North coast 500

tonyg3nwl

Hi folks, we have spent a few days going anticlockwise round the route, which means that the view points are in general on the other side of the road. Lots of traffic going the other way round, so frequently having to give way at passing places..

Obviously a lot of effort put into promoting the route, but very little investment in upgrading the roads..too many potholes for the unwary.

Personally, not very impressed, more sales pitch than real interest for me.. Back at dingwall now in the sunshine, for a few days before beginning the back to base journey..

Isle of skye, doesnt seem to have been included in the 500, but we went anticlockwise right round , in mixed weather, generally dryish, but low cloud on the Cullin hills.

Lots of German and Dutch vans and a fair few French as well. Beware dustbin lorries, they WILLpass you.

An experience to be repeated??? If they spend some money fixing the potholes..

Tonyg3nwl.

Not impressed ? I can't believe it ,should have ventured 'pass of the cattle ' that one diversion would have changed your perception for sure , weather permitting . Plus that's what passing places are for ? Doing the 500 ? Is not a race ,take time let the locals pass . I have been doing northern Scotland for years before the term '500 'in fact going up there in 2 weeks time can't wait . Over the last 3 yrs deffo getting popular for MH , enjoy !

We were hoping to do the NC500 this year so I've read your points with interest Tony, especially the vehicle passing and pothole issues.

That being said, I've just read this months copy of MMM magazine and there's an article that talks about the number of new MHs registered by year ending March-17; 13,000 in total.

It looks as if the NC500 is going to get even more congested!

We sort of did the nc500 several years ago, I don't remember there being any more potholes than we have locally. I understand it's already getting busy up there this year, this will have spoilt it for us. It's getting harder by the year to get 'far from the madding crowd'.

I do hope anyone tackling the NC500 enjoys it. They should, especially the Pass of the Cattle / Bealach na Ba to Applecross.

And please respect the locals and commercial traffic. There have been reports of inconsiderate tourists holding up traffic. Pull over and let others pass.

arthur49 - 2017-05-25 10:47 PM

I do hope anyone tackling the NC500 enjoys it. They should, especially the Pass of the Cattle / Bealach na Ba to Applecross.

And please respect the locals and commercial traffic. There have been reports of inconsiderate tourists holding up traffic. Pull over and let others pass.

I agree. Many think that Passing Places are to allow oncoming vehicles to pass but they are also to allow faster moving vehicles to overtake. I live up a single track road so understand the issues.

I also think that there is a certain tyranny about the NC500 where people think that they must complete the route in one go. Why not do as we all did before the designation and visit the places we wanted to see, returning to visit others later? And, yes, do take detours.

We returned home on Sunday after 4 weeks going round Scotland (up the west from North Wales, to Culzean Castle for the start. Onto Loch Lomond, through Glencoe, over to Skye (where we experienced our first 'single track road with passing places'), back onto mainland and up to Durness, across North Coast to John O'grouts, down to Black Isle , skirted around Edinburgh, to Loch Rannoch, down to Glenrothes, onto Melrose before driving through Yorkshire to Lincolnshire for family 'rally' before home to North Wales. 2025 miles, 14 campsites. I absolutely loved the driving including the single tracks, a fabulous view around every bend. Yes the road surfaces could be better but you're on holiday so no need to rush. Let cars from behind pass you and you'll get a friendly beep of the horn and everyone waves. Enjoy the drive, enjoy the scenery and let the stresses of everyday life pass by.

John52 - 2017-05-26 7:28 AM

arthur49 - 2017-05-25 10:47 PM

They should, especially the Pass of the Cattle / Bealach na Ba to Applecross.

Agreed its a great drive on a nice day.

But from my memory the Buttertubs pass is as good, and perhaps not so far to go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttertubs_Pass

Another vote for Buttertubs. But not so far to go? Depends where you start. :-D

Hi Everyone

I would vote for both the 2 roads discussed

The Bealach na Ba to Applecross and the Buttertubs out from Hawes in gods own country of course and I would add one further great road to try Hardknott Pass, Eskdale and while you are there also Wrynose pass, Little Langdale both in the Lake District and can be connected together.

But if you really want to appreciate them ride them on your bike and not drive in the motorhome - He He

Regards

Wiggy

:-D :-D

Hi Everyone

I would vote for both the 2 roads discussed

The Bealach na Ba to Applecross and the Buttertubs out from Hawes in gods own country of course and I would add one further great road to try Hardknott Pass, Eskdale and while you are there also Wrynose pass, Little Langdale both in the Lake District and can be connected together.

But if you really want to appreciate them ride them on your bike and not drive in the motorhome - He He

Regards

Wiggy

Hardnott pass is a lot tougher. My X2/50 Maxi van can't get up an S bend on a steep tight corner going towards Ambleside. (loses traction) But I can do it in the other direction as going through it downhill.

But you could do Buttertubs or Applecross in any motorhome.

Places to stay on or close to NC500

1. On west cost - Loch Clash Pier at Kinlochbervie at 58.459642, -5.056447. Used to be free but now £15/night. Water and waste and EHU. Funds go to local community

https://klbcompany.wordpress.com/Loch%20Clash%20Stopover/

(Google Street View is out of date. This spot has been completely renovated and is no longer a bit of an eyesore, indeed its very pleasant)

2. East coast - Fab spot at Latheronwheel Harbour at 58.270455, -3.380944. Free. No facilities. But our Dutch friends know about it so its quite popular!

Wiggy - 2017-05-26 12:21 PM

Hardknott Pass, Eskdale and while you are there also Wrynose pass, Little Langdale both in the Lake District and can be connected together.

If you are going to try these two with a motorhome then let the world know so you have clear run and then you might get away with it.

We recently did them with the car and my other half who is usually happy to sit in the passenger seat of our PVC on any road I want to drive said not this one!

Dave

Archived