Why drive for miles and miles in a mobile box.

Will86

stvekay - 2017-06-17 12:19 PM

Sorry, just meant on caravan club sites you have to park with one corner of van by a white peg.

Hope you enjoy Sweden we had a fabulous time in Denmark and sweden.

Regards Steve Kelly

I thought you were taking the p.. micky. Are you being serious? If so, how big is the peg.? And as long as one corner is on the white peg can the rest of your van stray on to adjoining pitches And what sad .....errr person came up with that for goodness sake. ( I'm being very restrained here). The world has gone mad or at least the caravan clubs have. They are becoming a laughing stock. What is the matter with these people. (lol) (lol) :D

keninpalamos - 2017-06-18 7:46 PM

stvekay - 2017-06-17 12:19 PM

Sorry, just meant on caravan club sites you have to park with one corner of van by a white peg.

Hope you enjoy Sweden we had a fabulous time in Denmark and sweden.

Regards Steve Kelly

I thought you were taking the p.. micky. Are you being serious? If so, how big is the peg.? And as long as one corner is on the white peg can the rest of your van stray on to adjoining pitches And what sad .....errr person came up with that for goodness sake. ( I'm being very restrained here). The world has gone mad or at least the caravan clubs have. They are becoming a laughing stock. What is the matter with these people. (lol) (lol) :D

We haven't used a "club" site in years, and although I've had the odd dig at their little marker posts in the past (and the occasional run-in with a 'warden),in reality these "pegs" are little more than pitch markers, not unlike many non-club "sites" and stopover locations will have..It's just that they are positioned to align with the vehicle corner, so as to help maintain as safe a vehicle/awning/canopy spacing as possible for the given space.(fire regs etc).

Now that may not sound very cool or groovy, to these supposed free spirited road rebel types, but hay ho.. ;-)

(presumably, when folk pull onto a carpark, they do park between the lines? or do they think they are sticking it to the man, by parking on the pish? :D )

I had a good laugh over the peg nonsense. It all sounds oh so very "British". (lol)(lol)

Occasionally you find this eccentric behaviour elsewhere though and a German couple who arrived at a place i was staying spent ages manoeuvring their PVC into place. They had a damn spirit level to make sure the van was parked level. I just drive on, look behind at my bed and if it looks level.....that's good for me. I've got a pair of ramp things but never used 'em......i can't be ar$ed! Waste of money!!

I think some folk get a perverse pleasure faffing around with pitching on site. :-S

Bulletguy - 2017-06-19 9:57 AM

I had a good laugh over the peg nonsense. It all sounds oh so very "British". (lol)(lol)

Occasionally you find this eccentric behaviour elsewhere though and a German couple who arrived at a place i was staying spent ages manoeuvring their PVC into place. They had a damn spirit level to make sure the van was parked level. I just drive on, look behind at my bed and if it looks level.....that's good for me. I've got a pair of ramp things but never used 'em......i can't be ar$ed! Waste of money!!

I think some folk get a perverse pleasure faffing around with pitching on site. :-S

It depends on the layout of the beds. If longitudinal it can be a problem if too much side slope. You fall out of bed!! We try to get as flat as possible, but sometimes it is difficult . , and you know you are walking uphill a bit. Some sites are tricky on older sites , the new ones do tend to make flat pitches. We live on a hill, and when van is at home it is impossible to park flat, but at least it makes draining the waste easy!

PJay

The Big Question is, of course, do you have to provide your own white peg or are you allocated one on arrival?

Having just come back from 4 days on site (not a club site), I'm amazed at how many people spend hours on site washing and cleaning their MH or caravan. I know I'm a slovenly soul and don't wash the exterior of the vehicle as much as I should but when I do, it's at home. Why pay for fuel to go to a site, plus site fees and then spend a good chunk of the time doing chores? What am I missing here?

sniffy

sniffy - 2017-06-19 7:20 PM

The Big Question is, of course, do you have to provide your own white peg or are you allocated one on arrival?

