LPG Fixed Tank Corrosion and Heat Shield

agedone

Hi

We have an underslung fixed lpg tank and have two concerns.

The tank is next to the back box of the exhaust system but there is no heat shield, should there be one?

There is evidence that the original paint on the tank has, in the past, flaked off and subsequently been painted with a ruberised coating, should I be concerned?

Hope someone knows?

Depends on whether the re-coat was done properly or not - which you'll likely never know. If it was rubbed down, primed, painted etc then it should all be well.

The original powdercoat on my underslung tank was not up to the job. The paint flaked, I had to drop the tank, rub it down and paint it properly. It then got a dose of schulz for weather/chip protection afterwards.

The 'heat shield' serves to direct the heat away from the tank but it main advantage is that it provides stonechip protection. My tank was fitted further back. If the tank is mounted using a pre-formed mounting frame then you might be able to retrofit a heat shield bought from the likes of GasIt or buy some chequreplate and form something yourself.

https://www.metals4u.co.uk/aluminium/c1/sheet/c21/treadplate/c11/3mm-thick/p3?showvat=true&gclid=CjwKEAjw1PPJBRDq9dGHivbXmhcSJAATZd_BP_boqv9pOhpf3luEI75M7UEsonUivjdsVOPt92y7GxoCwD3w_wcB

Nigel

Nigel

You should probably talk to Autogas 2000 (www.autogas.co.uk) who are experts on underslung LPG tanks.

LPG tanks are relatively low pressure storage tanks with relativelt thin steel plate walls, usually working at around 12 BAR pressure, compared with 200 BAR for compressed air cylinders.  All pressure vessels are supposed to be pressure tested every ten years but in practice, with LPG tanks and refillable gas bottles, they are probably replaced instead, since testing facilities are hard to come by.

I agree with StuartO - Chris Wyse at Autogas 2000 has huge experience of under slung tanks. On a previous van conversion I took it straight to him from new and he was quite shocked at the thin metal bands holding the full weight of the tank to the chassis and the tank being unprotected amongst other issues. He replaced the powder coated mild steel straps with proper steel bands and sprayed anti chip coating over the whole thing.

Whilst I was there a large Hymer came in (was staying up the road at Thirsk racecourse) dragging a huge under slung tank that was held on by the one remaining this band!

Perhaps these tanks should not be fitted in this way and I believe Chris is a member of a working group formulating proper regulations for under slung LPG tanks.

David

I do not like a lpg tank in the underbody of a motor home. However on the alko- chassis it is well fitted and protected. It is typical for the UK market. We use lightweigt, however burst tested BP- LIGHT, propane bottles stores in lockers whit crash sensors working as automatic shut off valves just the manual closing valve. In case of two bottles 22Kg running propane. It is very dry.Lpg is more wet

Archived