Changing £'s for €'s

Den

keninpalamos - 2017-07-06 11:15 PM

PJay - 2017-07-05 6:12 PM

I wonder if when brexit happens. Will one be able to "buy" euros with cash sterling?(while abroad )

I know that when we used to go to Tenerife for winter hols. There always places where they would be happy to exchange £ for goods. (usually brits who lived there , but came back to Uk for holidays)

Not sure it was legal, Also there used to be a Brit run cafe in Calpe that would take £ for goods!

I have also been asked when using a CC to pay for camp sites, whether I want to pay in Euros or £.As i used nationwide I plump for euros, I guess this will come to a halt ?

i am sure they will still want our money, when we become "free" from Brussels .

Personally I think I will be too old to care what happens , as i doubt we will bother to travel outside UK. Still lots of places to see north of Luton Airport!!

PJay

You'll still need your passport to go anywhere north of the Watford gap, and you will have to practice the Yorkshire battle cry!.....How Much!!! :D

I know about Yorkshire (my son lives there) Not sure about passport, I need a translator with the accents!!

P

Hi

Get a Monzo card - its a prepaid mastercard that uses Mastercards foreign exchange rates - have found that these are close to and often better than the IBR (inter-bank-rate) that the banks exchange with each other at.

There is a big waiting list for Monzo cards, but they did a deal with money saving expert to jump the queue. I ordered mine and it came the next day. Here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards (scroll down to the green 'apply' button.

The signup process only works on a smartphone, and the ongoing use is managed only on a smartphone. At signup, you have to stick £100 on the card - but mine came the next day and I used it to buy my weekly train ticket so no hassle - you could also just march to bank when card arrives and get the £100 back in cash.

You reload from your UK debit card using the app (min amount £10) - can also do bank transfers to card, but takes longer. I like the flexibility, and anything you don't use abroad you just pull out of a cashpoint as £ once back in the UK. Its 'beta' currently, Monzo's first step to becoming a full bank offering a current account.

I did some calcs for my other half vs using her Santander card abroad. She is off cycling across the USA for 3 months!

Withdrawing $100 will cost you in GBP (£) (06/07/17)

Monzo: £77.55

Santander: £81.33

Buying $100 worth of stuff with card in shop will cost you:

Monzo: £77.55

Santander: £80.59

Buying $10 worth of stuff in shop will cost you:

Monzo: £7.76

Santander: £9.18

Withdrawing $10 from bank will cost you:

Monzo: £7.76

Santander: £9.92

----------

Exchanging £100 into dollars will get you:

Monzo: $129.47

Post office: $124.43

M&S: $125.04

Santander: $124.17

Nigel (No connection to Monzo, just a user)

This MonzaCard sounds like a useful thing.  I have just spent about 15 minutes going through the signing up process (which is very clever) and I may have achieved it - currently waiting for them to verify ID.  The smartphone app does it all - photos your driving licence or passport - even gets you to make a little ID video.  Amazing!

Eventually, after several goes at photoing my licence properly and doing the video, I took two goes at entering my debit card info but finally got all the way through.  The Monza Card is in the post.

The process is not for the feint hearted and I proved that it is nit idiot proof, but I got there in the end!

Archived