Securing scooter in garage

davidmac

Hi I have just put a deposit on a Rapido motorhome with a rear garage. I am looking for tips on how to secure my Honda Innova in the garage. There are three eyes for fixing straps along the wall/floor joint on each side and my thinking is that I can put a strap from the the rear handle/carrier to each side at the rear and another wider ratchet strap across the seat and down to the middle two eyes. Will this be sufficient ?

Regards David

First question, are the holding down eyes on a rail where they can slide along or are they fixed?

Secondly, you really need a device whereby you can hold the scooter in the vertical position while you strap it down, unless you can get a second person to hold it in position. You can purchase a metal cradle which traps the front wheel in position. Or, a vertical plywood panel with cut-out to accept the profile of the front wheel. I use a timber U section (full length of garage) 100mm wide to retain the scooter temporarily.

For strapping down, I just use a handlebar webbing system, available at most motorbike shops. The ends of the webbing are attached to ratchet straps connecting with the holding down eyes.

I drive the scooter into the garage using engine power. My wooden U section within the garage is at the same level as the lower lip at the garage entrance. This makes it easier to reverse the scooter out under manual power.

My scooter is a Honda PCX so weighs 130kg. Your Honda is probably about 100Kg so a bit easier to handle.

As long as the structure you intend attaching the straps to are of sufficient strength and you put the scooter on it's centre stand those 'should' be sufficient to restrain it in a fore/aft direction subject to the forces imposed on it of course.  Also don't forget the side/side movement (yes even on the centre stand assuming it has one as most 'scooters' seem to) so a strap around the handle bar holding the front brake on is something those of us who used to transport motorcycles a lot always ensured was in place.

I've never considered supporting my scooter on the centre stand as the previous poster suggests. The front wheel will be off the ground. And the stand could puncture the floor of the garage unless it was protected by a metal reinforced covering.

Good point though about restraining any lateral movement of the scooter (as you go round bends in the road). The restraining straps will help but a more physical restraint system would be better. I position a securily located wedge behind the back wheel. The front wheel is hard up against the side of the garage.

A spreader plate or piece of timber will do the floor 'protection' job for you.  Another option for lateral restraint (looking at pictures of your model of 'ped') is just a tie down strap around the 'step through' front end bodywork or off the handlebars......not overly tight obviously.

Hi the scooter rack on my old m/h was home made with a hockey stick shaped aluminium channel for the scooter to sit in. I plan to reuse this in the Rapido and make a hinged flap to hold the rear wheel. The garage is not big enough for me to get in alongside the scooter and pull it onto the centre stand so I think I will have to rely on the ratchet straps and the channel to hold it upright. Thanks for your replies.

Regards David

Archived