Interior Lights off Leisure Battery...

harryajh

We have a 2001 Autotrail Cheyenne 2.8JTD, and are hoping to go without hook-up for the 1st time.

We gave it a trial on the weekend, good job we did, as the main Interior Lights don't work!

The battery is fully charged and the interior spotlights work fine. As soon as we switch the main lights on, they flash on briefly, then go off, and the battery indicator in the panel above the Door shows the charge as 0. Turn the switch off and after a few seconds, it returns to 13v +

I don't know much at all about Electrics but is this likely to be a "short" somewhere? (which I think means some exposed cabling or dodgy connection?), as they flash, I guess it's not the Fuse?

Everying works fine on hook-up.

Any ideas what I could try to pinpoint the problem? will take it in to a Garage if I have to but worried about the expense for something that I might be able to fix myself

thanks guys

When you say main interior lights, I assume that they are 12v not 240v. If the latter, may not be a leisure battery fault.

I think, I would start by taking the bulbs out of the interior lights, (LEDs or q-halogen ?) then replacing them one by one to see if it's a bulb or holder at fault.

Hope you find the fault before it costs too much to fix.

Rgds

I assume the interior lights work OK when the vehicle is plugged into 230v mains.

If so, turn on the interior lights when on EHU then turn off the mains. If the lights go out that would indicate your leisure battery isn't holding it's charge.

Do you know when the leisure battery was last replaced?

Interior lights are normally powered from the 12v system.

Replacing the bulbs with LEDS and also changing the liesure battery would go a long way to improving the interior lights, A short cut would be to use Battaid tablets in the leisure battery,they ae about £5 from Halfords and just place 1 or 2 in each cell,they chemically remove sulphation from the cells.

On our 2015 Swift Lifestyle the spot lights worked off 12v but the bigger corner lights were 240v. Quite useful way to check that the EHU was working properly.

Could that be your problem OP? Could they be 240 and not 12V?

Our new 2017 Elddis has the same bigger lights but they're 12v. Odd or what?

harryajh - 2017-07-03 12:57 PM

We have a 2001 Autotrail Cheyenne 2.8JTD, and are hoping to go without hook-up for the 1st time.

We gave it a trial on the weekend, good job we did, as the main Interior Lights don't work!

The battery is fully charged and the interior spotlights work fine. As soon as we switch the main lights on, they flash on briefly, then go off, and the battery indicator in the panel above the Door shows the charge as 0. Turn the switch off and after a few seconds, it returns to 13v +

I don't know much at all about Electrics but is this likely to be a "short" somewhere? (which I think means some exposed cabling or dodgy connection?), as they flash, I guess it's not the Fuse?

Everying works fine on hook-up.

Any ideas what I could try to pinpoint the problem? will take it in to a Garage if I have to but worried about the expense for something that I might be able to fix myself

thanks guys

Assuming the other lights that work from the battery are all 12V, the problem seems to be limited to the main lights. As the main lights work OK when on EHU, so via the charger/power pack, which should have a higher output voltage than the battery, it seems the battery voltage may be below a required level. Might the main lights be fluorescent? The flash when switching on with only the battery supplying power seems to suggest a fluorescent tube trying, and failing, to "strike". Isn't there an electronic starter, or ballast, of some sort in the fitting that converts the supply voltage to one suitable to "strike" the tube? I'm just wondering if that component may be failing, and can't convert the lower battery voltage adequately, but can when fed the higher power pack voltage. Anyone know if this is feasible?

Archived