Having just come back from 4 days on site (not a club site), I'm amazed at how many people spend hours on site washing and cleaning their MH or caravan. I know I'm a slovenly soul and don't wash the exterior of the vehicle as much as I should but when I do, it's at home. Why pay for fuel to go to a site, plus site fees and then spend a good chunk of the time doing chores? What am I missing here?

sniffy

No I dont get that one either. I watched a bloke on a small site in Switzerland once spend hours going backwards and forwards to the sinks (100 metres from his van) with a hand full of cutlery and the odd pot. He then spent the rest of the day cleaning his van. Maybe some blokes do it to get away from the wife. :D

Its not been a proper trip if your van doesnt come back covered in sand, dust and bugs from half a dozen countries.

sniffy - 2017-06-19 7:20 PM

sniffy

I agree it does seem odd behaviour. Maybe they are the sort of folk with coloured block paved drives, front gardens border by white plastic chain link fencing and a nagging wife who 'wears the trousers'.

My van exterior is currently caked in dirt having driven for miles on a road undergoing repair. As it had rained everyone had to drive through this mudbath. I try to keep things relatively tidy inside the van but as i'm not the tidiest of people by nature, plus travel solo, that sometimes goes by the board too!

Bulletguy - 2017-06-20 8:33 AM

...Maybe they are the sort of folk with coloured block paved drives, front gardens border by white plastic chain link fencing and a nagging wife who 'wears the trousers’...

Aren’t those mandatory requirements for participating on the Chatterbox forum. ;-)

I must admit I am in the camp (no pun intended) of keeping our van clean at all times. Same with our cars - I can't live with a dirty car or van, inside or out. It is probably a sickness really but it keeps me busy during the quiet spells in between doing all the other holiday stuff. You will often see my wife chilling outside the van with a book and a glass of wine whilst I am wiping something down as I can't sit down for more than 5 minutes without getting bored. Takes all sorts.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-06-20 8:52 AM

Bulletguy - 2017-06-20 8:33 AM

...Maybe they are the sort of folk with coloured block paved drives, front gardens border by white plastic chain link fencing and a nagging wife who 'wears the trousers’...

Aren’t those mandatory requirements for participating on the Chatterbox forum. ;-)

Not in my case Derek. No naff plastic chain links and had my front garden ripped out before i'd retired and flagged the lot.......cheap, practical and maintenance free. (lol)

And a breach of planning law if you do it nowadays - flagging or tarmacing more than 5 square meters in front of your house these days requires permission, although you can still flag or tarmac round the side or at the rear. 

The measure is aimed at limiting increases in water run-off and thereby relieving pressure on storm water drains.  You will be made to use porous materials if you want to do it nowadays.

StuartO - 2017-06-21 9:22 AM

And a breach of planning law if you do it nowadays - flagging or tarmacing more than 5 square meters in front of your house these days requires permission, although you can still flag or tarmac round the side or at the rear.

The measure is aimed at limiting increases in water run-off and thereby relieving pressure on storm water drains. You will be made to use porous materials if you want to do it nowadays.

Doubt i've got that much at the front but the plan was twofold really. One, i know sod all about gardening and not interested in it, and secondly some silly prat of a previous owner had planted a conifer too near the house and also i knew the roots would eventually damage the drains.

The guy who laid them is a skilled paviour and he did a brilliant job. I actually get far better water run off than there was with the garden.....but then he knew what he was doing. I also use it to park my van much to the neighbours annoyance.....yep they've actually told me not to park it there and it's MY bloody drive!!! Childishly they've planted hollybush things and some kind of a tree which i have to keep cutting back as it spreads over my side.

Interesting you mentioned drainage and water though as not long after i bought the place i realised there was a problem with flooding in the back garden (also ripped that out now). Another neighbour who grew up in the area told me it all used to be farm land and there is a natural spring where i'm getting excess water after heavy rain. When the properties were built the developer ignored this. I've had an Environmental officer from the council come out but in short they aren't interested as it would be costly to rectify.

Archived