EGR Valve problems

sshg

I have an Autotrail with Fiat 3000 year 2008. I've had intermittent problems with symptoms that would suggest the EGR valve is sticking open. It usually happens once per trip, there doesn't seem to be any link to when or why and can go as quickly as it came.

I'd like to blank off the EGR for a few trips just to prove it is the EGR sticking but cant find anyone who sells a blank to match this engine and year.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Steven,

Nick (Euroserv) noted this problem in a post of his dated 28 Jul 2010 where he mentioned that the 2.3 and 3.0 Ducato EGRs were sometimes affected by the following two issues:

1. Broken butterfly valve in the EGR unit.

2. A wiring problem in the loom below the nearside headlight.

I'm more of a Landrover Defender guy and we have the same issues with the 2.2 and 2.4 Landy units; bloody EGRs - I hate the things.

All the best,

Andrew

sshg - 2017-06-12 5:05 PM

I'd like to blank off the EGR for a few trips just to prove it is the EGR sticking but cant find anyone who sells a blank to match this engine and year.

I got mine (for the 2.2) from this guy. Can you see any here that might fit - or send him an email and ask?

Stainless steel is safest - aluminium might melt, mild steel might rust and blow shards of rust into the engine. See link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bertye1958/m.html?item=120940252274&hash=item1c2899cc72&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Hello.

It won't be the EGR valve. It never is.

You need a new throttle body. This is the bit at the front of the engine that the turbo pipes are attached to. You will also need a new connecting wire as the plugs have changed and a couple of gaskets.

Nick

checked and no sign of mice.

If I blank the vacuum pipe to the top diaphragm on the EGR (assuming it is closed now as I don't have any problems) the EGR should remain closed at all engine conditions? will this cause me any other issues?

There is a test for when it is sticking or broken and that would be evident by excess smoke and no response from the accelerator pedal. This suggests a mechanical fault in the TB. In this case, removing the right hand rubber pipe from the solenoid valve would cure this but your fault is electrical. The TB is being told to do something and it is not responding. It is intermittent now but will become more frequent. With a more frequent problem or if it is present all the time, you can plug in the new TB and just dangle it loosely over the old one (left where it is fitted) and the fault will go away. In these cases where it is 'on the way out' there is little to do but take the leap of faith.

I have seen this fault 20 or more times on 3.0 engines and a new TB always solves it.

hi Nick

sorry if these are stupid questions but just want to be sure I'm looking at the right parts. You say:

The TB is being told to do something and it is not responding. It is intermittent now but will become more frequent. With a more frequent problem or if it is present all the time, you can plug in the new TB and just dangle it loosely over the old one (left where it is fitted) and the fault will go away.

can you confirm which part I need to fit - sorry if a stupid question.

sshg - 2017-06-13 5:16 PM

hi Nick

sorry if these are stupid questions but just want to be sure I'm looking at the right parts. You say:

The TB is being told to do something and it is not responding. It is intermittent now but will become more frequent. With a more frequent problem or if it is present all the time, you can plug in the new TB and just dangle it loosely over the old one (left where it is fitted) and the fault will go away.

can you confirm which part I need to fit - sorry if a stupid question.

Hi Nick

just wondered if I can change only the actuator and not the full throttle body? just seems alot easier for an electrical issue.

Thanks

euroserv - 2017-06-13 10:06 AM

Nick

Not with your whitevanmen driving because they give it plenty of revs to keep the EGR valve free. (lol)

Wheras we old duffers in motorhomes don't give the EGR valve so much exercise it clogs up and jams sometimes :-S

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-06-13 7:39 PM

Nick

Not with your whitevanmen driving because they give it plenty of revs to keep the EGR valve free. (lol)

Wheras we old duffers in motorhomes don't give the EGR valve so much exercise it clogs up and jams sometimes :-S

Looking at your avatar......it appears your EGR maybe blocked :D .......

pelmetman - 2017-06-13 8:22 PM

Nick

Looking at your avatar......it appears your EGR maybe blocked :D .......

I don't have that problem because I have a fibre diet. One of the things I like about taking your own kitchen with you is you don't have to put up with white bread, white pasta, peeled potatoes etc :-D

Nick

I note you have a 2.2, when our 2.3 was at Pug garage and no EGR available they took off the EGR to clean it, apparently a common thing on Pugs, but on our 2.3 Fiat it was 'clean as a whistle', The mechanic and manager seemed to be amazed.

Like i said, and thank you Colin; The 2.3 and 3.0 Fiat engines are very clean running and do not accumulate dirt in the EGR system. Ford and Peugeot however do collect enormous quantities of gunk that blocks and jams up everything. High mileage, or low mileage; it makes little difference.

Getting back to the job in hand.....

For the 3.0 engine, you should enter the part number 504264089 into ebay and it will show you what you need to replace. This part number will get you the latest (Euro 4) TB from Iveco or Fiat dealers. The unit is manufactured by Pierburg and can also be bought from factors or on-line. I have seen other brands of TB listed for these vehicles but i have not tried them so cannot recommend any. Although Iveco dealers sell the item for considerably less than Fiat; you would not be able to claim warranty if it failed and you had fitted an Iveco part on a Fiat. Worth bearing in mind.

If the throttle body has not been changed before, you will need a converter cable (504388738) as well. This is very expensive for what it is so if the vendor is bundling one with the TB it is worth £50 at least.

In all cases, replacing the TB with the later version has also improved driveability with better throttle response and better fuel economy when used wisely!

Just to be clear.... The above relates only to Euro 4 3.0 engined Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen vehicles built between 2006 and 2012. Similar problems exist with 2.3 Euro 4 engines and the results of changing the TB's would be the same but obviously the part numbers would be different.

Sorry a cant follow this exactly. all EGR have this problem. You are not allowed to blank off in the first place. all egr valves are the same whatever their make. The same as their cooler units, and their throttle bodies. And their injector systems. It is all wone big family. But diesels will be on the market for years to come

Archived