Boxer Sliding Door Lock Adjustment

How do I make an adjustment to the handle mechanism for the sliding door? I see that there is a Bowden cable operated by the outer handle including the one inside as well. The handle when pulled is almost at the end of travel before it releases the mechanism. I have looked at UTube but no advice in their videos only showing installation of locks etc. It has got to be simple.

This link shows the door handle and cables for a 2006-onwards Ducato

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DUCATO-06-gt-SLIDING-DOOR-HANDLE-WITH-2-CABLES-9101CV-/331568605789

and I assume your Boxer-based 2009 Autocruise Pace has the same set up.

Bowden cables often have threaded adjusters where they connect to operating mechanisms, but it’s not easy to see if the cables in the photos have adjusters. If there is no adjustment (and it ought not to be too hard for you to decide if that’s the case) and the cables have stretched, the only realistic option will be to replace the cables.

Len,

You don't say what the symptoms of your problem are, and i don't know how old your vehicle is but historically, the main issues with the door release are incorrect alignment of the locking 'fingers' and pin at the top of the right hand side of the door (which often wear and require replacement) and on vehicles since 2002 there is a release cable at the bottom of the door where the lower guide rail is attached to the door. This cable can come adrift and while the locks disengage when the handle is pulled, this might not be releasing as it should but it normally only prevents the door from being closed when fully open.

Hope that helps but if not; please tell me more and i will see what i can do.

Nick

Actually; going further, The cables are not adjustable. On the rear of the handle, where the cables are attached, there should be a blue clip that retains the outer cable and ensures that everything is correctly tensioned. If this clip is broken or missing it can only be bought with a new handle. It might be that it is just unclipped from the handle or the cable and can be re-fitted.

My Boxer is late 2009 Auto Cruise Pace as Derek knows my M/H from previous discussions on here. After we took delivery (secondhand) I was experiencing difficulty in opening the door from outside. Pulling on the handle to release to no avail. The mechanic did not have a problem but I did. We left the M/H with them for couple of hours and came back and was told by the mechanic that the adjustment he had made was as far it would go. I could just about open it even then. I now feel that after 2 years the time has come to get it sorted. The amount of movement on the handle is being lost before it starts do do its job and then there is a click and further tugging the door is released.

All my handles are in the vertical plane.

The click is most likely the fingers being released at the top/rear of the door. This is good.

My earlier comment about blue clips and the like can be disregarded because that only applies to 2002 to 2006 vehicles. I have just had a look at one of these for the first time because i have had absolutely no problems with them since 2007 but it now appears that all of the control cables from the outer handle come with a new handle. My guess is that someone (before you got hold of the vehicle) had a problem with one or more of the catches and rather than fix that, spent a lot of time swinging from the handle to get it to open and they have stretched a cable or damaged the handle. I think you will need a new one.

I've read a couple of times on forums of problems with the cables and people having to replace them.

Odd that the mechanic had no problem with opening the door, I know I have no problems with ours, but gf sometimes struggles, I have to remind her that the handle has to be pulled fully out before attempting to pull the door rewards.

I've not had much of a look at ours, but if the inner cable has stretched i'd be looking at adding an extra ferrule to the outer cable, although this might be compensating for a problem elsewhere in the mechanism.

The mechanic was a big chap and built like a ????.

The cables seem to be working from both handles to release the locking device at the BOTTOM of door when it is open to close the door. So is one of the two cables from the outside handle connected to the locking mechanism somewhere else?

Hi

We have had a similar problem on our two year old fiat. It became more and more difficult to open, pull the handle and nothing happened. A couple of times I had to go in the drivers doorvand bump it open with my hip.

When it went into for service the service manager came to look and I showed him that I could not open so he had a go and it opened fine. So we had another few goes and it open fine for him. It seemed to be how he just pulled the handle faster than me or my wife, but without really putting a lot of effort or weight behind the pull.

Anyway he said he would service and even I can open it now.

Peter

I think that the two Bowden cables are attached to a junction box of sorts in the door as they both operate the mechanism to prevent the door from closing. I am sure that the problem lies with the elbow joint hinge which slides in the main runner on the side of the body of the van. there is an Allen bolt on this elbow and is tight. I have oiled and greased this joint and groove and the door is much better now for opening. I may take it to a Peugeot dealer to make this adjustment on the joint.

Archived