Inflatable Wheel Levelers

StuartO

A neighbouring Dutch MH was using inflatable wheel levellers (i.e. Chock substitutes) which I hadn't seen before - seemingly a clever Getman idea  you inflate using a tire inflator pump and they cater for a wheel lift of up to 14cm, so about 6 inches. They help to avoid sinking into soft ground too.  

The supplier's website is www.flat-jack.de and they cost about 110€ each. They appear to be simply an oval piece of tough plastic sheeting welded around the edge with a Schrader-type inflation valve on one of them sop it's not exactly high tech. I would guess the manufacturing cost is quite low. 

Given that almost all of the movement that we feel in our van when parked comes from flex in the tyre sidewalls I'd have thought that this system would exacerbate that and that the van would be wobbling around to the extreme. I suppose you could than crank up stabilisers to firm things up but it still doesn't seem ideal. Interesting though.

Steve928 - 2017-05-07 9:12 PMGiven that almost all of the movement that we feel in our van when parked comes from flex in the tyre sidewalls I'd have thought that this system would exacerbate that and that the van would be wobbling around to the extreme. I suppose you could than crank up stabilisers to firm things up but it still doesn't seem ideal. Interesting though.

I wondered about that - whether it would be like being on a waterbed, but remeber you only have two or at most three chocks in use at once, so the MH would always have at least one "foot" on the ground.

The Dutch guy who showed me his inflatable chocks was very enthusiastic about them.

Having checked the supplier's website, I see they only claim a maximum of 12cm of lift, rather than the 14cm the Dutch guy had quoted to me.

This product’s primary purpose is to protect the tyres of vehicles that are in irregular use.

I can see the potential advantages when used for motorhome levelling

http://www.flat-jack.de/en/air-pillow-camper.html

but do you really want to spend around £100, and would you want to be fiddling about with inflating the ‘air pillows’ on a campsite when it’s bucketing down with rain?

Monique

The only product of this type I can find is the “Flat-Jack” one (German-made and reviewed in Promobil magazine in February 2015). Perhaps you could provide webpage links to the alternatives, please?

Regarding my earlier question “...do you really want to spend around £100...?”, I’ve just noticed that the quoted cost of €119 is for a SINGLE Flat-Jack “Camper Plus” air-pillow.

Consequently, do you really want to spend around £200 (for a pair of Flat-Jack pillows) and would you want to be fiddling about with inflating them on a campsite in bad weather?

I'm on a riverside site in the Dordogne and a pair of these levellers would have been perfect because the ground was a bit soft and my chocks just kept digging in and I had to give up and change pitches. 

I agree these things are expensive and maybe they have a limited application but they do seem to me to have a place. At least they will be light to carry and should also be easy enough to deploy and inflate; I would probably use a portable battery pack/compressor, to serve as a backup starter pack as well. 

Derek the name is E-Muk airlift. Some data: 11 tons max per wheel. At 3.5 bar lift 16 cm, at 6 bars 18.5 cm. Max 20 cm. Impressive product. Start whit a pair. Not cheap at about 270 euro each and a weight of 3.6 kilo but saw figures 4 kg too. You drive on inflatable and pump up. How you drive off? They have schrader connections for air same as you tire. You can use your fix and go kit but not whit the latex bottle connected. Look at you tube about them. The original site is www.emuk.com/hebekissen-html. But their are traders all over the EU.

Archived