Water leak from Galley taps/

Tall_Mike

Over the weekend - my wife pulled out our cutlery draw and exclaimed, - some of the stuff is wet. - and so it was. - What seems to be happening is when we turn on the galley mixer tap - there are 2 pipes leading up to the base of the tap, underneath with blue pressure joints, - Water from the cold feed is trickling down the cold pipe from the underside of the tap - fortunately only when when the tap is on, past the blue joint and downwards. - Easy solution, don't turn the tap on.

- It really is at the back of everything against the van side wall and hard to notice, To see it properly it's necessary to take the drawers out and stretch in. I am planning to get it fixed asap and ensure that no more drips down, a judicially placed ice cream tub now catches most of it for the very short term -

My concern is that the water will have flowed onto the wheel arch, down that through the insulation and then under the floor. It may have been leaking like this for a while and we simply didn't notice.

Are there any drain holes under the floor to let the water out and allow the insulation to breath? -

Or could there now be water trapped on the floor pan in a puddle ? - that might be there pretty much for ever. a friend had a Landover Discovery that had this problem, water leaked in and flowed down to the floor pan whence it stayed, eventually causing mayhem with the wiring loom which also runs under there along the bottom.

- Hard to estimate how much water might be there - possibly a few ltrs has gone down over time, but even a little leak can draw a surprising amount of water over time,

I seem to remember you have a Burstner, possible with a double floor. Perhaps you could add your van type to the location box + your location - makes life much easier for those replying !!!

My double floor Carthago developed a leak from the cold pipe. Only noticed when parked on a gravel campsite when a damp patch developed at the side of the van.

Suggest you tilt the van to one side and see if you get any drips. There shouldn't be a buildup of water because of gas dropout holes. My underfloor dried out pretty rapidly after I fixed the leak. You could always put the heating on and open up any heating vents within the double floor - assuming you have a double floor !!!

Thanks

- We have a Sun Living Motorhome (not a PVC model), basically a badged Adria, the floor isn't doubled layered in the sense of storage however it has blocks of insulation I think with a lino type material on the top (don't think it is - but maybe some type of ply).

It would have run down the inside of the wheel arch, most likely towards the middle of the van adjacent to the habitation door. There are no indications of problems or even a damp smell, - but I guess that by the time there are water related things to notice, it's too late. We now know what the problem is and the source will be stopped so not too much more should be added.

Worried that the water would have flowed down into the insulation blocks which might act like a sponge, - If there are vents underneath, (by no means certain) certainly a good idea to park so these vents are at the lowest point and see if anything comes out -

Maybe worrying unnecessarily however the water will have gone somewhere, don't know how much there may have been - just come back from an 18 day trip, - it's possible the thing was leaking the entire time without us noticing.

Inspection of leaking in a double floor, be aware their are variants is very difficult. So Is the risk of leaking., open all hatches to get some light in the cellar. And do a water test. In the drain down pipes do a flush test. In case you find out the cause dry out your double floor by heating. A swell in wood can not be corrected, in insulation it can be dried out.

Archived