Dripping Thetford toilet flush

Robbo

I have a Thetford C-250CS toilet whose water supply is direct from the fresh water tank, via a Shurflo pump.

On the third day of our recent trip my wife noticed that the toilet bowl was nearly overflowing. Flush water was dribbling into the bowl. So, immediately turned off the pump. Unfortunately, the toilet cassette was already 80% full and we were on an Aire with no facilities.

Fortunately, we had a spare cassette (only previously used once). Armed with a bucket, unscrewed the fill cap of the cassette and allowed the excess to be collected in the bucket. Decanted the contents of the bucket into the spare cassette.

Next step was to address the cause of the leaking toilet flush. I was aware that the flush button energised an electronic water valve which allowed the flush water to discharge into the toilet bowl. Maybe debris had got into this valve and prevented it from closing properly.

A few years ago I purchased the "floe" system for clearing water from pipelines using compressed air, prior to winter layup. Thought it might be worth a go, so pressurised the system and operated the flush valve. Some black debris emerged initially. Pressurised the system a few more times to make sure all the debris had been removed.

Following this, the flush system was now operating normally.

I might add that I did disinfect the water system prior to the trip so this may have exacerbated the problem I experienced.

I've never had this problem before and not heard of anybody else having this problem, so thought I'd share my experience. Toilet problems can create a major inconvenience 8-)

The toilet fiush on my '98 Hymer has always been a problem just as you described.. I have replaced the solenoid valve 3 times now and have given up on it and disconnected the pipe to the valve and blanked it off. I use a plastic measuring jug to flush it now..I even got a letter from Thetford say the valves have been a bit suspect of late..Im glad they dont make brake parts

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to suffer from a dripping toilet flush.

Think keninpalamos has the right idea by blocking off the water supply to the flush valve and using a jug filled from the bathroom tap to flush the toilet. Back to basics and circumventing the modern technology.

I've always endorsed the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid). Trouble is, with the latest MH's it's difficult to buy one without all the latest gizmos.

I feel for all those newbies with state of the art MH's who haven't got a clue when things don't function as expected. Still, more lucrative work for the dealers, so not all bad B-)

Archived