhills.How much is an average service on a Moho?

As I understand it modern engines do not require the same level of stringent run in regimes as of old but personally I would always treat a new vehicle carefully for the first few hundred miles. I definitely would not immediately clog it but would use the accelerator, brakes and gearbox gently to allow everything to bed in a bit as I still believe it pays in the long term. That does not mean crawling around as you still need to vary the revs and load on the engine to ensure even wear on moving parts.

The Fiat Ducati only requires services every two years but I have mine serviced every year even though the mileage is only about 3,000/ year as I like to have the oil and filter changed and have a mechanic give it a once over as a safety check if nothing else. I spent over £50k on the thing so a couple of hundred quid a year is not much to fork out for peace of mind and the longevity of my 'investment'.

As a five year apprenticed marine engineer, I am old enough to remember rear window signs in cars saying 'PLEASE PASS- RUNNING IN'

There was a very good reason for that!

Engineering tolerances were not as precise 50 years ago as they are today, which means it is no longer critical to pamper the engine for the first 1000 miles of its life, and then change the oil and oil filter to ensure any small metal particles are completely removed from the engine lubrication flow system.

So for what its worth, here is my advice and recommendations, which has stood me in good stead over many years of rally driving, which includes new engine builds and rebuilds of many, many Rally car engines, one of which, started life as a Ford 1600cc bored out to 1760cc, it ran trouble free for 16,000 miles through 27 different countries in 17days, starting in Wembley stadium and finishing in Mexico !!!

With all todays new engines, I strongly recommend the following for the first 1000 miles: DO NOT over rev the engine, I suggest never more than 5000 rpm, and more importantly, do not overload the engine, which means when possible use a lower gear, but watch the revs !

Finally, I then ALWAYS change the oil and oil filter at 1000 miles, I know the handbook will not tell you to do this, but think of this advice as an investment !! because then you can go out and floor it, with much peace of mind that you have just built in a lot of future trouble free engine miles.

P.S. If it's someone else's new car, ignore everything you have just read !!

RFC7

Changing oil filter and oil at 1000 miles for a motor home is out of the blue. Do it every year and do not forget the filter. We run on the average max 2000 rpm on main roads. We are not running whit Honda V- Tec engines. But whit simple Van engines . I suggest that you study your crank case ventilation system and come back.

Archived