2015 130MJ Euro V Ducato Oil Usage

veletron

Hi

Been a wee while eg 6 months since I checked my oil, but this morning I noticed it down below the lower marker on the dip stick. It was mid-way. Nothings leaking out from under it.

Where is the oil going?! should it be burning oil at this rate? With a 2 year service interval, and most folks never checking their oil level, I would expect oil burn to be negligible.

Where's it going, and whats it gonna have done to the DPF?!!

No oil in the water or vice versa BTW

Nigel

Prob done 6000 miles in last 6 months. Fed the van 2 litres of oil to bring the oil level back to the upper end of the indent on the dip-stick. I would guess last time I looked 6 months ago, it was in the middle somewhere, when I looked the other day it was below the lower marker. Guess its eaten 1 litre of oil in those 6000 miles.

Nigel

There is advice in the Ducato Owner Handbook regarding “Engine oil consumption”. This reads as follows:

"The maximum engine oil consumption is usually 400 grams every 1000 km.

When the vehicle is new, the engine needs to be run in, therefore the engine oil consumption can only be considered stabilised after the first 5,000–6,000 km.

IMPORTANT The oil consumption depends on driving style and the conditions under which the vehicle is used.

IMPORTANT After adding or changing the oil, let the engine run for a few seconds and wait a few minutes after switching it off before checking the level.

IMPORTANT Always top up using engine oil of the same specifications as that already in the engine.”

I suspect that Fiat would consider an oil consumption of around 1 litre per 6000 miles ‘acceptable’, but the only way to find out would be to ask them. I’m doubtful an argument that, as there’s a 2-year/30k miles service interval a Ducato should use neglible oil between service intervals, would carry much weight given the advice in the Handbook.

Indeed, Its fixed now, and will get checked monthly and topped up as necessary. I don't hang about in the van, as I like to just 'get there' - most of my trips being weekenders to destinations often 200 miles away from home in NW Scotland.

Just changed the air filter after 16K miles/ about 23 months - utterly filthy. Hate to think what state it would be in after the max 30K miles service interval.

I'll change the oil/filter at the weekend.

I note that Fiat are still using those stupid Pozi head screws that the heads rust to nothing on in no-time at all. Have they not heard of stainless steel?! Had to cut a slot in one of them with a hacksaw blade to get it out. Replaced with a K&N. Will replace with some hex head screws when they turn up.

Nigel

Archived